Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Fresh Air Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid Q - should others also e-mail them? I mean, it sounds like they're on the case and all, so I don't want to pile on if there's no point...???

No, I think it's a good Q, actually...

My inclination is to not inundate them on issues they've already acknowledged and have in active engineering. I'd hope that by keeping the signal-to-noise ratio high, we'll get better response from them overall.

I gotta assume they get a significant amount of email as it is...

No, I think it's a good Q, actually...

My inclination is to not inundate them on issues they've already acknowledged and have in active engineering. I'd hope that by keeping the signal-to-noise ratio high, we'll get better response from them overall.

I gotta assume they get a significant amount of email as it is...

On the other hand, they won't prioritize the bug fix if only a couple people complain.
I said they sent it to engineering -- doesn't mean they're working on it :)

Any update on this? I noticed the other day that the car reverted to fresh air mode despite having been set to recirculate. I was on 5.8.7 at the time.

When you first started up? If you turned it on remotely, that would explain it.

While driving? I've had it use "fresh" (cough, smog, cough) air occasionally when the heat's on; I found that forcing it to the foot+windshield locations prevents this. Which is a drag when I get cooler air and have to remember to toggle it manually. I've never figured out just triggers the outside air when set to recirculate--it's not every time, but it is tied to blowing warm air. (The auto heat settings are goofy anyway; always blowing at my feet; after a while, my feet are hot and the rest of me wonders why the heat's not on...clearly, auto settings for the direction just aren't for me.... ;-) )

(I'm on 4.x, FWIW.)

No, this occurred while driving. A/C not heat. I did not use the remote app. The UI setting indicated it was recirculating, but I clearly smelled exhaust entering the cabin. It is now apparently switching to fresh air without updating the UI. Some fix, if you ask me.

After you set it to recirculate, did you save your profile?

It shouldn't have anything to do with profile settings. If I verify that it is set to recirculate when I enter the car then I expect it to remain on that setting for the duration of the ride. It should not autonomously decide that I need fresh air, which is apparently what is occurring.

Has it been everyone's experience that when in auto mode that the icon updates to reflect the state it's currently in?

In my experience it seems to always be the icon that would indicate fresh air mode, with an "A" in the center. I always took that to be a static icon that simply indicated Auto mode, but not necessarily a live indicator of current state...

No, this occurred while driving. A/C not heat. I did not use the remote app. The UI setting indicated it was recirculating, but I clearly smelled exhaust entering the cabin. It is now apparently switching to fresh air without updating the UI. Some fix, if you ask me.

Whoops, that doesn't sound good...I've always seen the icon update, but I'm on an older version. Hmm.

- - - Updated - - -

Has it been everyone's experience that when in auto mode that the icon updates to reflect the state it's currently in?

In my experience it seems to always be the icon that would indicate fresh air mode, with an "A" in the center. I always took that to be a static icon that simply indicated Auto mode, but not necessarily a live indicator of current state...

I've seen the icons change while driving--the recycle change to smog, I mean "fresh," air. So yes, it's not a static icon. Also the number of white (versus grey) blades on the fan, indicating strength, IIRC.

Caveat: I'm on 4.x.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. Now if only it would indicate whether it thinks it's blowing hot or cold air.... ;-)

Ugh. The HVAC controls are still one of the weakest elements of this car.

The other day I wanted to just let the outside air inside without any of the cold air from the A/C and despite turning the A/C setting off the car proceeded to blow cold air out that was in no way the outside air temperature. If the Auto setting isn't used the car should just do the actions set in the controls. :sigh:

Stupid Q - should others also e-mail them? I mean, it sounds like they're on the case and all, so I don't want to pile on if there's no point...???

I'd say definitely e-mail them to have yet another owner that wants Windows Phone support to help build the critical mass. IMHO At the same time I'd say to mainly e-mail them to signify your interest, not to hammer them about the problem. We are beyond the hammering stage I think. :)

Thanks.

-m

Ugh. The HVAC controls are still one of the weakest elements of this car.

The other day I wanted to just let the outside air inside without any of the cold air from the A/C and despite turning the A/C setting off the car proceeded to blow cold air out that was in no way the outside air temperature. If the Auto setting isn't used the car should just do the actions set in the controls. :sigh:

I was hoping that the 5.9 release might have changed some of these behaviors...

The other item I started a thread on was enabling the A/C compressor with the windshield (aka "defrost") vents selected, despite having manually set A/C to "Off". This is when I want fresh cool outside air coming in without artifically chilling it.

This is hard to test unless the outside temp is warm enough to be able to detect the difference... and it's only recently started getting warm enough here for me to be able to test this since the new FW release...

Most cars I have owned in the past (even with manual A/C controls) start the A/C compressor when defrost mode is in use. The reason for this is to dehumidify the air going to the windshield to aid in the defrost process. As long as it isn't so cold that A/C compressor operation is inhibited, even going to max heat on the manual controls kept the compressor operating. I think the Tesla is doing something like this.

Most cars I have owned in the past (even with manual A/C controls) start the A/C compressor when defrost mode is in use. The reason for this is to dehumidify the air going to the windshield to aid in the defrost process. As long as it isn't so cold that A/C compressor operation is inhibited, even going to max heat on the manual controls kept the compressor operating. I think the Tesla is doing something like this.

I understand this for "auto" settings and/or when using the "Main Defroster Button" on the bottom bar of the UI (next to the temp controls. But if you open the subpanel and then have manual overrides available then they should be honored.

Slightly OT, but I miss having this functionality in my Model S. I like having air from both upper and lower vents simultaneous, but we can only choose one or the other with Model S. We can't select this split flow, which has been available on all of my previous vehicles.

5589,1209396404,5.jpg