Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to handle car wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can put the Model S in "neutral" and power it off, shouldn't have an issue going through an automatic car wash then...

There is a potential problem with this approach... What keeps the car behind you from getting pushed into the back of your car at the end of the wash? It might take a minute to power up the Model S again so you can drive off.

- - - Updated - - -

Washes where the driver stays in the car are no problem. Just put the car in neutral. Make sure that you keep your butt firmly planted in the seat all the way through the wash, otherwise the Model S will put itself in park! This happened to me when I tried to return my wallet to my pants pocket while midway through a wash. I have since recommended a "Car Wash Mode" to Tesla that would disable the auto-park feature.

Last edited:
The place where I'm talking about is one that puts the cars in an automatic wash (no one in the car). At the end of the line, someone gets in and drives it a very short distance to where it gets dried ( and any minor detailing work is done).

It's possible that they would stay in the car while it went through the wash...

Where I go the worker just drives the car thru the wash. The problem I have is when the clean the insides. When the clean the center display the reconfigure everything!

Last time they hit so many buttons that the media player "time of song" was stuck, even tho the music was playing (on both the center display and gauge display). Had to reset both.

Where I go the worker just drives the car thru the wash. The problem I have is when the clean the insides. When the clean the center display the reconfigure everything!

Last time they hit so many buttons that the media player "time of song" was stuck, even tho the music was playing (on both the center display and gauge display). Had to reset both.

At our local car wash . a driver takes the car through. We have enough MS going through this car wash in San Diego that the people who dry the car know not to touch the center display. I am very satisfied with the way the car looks after it is washed and no issues thus far.

At our local car wash . a driver takes the car through. We have enough MS going through this car wash in San Diego that the people who dry the car know not to touch the center display. I am very satisfied with the way the car looks after it is washed and no issues thus far.

Which car wash is this? I'm in Cardiff. I just picked up my Model S last week and with the rain today - it's in bad need of a wash. I was thinking I needed to start washing myself or hire a mobile detailer.

Lol. Indeed! I think I am also the first Kook with a Model S. I have seen an orange Roadster cruisin' around, but I don't know if he's local. Thanks for the welcome! :smile:
The Orange Roadster is local, his name is Rob Wilder (google his name and Tesla for some articles about him).

I go to Olson's, but I don't have a Model S! Frankly I'm not sure if I'd trust either them or Encinitas Car Wash to get the Model S through... I would probably prefer Olson's simply because no machines touch the car where at Encinitas Car Wash down the street it's mostly a machine wash.

I'm guessing some sort of association with this statue in Cardiff-by-the-Sea California.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Kook

Yes. Mostly a coastal North County joke. Google "cardiff kook and shark" to see the funniest "vandalism" of the kook.

- - - Updated - - -

The Orange Roadster is local, his name is Rob Wilder (google his name and Tesla for some articles about him).

I go to Olson's, but I don't have a Model S! Frankly I'm not sure if I'd trust either them or Encinitas Car Wash to get the Model S through... I would probably prefer Olson's simply because no machines touch the car where at Encinitas Car Wash down the street it's mostly a machine wash.

ah... thanks!

I just washed, sealed, and waxed my car by hand yesterday. It looks beautiful and is sparkling, but I think from here on out I will go to Del Mar Highlands or use the mobile detailer at my office. Doing it myself took all afternoon to do - I haven't done that in years and now I remember why!

After two weeks on the road I'm getting my first wash at Eco Green Auto Clean in Redwood City, CA. They wash the cars at the Tesla shop in Menlo Park and were recommended by them. Still, it was painful turning over the fob to a stranger (no, I haven't valeted it yet).