Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable other users with app access from viewing your location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I need help. My dad is getting me a Tesla to monitor my location. I don't do anything wrong or illegal, just things that he disagrees with. Like visiting friends who are different religions, going to restaurants that have pork on their menus, volunteering at a Baptist hospital. I can't let him see me be at those places because he can get abusive.

Is there and way to disable location features for non users? If not, is there a method to spoof your location or hack it? I'm good with tech, I can work on it.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

(Please don't offer me advice about communicating with him, or cutting him out of my life, or refusing to use the Tesla. I don't live in a pedestrian friendly city so walking is out of the question. I've considered every option and more and wouldn't be on here asking for help. I'm already working on myself and hope to be free from him soon, but this new dilemma isn't making it easier.)

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
In the car menu you can disable mobile access, which would prevent all app users from seeing the cars location. However, I don’t know how that solves the problem as your dad would see app access was disabled in his app and I would assume respond accordingly to you blocking it.

• Disagree
In the car menu you can disable mobile access, which would prevent all app users from seeing the cars location. However, I don’t know how that solves the problem as your dad would see app access was disabled in his app and I would assume respond accordingly to you blocking it.

I know that was an option, and that's what I was hoping to avoid.

I think the solution I'm looking for would be something like him being able to open the app and not being able to view the location since he isn't listed as a primary driver. Or being able to view the location only if he's driving it currently. I don't know if the car or the app would recognize something like that. It might not even be feasible.

Thank you for the help.

• Funny
If he is buying the car, he will have the master owner / driver account and there is nothing you can do to prevent him from doing anything with the car related to data, etc. YOU will probably be listed as the additional driver. Other than disabling data access in the car (in which case he would just tell you to turn it back on, or take the car away), there isnt much you can do.

There is no technical action you will be able to take because you will not be the owner of the car, he is.

You have some very tough decisions to make.

I didn't realize he would be listed as the primary driver. This does complicate things.

I appreciate the insight.

The purchaser of the car is the primary owner as far as tesla is concerned. He could probably take steps to just provide money and make you the primary owner, but there is no reason for him to do so (he would have to take specific action to notify tesla that he is just paying for the car, but you are the owner). Given your description of the issues you are facing, that action would be highly unlikely for him to take.

He may be "buying you a car" but its likely more accurate to say "he is paying for a car for you to drive, that he wants to track you in", based on the information you have currently provided.

As i mentioned, he will be listed as the primary owner, and would be adding you as a secondary driver more than likely, without specific action taken by him.

Good luck.

Hi, I need help. My dad is getting me a Tesla to monitor my location. I don't do anything wrong or illegal, just things that he disagrees with. Like visiting friends who are different religions, going to restaurants that have pork on their menus, volunteering at a Baptist hospital. I can't let him see me be at those places because he can get abusive.

Is there and way to disable location features for non users? If not, is there a method to spoof your location or hack it? I'm good with tech, I can work on it.

Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

(Please don't offer me advice about communicating with him, or cutting him out of my life, or refusing to use the Tesla. I don't live in a pedestrian friendly city so walking is out of the question. I've considered every option and more and wouldn't be on here asking for help. I'm already working on myself and hope to be free from him soon, but this new dilemma isn't making it easier.)
Call an Uber.

• Informative
Reactions: Ludalicious
How about you just buy your own car - there are cheaper options than a Tesla?

We dont know this OPs circumstance, and we also need to be cognizant that both from a family level, and a cultural level, sometimes families (and cultures) do things differently than we would.

Taking OPs statements at face value, OP has family ties that they dont want to destroy, while the head of the family is very specific about the way(s) they expect their children to act. It can be very easy to say we would do something different, but we are not the OP. OP specifically asked for focus on things that could or could not be done on a technical level, rather than "life advice" so it would be good if people would either help, or not, based on that wish.

...My dad is getting me a Tesla to monitor my location....

To prevent your dad from accessing your location, you need to make sure your dad has your name and only your name on the title and not both yours and your dad's name on.

Once you are the sole owner as prooven by the title, you can have the sole control over your Tesla account online.

You can choose when your dad has access to your car's app (and location) and you can also take him off from the Tesla account online so he doesn't have access to your car's app (and location) during that particular unauthorized period then put him back on whenever you want.

Other than that, you might solicit help from a hacker to hack into his account so you can log in as your dad and lock him out of the controls. It might be quite expensive in terms of money and also legal expenses especially if you end up in jail but if there's a will, there's a way.

We dont know this OPs circumstance, and we also need to be cognizant that both from a family level, and a cultural level, sometimes families (and cultures) do things differently than we would.

Taking OPs statements at face value, OP has family ties that they dont want to destroy, while the head of the family is very specific about the way(s) they expect their children to act. It can be very easy to say we would do something different, but we are not the OP. OP specifically asked for focus on things that could or could not be done on a technical level, rather than "life advice" so it would be good if people would either help, or not, based on that wish.

Taking the OP's statements at face value he also says he "hope to be free from him soon" - Presumably he would be handing back the Tesla at that point and would need to make other arrangements?

My point was just that he advances that choice.

• Love
Sorry to hear your situation OP.

As the others have explained, there's nothing you do for disabling/spoofing the location. Even if you can do that, your dad will notice something wrong eventually, and will ask to get the car fixed in that regard. Same for disabling mobile access.

I suppose the best way to go with this is to park somewhere else, when you are going somewhere that's not allowed per your family rules.