Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 30 days in my used 2014 P85 with 130,735 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C4431AF5-FF8C-42F6-A30C-96FB51805DD2.jpeg
I had been following Elon Musk and Tesla for about a year until I decided to one day to test drive the current 2014 P85 that I purchased. At the time it had many features that I really liked – it’s a TESLA!, super fast as a P, dark blue exterior / tan interior – my two decade favorite combo. Only negative was that it had 130,735 miles (Currently #30 on the Tesla High Millage Leader Board). However, is that a real negative? Not so much, it’s not an ICEV with its’ 200 moving engine parts. Plus, it is still under the 8-year motor and battery Tesla warranty. It wasn’t until I actually sat in it and drove it. I had no idea what life was like actually sitting behind the wheel, seeing the 17” screen, smelling the leather which smelled and looked brand new, and feeling that initial quiet take off speed. Unreal experience and hard to verbalize to others who have not experienced it physically. Needless to say I felt like a 49 year old child at Christmas in terms of the overall sensation and experience from that first test drive. I was sold and became a true believer at that moment. Best item I have ever purchased in my life.

I drove off the lot on the night of 22 Oct 2018 with about 120 miles of charge. Not long after driving the speed odometer screen blacked out for a few seconds and came back on, and then about halfway to the Woodbridge VA Tesla Supercharging station a sensor popped up stating that my tire sensor was faulty and that I needed to take it to a tesla service station. I did that about 5 days later to the Tyson’s Corner VA Tesla Service Center. I walked into the service area and met what looked like a service floor manager. Super cool guy and I told him the issue I was having. I gave him my name, phone number and VIN. However, the vehicle had not transferred into my name. This I learned takes about a week once you email to Tesla all of the documentation that they need, specifically the registration and not bill of sale. The floor manager still took in the P85 (Apparently if a Tesla is not in your name then they won’t work on it) and took a look at the sensors. 3 were bad. For $850 I can have all of the sensors replaced and the software updated/upgraded so I can see the tire pressure on the screen. I plan on doing that in Jan 2019 when I also plan on getting new tires put on. They suggested it so it sounded good. Additionally he mentioned that the odometer screen blacking out issue was because of a needed software update. He also mentioned another recall item that I needed to get done as well. So, overall the Tesla Service station experience at Tyson’s Corner was positive.

One thing I had to adjust to was the time for charging and destination planning for long range driving. All I have known is gas and the general feel based on the gauge for when to pull over to one of the abundant gas stations along the interstate. With the nascent Tesla enterprise and its sparse Supercharging Stations I had to figure out when I would stop and recharge along the route. A few weeks after driving locally in Woodbridge VA I was ready to make the drive to Whispering Pines NC, a 307 mile trek. Prior to leaving on a Friday afternoon I had charged the vehicle up to around 220 miles. I hadn’t maxed out the charge nor did I really know just how much I could charge based off of 130K of degradation (I later charged the vehicle overnight to 230 at a local Residence Inn which had 8 Tesla chargers for which no one was using). I wanted to play it conservative so I planned on stopping at one of the Richmond VA Supercharging Stations at 4441 S Laburnum Ave. I pulled up with about 90 to 100 miles left and it was vacant at the time with a plethora of chargers (20) and lots of nearby stores. I filled up to about 180 miles or so and then headed off to the South Hill VA Super Charging Station. I made it to South Hill with about 80 miles left. Once I pulled off the interstate I was like where are the chargers and they were located behind essentially a local restaurant and there were about 7 chargers. I charged up to again about 180 miles. At this point the Tesla algorithm was telling me that I had enough battery and miles to make it to my house. However, I was not factoring the typical don’t go below 20%, the fact that speed and weather (cold temps or wind) affects the actual milage, and that Tesla says that it is not a perfect representation of true percentage or actual miles. So, I headed off. When I reached Raleigh with an average speed of maybe 75 mph with some spurts of 78 from South Hill the algorithm kicked in to tell me to slow down to 60mph. This was when I was in a 70mph stretch of interstate on 540 leading to HWY 1. At this point the trip monitor was telling me all was cool to reach my house with about 20 miles to spare (yep, not sticking with 20%). I started to look for other Supercharging stations or Tesla chargers between Raleigh and Pinehurst/Southern Pines/Whispering Pines. Nothing in-between other than the Raleigh Super Charging Station. I had thought there was something in Sanford NC but nothing came up as an option. I dropped my speed to 60 getting passed by the ICEs. At about 10 miles from my house and reading the trip monitor and battery mileage it was telling me that I had 10 miles on the trip but 25 miles on the battery life. I was mentally high fiving thinking I was in the clear. I kept the low speed limit pace. At about 2 miles from my house, about 15 miles on the battery milage the vehicle warned me that it was shutting down and to pull over. This was not a good feeling. I started losing speed and I pretty much coasted to less than a mile from my house, and pulled over in my neighborhood in front of someone’s house. It was 10:00pm at night, cloudy, breezy and the sunroof was open and would not close because I did not have even enough battery life to close it. I said to myself, great, please don’t rain. The first phone call was to Tesla roadside assistance. That phone call at 1000 at night was a legit 1 plus hour wait time and they tell you up front it will be one hour. I finally get through and give them my information. Of course they can’t find me in the system because it still hasn’t transferred ownership (one issue with the delay was that I didn’t send the temp registration). They said they could get a Tesla affiliated Tow but I would have to pay for it since it was out of warranty. So, I decided to try Geico roadside and then a local tow. I couldn’t get ahold of Geico roadside assistance (Geico paid the eventual $200 for the Tow. Took only two days to get a check) and it seemed like I called 4-5 local tow companies. One answered, who had no idea about Teslas, and said it would be hours before he could get to me. So, I called Tesla back, waited 45 minutes and they contacted a tow service out of the Raleigh area. At 1130 at night they said it would be 4 hours until he could get to me. He called and said he could be there at 230. He didn’t know exactly how to handle a Tesla that had near zero battery life even though he had some experience with Tesla’s in the Raleigh area. Most of the work was with the Tesla rep who walked us through the process. First thing was popping off the front plastic cover to get access to the battery. Because it was so low on power we could not get the on button for the release brake to stay on. We had to essentially add a mobile battery pack to charge the 12V located behind the plastic front cover which we took off. Tesla roadside was able to actually monitor the charge and see it increase the 12V charge. However, it still wouldn’t work. At that point the Tow truck guy grabbed essentially jumper cables attached them to his truck and then to the 12V. That did the trick, parking brake released and I could steer the vehicle unto the Tow truck bed as it pulled it on. Once he drove the Tesla to my house I hooked up the charging cable to my garage 120 amp outlet and got the amazing 4 miles an hour charge going (I later created a 220V adaptor for my dryer socket (conveniently located by the garage). Bought a typical dryer 4-wire cable, attached it to a separate box to plug in the Tesla 4-prong adaptor and that gave me about 26 miles an hour of charge).

On Sunday around 530pm I was ready to head back to Woodbridge. I cannot remember exactly what I had charged the Tesla up to before leaving. I thought it was near 200 since the 180 mile charge didn’t give me enough distance on Friday. This particular night however it was 44 degrees out, raining and slightly windy for the entire drive to South Hill VA. Almost 60 miles into the trip the Tesla was telling me to drop down to 60mph while driving in a 70mph zone. It would later adjust and tell me to increase to 65 at some points along the trek. However, anytime I tried to increase speed it would warn me to slow down. Everything was good. I was about ten miles from the South Hill VA Super Charging station at about 830pm. I had about 28 miles on the battery mileage (3% left at the charging station),and about 9 miles out the warning came up that the Tesla was shutting down. Here we go again. Hard to imagine that I made the same mistake twice. I immediately pulled over on I95 unto the shoulder. At 830pm on a Sunday night you would be amazed at the amount of traffic. Semi’s would blow by shaking the Tesla. I called Tesla. One hour wait again, but they gave me some Towing numbers. One guy flat out said he wouldn’t help because he really didn’t know how to handle a Tesla electric vehicle. I finally got ahold of a towing place that gave a number for their guy and I essentially woke him up around 1000. About 45 minutes later he shows up in the rain. For what ever reason the 12V was fine and I was able to get the parking release button to stay in the on position. I popped off the front plastic piece in order to screw in the tow bar (learned this from the first mistake episode, turn counter clock-wise though to screw it in). We drove to the local restaurant (Kahills) with the Tesla charging stations. He lowered the vehicle perfectly to a stall but low and behold I was so low on power I could not get the screen to even power up to open the charge port. Of all things I ask the Tow guy (Bobby) if he had charging cables and he said no. Crazy talk, yes, I know. I pay him $164 for the tow and I ask some of the Kahill staff if they have jumper cables. It’s 1130 at night, raining and cold. One guy has a truck but no cables but a waitress has cables. I hook up the cables to the 12V and that gets the screen to come on and I am able to get the port open. However, it wouldn’t charge because I had left the tow bar in the socket. Once I took that out it began to charge. I am completely soaked through my parka, a jacket and two shirts. After about an hour of charging I head out to the Jefferson Davis Hwy, Chester, VA Tesla Supercharging station. No issues and I charge for about 30 minutes for which I had enough to make it to Woodbridge. Rolled in around 430am,barely got any sleep and was at the Pentagon by 830. I told the guys in the shop about my crazy adventures and they asked if I was thinking if I had made a mistake. I said no way. If anything I felt a little alive, especially when I was soaked and cold on Sunday night in South Hill.

The ultimate lessons learned from this first long range driving experience was that I needed to stay in the conservative and Tesla suggested 20% battery life zone at the Tesla charging station. I may be able to get away with 10% but it is difficult to gauge the degradation from excessive speed, weather and other factors. So, the last time in making the trip I have stayed at or about 25% hitting 3 Super Charging stations among the way, Glen Allen, South Hill and Raleigh with zero issues and peace of mind.

Finally, this whole experience has been somewhat surreal. Every time I get into the P85 I am amazed. The feeling isn’t some type of accomplishment or I have arrived type moment. It’s more about the vision behind Tesla. The innovation, anti-status quo and blazing a new trail for better transportation, and I am living it or being apart of it in my own little way. Additionally what’s really cool are my kids, especially my three youngest girls for which are in elementary, middle and HS. At all three schools their friends and other classmates are so excited about the Tesla. They aren’t asking does your dad have a Porsche or Audi. Nope, the future is Tesla and the ten year olds are excited.

I have been pulling my battery to as low as 7% (seen 3% once!) when I can make it to the next SC (so many here in CA) I may want to stop doing this and keep it above at least 15% on road trips, at home we always keep it between 50% and 90% which is probably not ideal going to 90% but I like the idea of having that range ready for any spontaneous trips, my fastest travel times are charging from 10/20% to 80% and charging every 150 to 180 miles

Reactions: trini0t3y
There have been reports of high mileage Teslas having issues calculating the correct SOC as the batteries degrade. Tesla loop had their battery replaced due to this software issue. I suggest you get in touch with your local service center pull the longs and ask them to fix the issue. I remind you that the car does have a 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive terrain. On a unrelated case what did you pay for the car? Im in the market for a high mileage tesla and have been tracking prices daily.

There have been reports of high mileage Teslas having issues calculating the correct SOC as the batteries degrade. Tesla loop had their battery replaced due to this software issue. I suggest you get in touch with your local service center pull the longs and ask them to fix the issue. I remind you that the car does have a 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drive terrain. On a unrelated case what did you pay for the car? Im in the market for a high mileage tesla and have been tracking prices daily.

What is funny about the cost of this P85 is that in no way do I believe the traditional ICE market has adequately adjusted to EVs. A high mileage EV is not a high mileage ICE. So, with that in mind, I got this P85 at a steal for $40,495, I talked the dealer down from $40,995 but would have taken it at that price, negotiating is just part of the game :). I honestly believe that this vehicle is probably really worth $60K. JMHO. But when I drive it it doesn’t feel or look like a $40K vehicle. 3 things factored into my decision. 1. I trusted Tesla more than any dealership. 2. Only one owner. 3. Never has been in an accident per the CARFAX report. So far so good. Zero complaints. From what I have researched I believe this battery will last 15 years and the motors based off of other motors in other devices have lasted 100 years. One could probably get a million miles from a 2014 P85 motor, and the tech is only going to get better.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
There are a couple of possible reasons that your estimated range is off that do not have anything to do with a bad, or even well-used, battery.

The first is that you have not gone all the way below 20% and all the way to 100% probably ever, which does not allow the Tesla battery management system to get a good grip on the capability of the battery. Not that that's a good idea, I think it's smarter to not do that and simply give yourself more buffer.

But the more likely reason is that you are running an older version of the firmware, if I understand what you said. You could give us the firmware number and we can tell you how far back you are. If you get the update the trip estimator also now takes into account elevation change, which can have a dramatic effect on your range of course. The new software is much, much better than the old at estimating.

Welcome to the Tesla family, by the way. I also bought my car third party, although from an individual. I now have over a hundred and thirty-five thousand miles on it, and still love it!

There are a couple of possible reasons that your estimated range is off that do not have anything to do with a bad, or even well-used, battery.

The first is that you have not gone all the way below 20% and all the way to 100% probably ever, which does not allow the Tesla battery management system to get a good grip on the capability of the battery. Not that that's a good idea, I think it's smarter to not do that and simply give yourself more buffer.

But the more likely reason is that you are running an older version of the firmware, if I understand what you said. You could give us the firmware number and we can tell you how far back you are. If you get the update the trip estimator also now takes into account elevation change, which can have a dramatic effect on your range of course. The new software is much, much better than the old at estimating.

Welcome to the Tesla family, by the way. I also bought my car third party, although from an individual. I now have over a hundred and thirty-five thousand miles on it, and still love it!

Yes, the software is like crazy old. V8. Looking forward to 9.
upload_2018-11-28_7-59-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-28_7-59-49.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-28_7-59-49.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 57
so did the Navigation not tell you to pull over at the super charger? did you ignore it? Why did you not charge to 100% for a trip?

I suggest you also down load an app called plugshare, and you can find all the other non-tesla chargers that are available for you j1772 in a pinch, put also the tesla destination chargers etc....

enjoy the new way of life... just takes a little bit more planning.

Reactions: Donz_S and Big Earl
As someone who drives long distances A LOT. if you're getting the warning don't just slow down, if you see a semi nearby going the speed you need to stay under (or slower) get behind them, I've seen my battery range go up from doing this. At highway speeds the drag from high speed wind is a huge range killer with a truck taking that load you'll go further.

Last edited:
I think my firmware is older. I haven’t upgraded since they increased the AP nag intervals. So Your problem shouldn’t be related to firmware age.

A lot of people aren’t happy with V9, so do your research before you regret your next upgrade.

Software Version 9 for Non-AP/Classic Cars
I think the info on V9 is now no longer an issue... I have a 2013 and have the latest update, it's fine, you can have the camera up all the time, and have a second window with something else and still have nav at the same time, so basically 3 windows up...

I think the info on V9 is now no longer an issue... I have a 2013 and have the latest update, it's fine, you can have the camera up all the time, and have a second window with something else and still have nav at the same time, so basically 3 windows up...
People are still complaining about other issues. Do you think it’s better than V8? I have AP2 and I still don’t see a compelling reason to upgrade.

+1 on the need to check your 12v battery and update firmware (and presumably recalibrate your BMS).

There is no reason the 12v should die at the same time as the HV battery. Also, my 2015 70D with 125,000 miles on it still goes into the single digits on range and has never threatened to shut down, so it certainly sounds like you are out of calibration.

+1 on the need to check your 12v battery and update firmware (and presumably recalibrate your BMS).

There is no reason the 12v should die at the same time as the HV battery. Also, my 2015 70D with 125,000 miles on it still goes into the single digits on range and has never threatened to shut down, so it certainly sounds like you are out of calibration.

Thanks, this is good info.

I am up to 128k no problems, i have been in ofer 25 states.
I go up and down 95 monthly.
I put in destination, Potomac mills. It tells me when and where to charge. I have never come close to empty. I have been up and down 95 so many times. I dont understand why the tripper sent you that way and low.
At home i have driven at least 20 miles on Zero miles charge.

I have been pulling my battery to as low as 7% (seen 3% once!) when I can make it to the next SC (so many here in CA) I may want to stop doing this and keep it above at least 15% on road trips, at home we always keep it between 50% and 90% which is probably not ideal going to 90% but I like the idea of having that range ready for any spontaneous trips, my fastest travel times are charging from 10/20% to 80% and charging every 150 to 180 miles

When you went from from 10/20% to 80% what has been an average wait time?

Thank you so much for your positive story about your Tesla experience. Too often on these forums people complain. I think it is cool that your learned from your mistakes and hopefully we all will benefit from your experience.

I too have run my model 3 down to about 15 miles but made it to my home docking station. Won't let that happen again. BTW I am using a Tesla power source and get 44 miles/hour of charging. Not sure why you are only getting 26 miles/hour on 220 volt power.

Reactions: pilotSteve