Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to disable 100% charging warning message?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, it's 3x in a row. I charge > 90% fairly regularly, but immediately drive below 90%, so I see this message quite often. It doesn't matter where the slider is, you can leave it at 100% if you stop the charge/unplug prior to 90% and you won't see the message. It only matters if the car actually charges above 90%, as that will trigger the warning. I leave my slider at about 95ish and stop the charge prior to 90 a lot of time, but if I am going to be driving home, I let it charge to 95% so I'm at about 88% when I get home.

Mine will throw up the warning any time I charge in excess of 90% three times in a row. Doesn't have to be 100%.
That is correct! I should've been more specific. I was going on the premise of most either stopping at 90%, or going straight to 100%.
In the winter I always charge to 90% due to harsher conditions and driving almost 100 miles daily for normal commute. In the summer I leave it at 80% though. It's amazing how much the cabin heater, battery heater, winter tires, etc, decreases your range in the winter.

Yep, it's 3x in a row. I charge > 90% fairly regularly, but immediately drive below 90%, so I see this message quite often. It doesn't matter where the slider is, you can leave it at 100% if you stop the charge/unplug prior to 90% and you won't see the message. It only matters if the car actually charges above 90%, as that will trigger the warning. I leave my slider at about 95ish and stop the charge prior to 90 a lot of time, but if I am going to be driving home, I let it charge to 95% so I'm at about 88% when I get home.
A bit of an aside, but I just charged by battery to 94% today. By the time I was at my destination I was < 90%. Still I was wondering if this is not good for the battery. I guess "less" harmful then leaving it sit > 90%. Like asking if it is OK to overeat if you exercise after. Probably not good.

A bit of an aside, but I just charged by battery to 94% today. By the time I was at my destination I was < 90%. Still I was wondering if this is not good for the battery. I guess "less" harmful then leaving it sit > 90%. Like asking if it is OK to overeat if you exercise after. Probably not good.
It's not so much an issue of it being above 90%, as it is an issue of charging more than 90%; especially when you are dealing with batteries which contain multitudes of cells. The two main factors are: 1) You aren't monitoring each cell separately, so you may be overcharging a few cells which have already hit 100% while the other cells are still below 100%. 2) It puts more stress on the cell when packing that last 10-20% into the cell. Once the energy is stored, it doesn't put any more stress on the cell sitting idle.

And as a point of clarification, the rule of thumb is generally considered to be 80% for Lithium-ion. This tends to create quite the debate. Tesla lists 90% for their distinction between daily and trip, which there are a ton of speculation / assumptions as to why, but as for the basic Lithium-ion cell chemistry goes, the rule of thumb is 80%.

But if you interrupt the charge short of 90 or charge only to 90 every other day you'll avoid the notice but the point is that Tesla should waive that warning for S60 owners that are software limited 75s since its only 86% of the actual battery capacity (but Tesla wants our upgrade money, lets be real, this warning isn't going away).

Exactly, the marketting and messaging has to be consistent. All their staff is trained to tell you not to do it and the company's policy is to stick to that so the leveling up makes sense and there is no other confusion or issues from different models having different rule-sets.

I did it once, but have since set it to 90% since I only need to charge my car around once a week, but I think I'll set it to 100% once I drive more often in the summer.

It's not so much an issue of it being above 90%, as it is an issue of charging more than 90%; especially when you are dealing with batteries which contain multitudes of cells. The two main factors are: 1) You aren't monitoring each cell separately, so you may be overcharging a few cells which have already hit 100% while the other cells are still below 100%. 2) It puts more stress on the cell when packing that last 10-20% into the cell. Once the energy is stored, it doesn't put any more stress on the cell sitting idle.

And as a point of clarification, the rule of thumb is generally considered to be 80% for Lithium-ion. This tends to create quite the debate. Tesla lists 90% for their distinction between daily and trip, which there are a ton of speculation / assumptions as to why, but as for the basic Lithium-ion cell chemistry goes, the rule of thumb is 80%.

Yes, I've read 20%-80% is the ideal range (when discussing LI laptop batteries). When I use my laptop it is typically plugged in. So, much of the time it is at 100%. After 2 years my battery health is at 93%. The biggest decline is in the first year. I think it is the same for car batteries, but I've only had my MS for 2 months.

I've also read, that charging to 100% and leaving it sit is harmful. Charging to 100% just prior to a trip is OK (Tesla). I've also seen charts that show those that use superchargers frequently have a higher rated range then those that don't or do so infrequently. Not sure why that is. My "guess" is those that use superchargers frequently do not have their car plugged in at home, so the charge is not at a constant 90-100%. Those that use supercharger frequently let it drop and charge as needed. I have no idea if that is correct, just my trying to make sense of something that is counter initiative.

I think as a comprise between every day range and longer term battery life I'll just charge to 90% in the future.