Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge the 16v li-ion battery? 1598486-00-D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally, the car will charge the low voltage battery from the main battery. But, if the low voltage battery is depleted, it might not have enough energy to activate the contactors.

To get around this, you can connect a 12V jump box to the jump start terminals to provide enough charge for the car to activate the contactors.

You should disconnect your aftermarket equipment until you determine what went wrong.

Normally, the car will charge the low voltage battery from the main battery. But, if the low voltage battery is depleted, it might not have enough energy to activate the contactors.

To get around this, you can connect a 12V jump box to the jump start terminals to provide enough charge for the car to activate the contactors.

You should disconnect your aftermarket equipment until you determine what went wrong.
Thank you, yes I agree. All disconnected!

I'm going to maybe buy a battery tomorrow. Is there a chance my battery is damaged from a stereo amp?

Did Tesla stock them at some repair centers?

The lithium low voltage battery has internal protection circuits for things like short circuit, overcharging, etc.

Have you tried jump starting as described in the manual? Normally, the only way for a good low voltage battery to run down is if the main battery SoC gets too low and cuts off, or you disconnect the main battery too long. The lithium low voltage battery has very little capacity as compared to the older lead acid battery.

Have you disconnected your aftermarket equipment?

If you can't get it to charge by jump starting the car, then create a service ticket and let Tesla diagnose the problem.

Is there a chance my battery is damaged from a stereo amp?
The battery is not your usual 13V starting battery. It holds less than 7Ah of power and operates at 85% charge, maintained by the big battery. It's a kind of bulletproof filter between armageddon and the world operating at '12v' the way it has its own electronic system bridging it from the big battery.

If your stereo operated any length of time with the car 'off' there is a good chance the battery shut itself down to protect from death by full discharge. They really don't like being drained.

Next time follow the jumpstart process(es) of the manual. There's a good chance the battery can be revived by the car. Otherwise it is toast. Your old battery may yet be reviveable.

There's a car subwoofer called AutoTuba that you DIY build. Design is by Bill Fitzmaurice. It makes vastly more bass from a very little bit of amp power and a cheap 8" speaker by harnessing horn loading, just like an actual brass tuba makes a crazy amount of bass from flapping lips. You can buy one from a licenced pro builder.
Cool, thanks! Can I charge these with a 12v lithium charger in a pinch though? (For future reference)
No. The "dead" battery cuts itself off from the terminals. If the car won't recharge it after you have woken it up then it's toast.

Plenty of warnings out there about the fire hazard of the cowboys recommending melting the solder around the top to get inside and recharge. Not the melting, but the recharging ends up shorting the battery internally. Instant inferno. Consider yourself warned.

I have a 12V Li-Ion battery from EarthX in an aircraft. I left the master switch on one time and it discharged the battery - reported something close to 0 Volts as I remember. It wouldn’t take a charge from a battery charger - said the battery was failed. Disconnected the cables running to the battery and it immediately jumped to something like 11 Volts. At this point, connecting the battery to the same 12V charger brought it back up to a normal voltage.

The EarthX battery lineup has a discharge protection circuit. If the battery is discharged below a certain voltage, the BMS isolates the battery to protect the cells from complete discharge. Disconnecting the load from the battery allows the battery to reset and resume normal operation.

Edit: sounds like Tesla has a different revive process, but pointing out that these batteries have protection circuits in them that you need to know the incantation to safely bypass.

• Helpful
Reactions: gtae07
That seems counter to what is stated in the video - that if the battery drops below a critical voltage where dendrites can form, the BMS essentially permanently disables the battery for safety.
Yes. The correct voltage must be maintained for safety. That is why the battery shuts down before it gets there. Then the load is removed and with the reset the BMS can go back to work safely.

That seems counter to what is stated in the video - that if the battery drops below a critical voltage where dendrites can form, the BMS essentially permanently disables the battery for safety.
Dendrites doesn’t form in this battery.
Most probably a new myth forming.

The 16V battery has 4 NMC cells in series.

The built in BMS disconnects the 16V battery if the State of charge of the 16V battery goes below 10% or 13.8B or 3.46V in any of the four cells.
After disconnection the battery does not discharge further.

Of course the built in BMS is not built in to damage the battery, instead it protects it.

10% is very very safe for NMC.
You probably saw this picture before:
IMG_6666.jpeg

I suggest looking into this video:
Info about 16V

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J