Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla and Grateful Dead are One In the Same

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
Background: music is life. When I lost my father at age 12, music got me into through those rough years and early adulthood. So when I see parallels in music and other passions in my life, it excites me to no end.

My friend got me into Grateful Dead a little over a year ago now. It took a few listens, but once I'm hooked on something, I go hard. I've listened to tons of shows repeatably and basically infused myself into this band - learning what the lyrics mean, the band members styles, what the music meant to a generation that was before me.

My friend recommended me read this book, Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead: The Ten Most Innovative Lessons from a Long, Strange Trip, which I just finished and I saw so many similarities that I had to share my thoughts in case it would help show a little more light on this awesome band.

I have tried to keep this as concise as possible with just bullet points so it gets straight to the point and you won't get bored.

Here it is:

How Tesla and Grateful Dead are One In the Same

• Strategic Improvisation - The authors definition is “blending planning and doing while staying alert, alive to fluid situations”

GD - using this method in business, marketing, and customer service

Tela – using the Agile method, updating the production lines on the fly, shifting direction when necessary (ex. Going from Nivida AI chips to creating their own)

• Innovation

GD – Put their money back into the business in the form of lights, sounds, instruments

Ex. The “Wall of Sound” – Created to address sound problems

Tesla – Same thing – putting their money back in the business in the form of R&D and expansion

Ex. From the car itself – to chemistry in the batteries – to the drivetrain – to the manufacturing lines – to the factory building – to the process of buying a car

• Customer Demand

GD – ’91 recession concert business was off by 25%, Dead became top-grossing act – representing 99.4% of all available seats

Tesla – sold more than any of automaker during the COVID-19 situation

• Values

GD – “And think about moving the whole human race ahead a step or a few steps” – Garcia

Tesla – Mission is “ to accelerate the world’s transition to renewable energy”

• Share Content

GD – Let fans tape their show and spread the music

Tesla – “All Our Patent Are Belong To You” – Tesla released its patents for others to use – “They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.”
All Our Patent Are Belong To You

• Collaboration
GD – created a connection early on with their fans that created a long-lasting customer base

Tesla – ditto

• Insourcing
GD – Brought in a concert venue, recording company, and ticketing operations.

Tesla – Vertical integrated factories, about to include manufacturing their own batteries

• Encourage Employees to lead

GD – Employees could give their opinion on the direction of the band and what processes worked best

Tesla – Elon has said on multiple times, and on the last conference call (Q2 ’20) that if an employee has a better way of doing it on the production line please speak up and that would help with the engineering aspect as well

Ex. Two internals helped fixed the Model 3 ramp-up during its initial phase

• Experience Economy

GD – Being present in the moment on stage to give a truly genuine music experience / Focused on the art of music and not the money

Tesla – Driving the car itself is an experience to the product, something that is new to our way of life / Creating software that allows you to enjoy watchable content and play video games / And of course, Elon has never focused on the money aspect, always striving to make better, cheaper, cars and products that helps drive the mission.

Reactions: d0nkn0tts