Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How soon is "coming soon"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us yearning to access the supercharger network I would hope that Tesla reviews their roll out plans.

I live in Winnipeg and need the Fargo, ND site up and running before I can go on any extended roadtrip with confidence.

I have a plan to drive my S85 to Seattle next August and if Tesla doesn't start connecting the dots I have to either fly or take my gas powered car, not what we had envisioned.

For those of us yearning to access the supercharger network I would hope that Tesla reviews their roll out plans.

I live in Winnipeg and need the Fargo, ND site up and running before I can go on any extended roadtrip with confidence.

I have a plan to drive my S85 to Seattle next August and if Tesla doesn't start connecting the dots I have to either fly or take my gas powered car, not what we had envisioned.

Have you looked at the Sun Country Highway map? I think you can make it from Winnipeg to Canmore using just their 90amp chargers. Not as good as a SC, obviously, but at least possible. But, yeah, I want to make the trip out west on the TransCanandian and I hope Tesla doesn't take too long to put SCs along that route.

glenhurst,

Actually the Sun Country chargers in the area are great with a few 90 amp locations available.

The challenge in the extended drive is that you need 4-5 hours to "refill". That effectively limits a day's run to about 600 miles max.

I had hoped to be doing 200 miles in between 30 minute SC breaks. I fugured that would get me an additional 200 miles in 2/3 the time.

Still a believer but I hope the SC roll out continues to match the map. Have you ventured up to North Dakota yet?

Gravelpeople,
No, I've only been south & east so far, where there *are* Super Chargers. There are five more SCs planned for northern Minnesota, but they got pushed back to 2015. Once those are in, the first trip we have planned is to go loop around the northern side of Superior National forest on the Canadian side. This will give us a chance to "sample" a few of the Sun Country chargers. Getting up to Canada on the eastern side of the state is easy; it's coming back down on the western side where I need the SCs.

I didn't get dual chargers because I didn't think there would be many opportunities to make use of them. But if the only way to get across Canada for the next few years is using the SCH90/72amp chargers, i.e., no Tesla SCs, then I may have the second charger added to my MS.

I have been planning an Oregon to Illinois road trip for next May for two years. We still need the Gilette and Sheridan superchargers to be done by then. It does not look good for any more construction this winter and things don't thaw there till late spring. I'm becoming worried.

I have been planning an Oregon to Illinois road trip for next May for two years. We still need the Gilette and Sheridan superchargers to be done by then. It does not look good for any more construction this winter and things don't thaw there till late spring. I'm becoming worried.

I have a friend here in Minneapolis who is probably going to order a MS in the next few months (I've been giving him rides in mine). He has a son out in Oregon that he wants to visit next summer, so he, too, is watching for those SCs in Gillette and Sheridan. Though he's planning to get the 85D and thus could make it from Superior to Ritzville, hopefully the Coeur d'Alene SC will also be in by then. I know there are a zillion things that factor into how long it takes to get SCs installed, but seriously, aren't there already enough in Florida and southern California, such that completing routes the span the country could be a higher priority?

I know they need to cater to the bigger markets but having a complete network would really help to expand the opportunities for all owners and in turn expand the message that these are viable alternatives.

This is evening I spoke with our IT guy and he is waiting for Model 3 which is great but having happy owners singing the praises of our cars is an invaluable PR opportunity.

I hope the the spring brings more specific information about the SC rollout.

Seriously. Tesla needs to think more seriously about the gaps in the network.

You simply can't take a Tesla west from upstate New York to Ohio in winter, due to an absence of charging along I-90 between Buffalo and Cleveland. Not only no superchargers, no 90-amp or 70-amp chargers either. The NEMA 14-50s are all at campgrounds which are closed in the winter. A few 30-amp chargers are finally starting to show up, almost entirely at auto dealers, who may or may not be willing to support a competitor. (You can't even stay and charge overnight, since none of them are at hotels.) And in winter, the range is reduced to the point where running Buffalo to Cleveland in one go is not safe.

There are a lot of gaps like this, though I think the Erie gap is particularly egregious -- it's not as if this is some empty desert or prairie. And yet Erie isn't even on Tesla's "future" map. This is just sloppy planning. I've told them that. Maybe SCH or someone else will step in and make the trip *possible*. I'm not holding my breath.

When people ask me about road trips in my Tesla, I explain that I've driven it to Michigan but that I *had* to go through Canada because *you cannot get from upstate NY to Ohio*. I'm sure this can't be good advertising, and I'm sure it's deterring purchases. It needs to be fixed.

I don't really have contacts in Erie; if I did I'd be finding someone who wanted their site used.