Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you view your sentry events?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious how others are using their sentry data. Do you only view data if there is an incident? Are others checking events daily? Somewhere in the middle?

Personally, I haven't really viewed much data other than testing it to make sure it works. I would say I am primaryily using it as insurance in the event some major damage was done to my vehicle.

Every 2-3 months I'll check the drive to make sure things are recording properly.

But, other than that hardly ever.

Most of the time I just forget to. Like today I stopped at a stop sign controlled intersection with lots of cars. I thought I correctly remembered the sequence of who got there first, but then some dude started going well after I had already started. There was no accident or anything, but it startled me a bit. One of us obviously jumped the gun.

So I pushed save a little after to make sure the save the footage to review later. Maybe I I screwed up, and didn't realize he was there since I was hurrying up since the car next to me was going and that would block the side I couldn't see (the car next to be blocked it).

In a way this whole dash cam is a curse for those of us that double guess ourselves. Thankfully I tend to forget about things a few hours later. So I'll probably just forget to review it.

Reactions: BEPA400
Every 2-3 months I'll check the drive to make sure things are recording properly.

But, other than that hardly ever.

Most of the time I just forget to. Like today I stopped at a stop sign controlled intersection with lots of cars. I thought I correctly remembered the sequence of who got there first, but then some dude started going well after I had already started. There was no accident or anything, but it startled me a bit. One of us obviously jumped the gun.

So I pushed save a little after to make sure the save the footage to review later. Maybe I I screwed up, and didn't realize he was there since I was hurrying up since the car next to me was going and that would block the side I couldn't see (the car next to be blocked it).

In a way this whole dash cam is a curse for those of us that double guess ourselves. Thankfully I tend to forget about things a few hours later. So I'll probably just forget to review it.
Well don't keep us in suspense man, was it him or you?

On topic: I don't review the sentry footage, and won't unless there's damage.
I've watched one clip of dashcam footage after I passed a car on fire. (yes, obviously it was a petrol/diesel car)

Reactions: focher
When it first started, I review every clips as soon as I got back to the car. I have the TeslaCam / Sentry Reviewer app and an OTG adapter for my Pixel 3 phone. Also it was before they updated to remove old Sentry clips. Because I only got a 16gb USB, I had to periodically remove folders so it would not get full. Now I don't anymore unless something happened to my car (which it hasn't yet).

I’ve used it (Quick 10x speed review of recent clips folder) a few times when wanting to see when the meter maid comes by, to know how much time I actually have left when there is a parking time limit.. lol.. it has probably saved me a couple tickets!

other than that I’m like above post where I checked it a lot for first month to see when it works and when it fails, then after that almost not at all.

Interesting topic though because although I rarely check footage now, in the past I’ve recorded 3 instances where someone looked into my car to potentially break in. One parked next to me suspiciously and just hung out around my car while looking in. I had my seat folded down all 3 times and they eventually went on their way. It’s interesting seeing these footages and the areas where your window could’ve been portentously smashed.

I use a Raspberry Pi for TeslaCam, so it uploads all footage to a storage server when I get home (and clears off the Pi storage). Every once in awhile I'll go do a quick run through of the videos before permanently deleting them. Easy to do while sitting at a computer with a drink in hand.

Back when I had a working Raspberry Pi solution, I would scan the clips on my home NAS every few weeks. With the recent Tesla firmware being much pickier about the storage, I gave up on that, and will only bother reviewing the clips if I notice damage.

Yes, I know there has been some talk of how to fix the Raspberry Pi solution, but I deal with IT stuff all day long at work and don't want to bother with it when I get home, so it's just sitting there waiting for a new software release, when I'll try it again. No biggie really.