Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many versions behind is my firmware and am I missing anything critical or worthwhile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A somewhat subjective question but...

Specs:
AP 2.5
No EAP
MCU1
Root access (shop does, not me), comms with home-base shutdown due to being salvage title, keeping SC access online.

Firmware:
V10.2 (2021.24.28 70cd155f2e12)

Navigation:
NA-2020.48-12628

2NDARY Question:
The owner of the dealership claims his crew could enable EAP for a fee, and much less than Tesla's $6000.

Legalities aside...is that a BS claim? I would think Tesla must have put in some safeguards

A somewhat subjective question but...

Specs:
AP 2.5
No EAP
MCU1
Root access (shop does, not me), comms with home-base shutdown due to being salvage title, keeping SC access online.

Firmware:
V10.2 (2021.24.28 70cd155f2e12)

Navigation:
NA-2020.48-12628

2NDARY Question:
The owner of the dealership claims his crew could enable EAP for a fee, and much less than Tesla's $6000.

Legalities aside...is that a BS claim? I would think Tesla must have put in some safeguards
I’m fairly certain EAP is a software push from Tesla to the vehicle. I can’t imagine any “dealership” has access to the root software and can flash that functionality - but that’s just me speculating.

I’m fairly certain EAP is a software push from Tesla to the vehicle. I can’t imagine any “dealership” has access to the root software and can flash that functionality - but that’s just me speculating.
There’s no software involved in adding EAP or any other functionality, it just needs to be enabled by Tesla. However, it would still be difficult for a third party to do that.

is that a BS claim?

The quick answer is: it's not a BS claim, they can. It's just a software flag that needs to be turned on in your car's gateway.config file, just like they did when they enabled your Supercharger access on your salvage vehicle:

"accessId":29, "codeKey":"Autopilot", "content":{ "enums":[ { "codeKey":"NONE", "description":"", "value":0 }, { "codeKey":"HIGHWAY", "description":"", "value":1 }, { "codeKey":"ENHANCED", "description":"", "value":2 }, { "codeKey":"SELF_DRIVING", "description":"", "value":3 }, { "codeKey":"BASIC", "description":"", "value":4

My question to you @TurboTimmy is: Do you have access to your car via the Tesla App, or have any streaming services (TuneIn, Spotify, Slacker) or real live traffic visualization/navigation in your MCU?

I ask because in order for their, lets say enablement to stick, your vehicle needs to be permanently offline (so no online services whatsoever, including not connecting your car's WiFi to your phone's hotspot, let alone software updates). Which takes me to your second question:

I would think Tesla must have put in some safeguards

There are, many in fact, but they all need your Tesla to be online and connected to the mothership, even just for a quick second. In fact, if you plug-in to a newer Supercharger that has a WiFi connection, you are screwed.

You’re basically current for MCU1

OP's Tesla has a more than a year old firmware when compared to the MCU2 and MCUz branch, but its not current.
MCU1 vehicles (as of this post) are running 2022.8.10.6 as their latest update, which is even software Version 11 (the one with the color icons and new fonts).

Reactions: ucmndd
The quick answer is: it's not a BS claim, they can. It's just a software flag that needs to be turned on in your car's gateway.config file, just like they did when they enabled your Supercharger access on your salvage vehicle:

"accessId":29, "codeKey":"Autopilot", "content":{ "enums":[ { "codeKey":"NONE", "description":"", "value":0 }, { "codeKey":"HIGHWAY", "description":"", "value":1 }, { "codeKey":"ENHANCED", "description":"", "value":2 }, { "codeKey":"SELF_DRIVING", "description":"", "value":3 }, { "codeKey":"BASIC", "description":"", "value":4

My question to you @TurboTimmy is: Do you have access to your car via the Tesla App, or have any streaming services (TuneIn, Spotify, Slacker) or real live traffic visualization/navigation in your MCU?

I ask because in order for their, lets say enablement to stick, your vehicle needs to be permanently offline (so no online services whatsoever, including not connecting your car's WiFi to your phone's hotspot, let alone software updates). Which takes me to your second question:

There are, many in fact, but they all need your Tesla to be online and connected to the mothership, even just for a quick second. In fact, if you plug-in to a newer Supercharger that has a WiFi connection, you are screwed.

OP's Tesla has a more than a year old firmware when compared to the MCU2 and MCUz branch, but its not current.
MCU1 vehicles (as of this post) are running 2022.8.10.6 as their latest update, which is even software Version 11 (the one with the color icons and new fonts).
Thanks!

Let's say I do want the EAP

1. I do have access through the Tesla app, would gladly give that up as I almost never use it.

2. No streaming services are currently setup

3 LTE does work, can I disable it? Do i need too even?

4. I should have been clear about updates. When I check for updates, it says there are none and I'm current. I suspected due to it not being able to check in with home base.
5. I wouldn't mind giving up LTE and keeping WiFi off and switching to using the Android mirroring interface for Nav if needed too

New questions:
I am very comfortable with Linux cmd line. If my MCU1 is rooted.

What would I need to get into it from these categories?

Software:
Windows and Putty?
Windows and special Tesla software?
A Linux client?

Credentials:
Certificates?
Passwords?

Hardware:
USB cable?
Specialized cable?

The only "special" cable I do have is the OBD2 one for ScanMyTesla 😆