Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Many Tesla Roadsters Were Sold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By "he" do you mean the tour guide? That is the way your sentence is constructed. That would surprise me. The guides I had during my factory tour didn't look like they could afford a Roadster, especially one of the final series cars.

Or by "he" do you mean Elon?

I assume you do not mean Tony Stark.

I mean the actual tour guide. He had been with the company for over 5 years.

Actually I own one of the last Roadsters sold in Europe (not THE last one though). My VIN is 968. Before I got it in July 2013 Tesla had used it as a demo car for a few months.

Looks like the last one should have been European VIN 1012
Based on seeing this:
90390ef8-782f-4389-a686-15f8d92ce7ad2.jpg

( But, it appears they jumped right to VIN #2500 for the absolute last Roadster to give a nod to the total # made worldwide. )

So we have:
1464 North American Roadsters
1012 European/other Roadsters
27 Founders'
33 VPs
-------
2536 Total

They might have skipped a VIN here or there which could explain why the total is more than 2500.
Actually I think when they went from 2008 to 2010 models (1.5 to 2.0) I think the NA sequence skipped 485 through 499.

Last edited:
And don't forget the around 50 Roadsters in Hong Kong (soon to be around 51 :biggrin:), and the two in Singapore (soon to be just one).

Looks like the last one was probably European VIN 1012
Based on seeing this:
90390ef8-782f-4389-a686-15f8d92ce7ad2.jpg

So we have:
1464 North American Roadsters
1012 European/other Roadsters
27 Founders'
33 VPs
-------
2536 Total

They might have skipped a VIN here or there which could explain why the total is more than 2500.
Actually I think when they went from 2008 to 2010 models (1.5 to 2.0) I think the NA sequence skipped 485 through 499.

The more interesting question is how many Roadsters are still operational or being driven. Tesla should have a good idea and I would like to know the number. It can only drop. Somehow it make me think of the Highlander. In the end there will be only one.

My guess would be less than 10 crash tested...
But most of those may have been EPs that didn't count in this total.
FWIW, I did mean crushes not crashes. Like the test where the Model S broke the machine. That said, crashes definitely covers the broader spectrum of "kill it" testing done by and for safety agencies.

No, not really... A wild guess would be 10-15% are no longer in operation due to unrepairable accident or owners that never drive them.
( Some Roadsters ended up in massive car collections where some cars just sit in a garage to be admired. )