Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good is the air conditioning really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. I also saw a few aftermarket roof shades, curious if those are any good.

This is the one I use, it’s two separate shades, one layer is silver and faces the glass, while the 2nd shade is black and goes under the silver one facing the cabin, this works at stopping 100% of the heat from above. It work so well that I purchased the same sunshade for the Model 3. No more heat on my head and shoulders.

Tesla Model Y Glass Roof Sunshade

Mixsuper Windshield Sunshade &Sunroof Shade for Tesla Model Y Double Layer Thickness Fabric with Free UV and Heat Insulation Film https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRC4Q6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KuFsFbQ9468HA

Mixsuper Newly Update Model 3 Sun... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCH4Y8W?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
This is what was done:

F3EA241E-AAC9-414F-A648-3BD2E12F78D5.jpeg

Reactions: jboy210
So we are in our new Model Y and I can’t say the AC is *that* good. It’s only 80 out but it’s sunny and I’m feeling pretty warm. This may be because my wife likes it hotter than me, but we do have the AC set to 63 on her side and lo on my side, fan set to 8. This should be pretty chilly, but it doesn’t feel like it. Any thoughts?

Mine works great. I also think having the glass roof, makes the interior very hot. When I leave work, I just turn on the climate in the app, and it's nice by the time I get to the car.

Some of these issues sound like the in dash doors which control airflow mix could be messed up. Not sure how all that works with the Model Y and it’s heat pump...and it’s not like there is a heater core with hot coolant flowing through it all the time on these cars.

We just got back from AZ and SoCal desert, max temp 118F and AC kept cabin at 70F easily, even Supercharging at 110F. Power consumption, however, was 100Wh/mi higher than in comparable situations with our M3.
Yeah this summer has been crazy hot, will be glad to see my wh/mi drop with the temps. Driving up to Park City in a couple of weeks so will get a better idea of what my "normal" usage should be in reasonable weather... :)

Good to know. Not hearing from any folks in the hot regions, the issue of underperforming heat pumps seems to not be widespread. Also, heat pumps thrive on the temperature differential between outside and inside.

I suppose that if the sun is beating down hard on the car but ambient outside temp is 75, it may be hard to get as much cooling compared to a traditional AC. Disclaimer: I've never experienced a heat pump.

We have a problem with our ac in our new model Y. It is 82 degrees outside and we set the temp to 73 or 74 it mixes hot air from the vents with barely any cool air. However, turn it down just one degree to 72 and you get nice cold air. It's almost like a defect where the hot air is blowing out the front when it shouldn't be. If I turn it to the same 73 or 74 and turn on the rear vents for the back seat passengers, ONLY cold air comes out even at the 73 and 74. I have had it in the shop twice for this and twice they tell me the ac checks out fine in our car. I KNOW this isn't how it's supposed to perform, hot air at 73? Anyone else having this problem and how did you resolve it? Oh, and we live in sunny south Florida. Someone mentioned a similar problem and had the high pressure pressure sensor replaced and it solved a similar problem. What is this part and what does it control? And, if it's bad like there's was why isn't my service center recognizing it as a possible cause of our ac problems?

Last edited:
Submit a service ticket using your app, make sure to give them the dates and times your A/C failed as mine did, the Virtual Tech will want to pull your files.

They replaced the High Pressure Temp Sensor and the Super Manifold, also while it was there I requested the acoustic air compressor blanket. There is now a service bulletin on this issue. My service center had me up and running in less then 24 hours. We have 3 SC here in town and parts came from the other locations

Took my MY into 105 degree weather 2 or 3 days ago and the A/C held up 65 degrees for 7 hours. 3 hours to get to Yermo Ca from San Diego and 4 hours return and I mean Ice Cold.

In the mean time this is what you do to temporary fix this issue,

1. Reboot the car, 2 button steering wheel method

2. Turn the Auto button to off in the A/C screen so you run it manually.

3. Turn on Recirculate air so that you are not blowing hot air from outside.

4. Set the Air temp to 62 - 63 degrees and no lower and definitely not in the Lo setting.

We have found this to work well, also we have found that when setting the A/C to Lo, the cold air will shut down around 77 - 80 degrees and won’t blow cold air at all. You would have to do the reset and follow those steps above.

Fred
Fred, you mentioned replacing the high pressure pressure switch in your Model Y. We are in S Florida and it was 82 degrees outside on a sunny day. We turned on the ac and set it to 74 which should blow cold air. However, it's mixing barely cool air with warm air (we feel the heat blowing in the upward direction from the vents). At the same time, if we check and turn on the rear ac vents, it's ONLY blowing cold air. The front ac vents blow upward and forward (a mix...which is same as our Model 3). If we turn it down to 73 it does the same. However, turn it down just one more degree and at 72 it blows really cold air ONLY. The fact that it's blowing heat mixed in at 73 or 74 seems like something is wrong. I have taken it in to the same service center twice and they give it back after and say the ac system checks out as fine and all is working properly. I am going crazy trying to figure this out. Could this switch you had replaced be the cause of our ac problems? And, if I go in and tell them to replace a part when they say all is working fine that's not likely to happen.

Maybe it's time to take it to a different service center?

Sorry to revive this thread but how cold are all of your ACs? It's been about 100 degrees where I am lately and, unless I have the AC set to the max setting it doesn't really get very cool in the car. The air coming out is cold but I wouldn't say it's freezing. With the air on max and blowing directly on my face, it gets somewhat comfortable but never gets "cold" in the car and the AC will never cycle off if I pick a temperature like 68 because it never reaches that temperature. Not sure if this is something I should have looked at or if it is just the nature of the car. Our Model 3 (without heat pump) seems to have a much more effective AC.

Sorry to revive this thread but how cold are all of your ACs? It's been about 100 degrees where I am lately and, unless I have the AC set to the max setting it doesn't really get very cool in the car. The air coming out is cold but I wouldn't say it's freezing. With the air on max and blowing directly on my face, it gets somewhat comfortable but never gets "cold" in the car and the AC will never cycle off if I pick a temperature like 68 because it never reaches that temperature. Not sure if this is something I should have looked at or if it is just the nature of the car. Our Model 3 (without heat pump) seems to have a much more effective AC.

Get the sunshade, it is around $50 in Amazon and it helps to cool the cabin quickly.

Get the sunshade, it is around $50 in Amazon and it helps to cool the cabin quickly.
I second the recommendation for installing a sun shade for the glass roof. These cost ~$50 and depending on the manufacturer some of the sun shades for the Model Y glass roof come with a reflective cover that can be used in addition to the mesh fabric sun shade for additional shielding from the sun. Be advised that the sun shade will sag a bit, especially in the center. I have not found this to be an issue. Some of the sun shades come with several magnets that can be used to minimize the sag (metal keeper disks attach to the glass to hold the magnets.)

Set the Climate Control to Auto, set your preferred temperature (I usually have my Model Y set to 70F.)

Turn on Recirculate Cabin Air if you are driving during the warmest part of the day. (For extra credit - the Voice Command is "Recirculate" for ON and "Fresh Air" for OFF.

For extra, extra credit- on the Climate Control screen tap the passenger side dashboard vent and the Model Y will turn on the air flow from the AC to the passenger side when there is no one seated in the front passenger seat. The passenger side vent will remain on until you park or turn the Climate Control OFF and back ON.

For extra, extra, extra credit - on the Climate Control screen tap the rear seat icon (almost invisible) in the lower right corner of the screen. This will turn on the rear vents located behind the center console even if no is seated in the second row. The rear vents will remain on until you park or turn the Climate Control OFF and back ON.

Many Model Y owners are adding tint film to the windows of their Model Y, some are also adding tint to the glass roof. Best bet, front windshield, front side windows, rear side windows, rear hatch glass. The glass roof of the Model Y comes with a 5% tint that rejects UV and IR rays. You can add additional tint to the glass roof. This is more expensive than tinting the windshield, other glass (mostly due to the labor involved.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I second the recommendation for installing a sun shade for the glass roof. These cost ~$50 and depending on the manufacturer some of the sun shades for the Model Y glass roof come with a reflective cover that can be used in addition to the mesh fabric sun shade for additional shielding from the sun. Be advised that the sun shade will sag a bit, especially in the center. I have not found this to be an issue. Some of the sun shades come with several magnets that can be used to minimize the sag (metal keeper disks attach to the glass to hold the magnets.)

Set the Climate Control to Auto, set your preferred temperature (I usually have my Model Y set to 70F.)

Turn on Recirculate Cabin Air if you are driving during the warmest part of the day. (For extra credit - the Voice Command is "Recirculate" for ON and "Fresh Air" for OFF.

For extra, extra credit- on the Climate Control screen tap the passenger side dashboard vent and the Model Y will turn on the air flow from the AC to the passenger side when there is no one seated in the front passenger seat. The passenger side vent will remain on until you park or turn the Climate Control OFF and back ON.

For extra, extra, extra credit - on the Climate Control screen tap the rear seat icon (almost invisible) in the lower right corner of the screen. This will turn on the rear vents located behind the center console even if no is seated in the second row. The rear vents will remain on until you park or turn the Climate Control OFF and back ON.

Many Model Y owners are adding tint film to the windows of their Model Y, some are also adding tint to the glass roof. Best bet, front windshield, front side windows, rear side windows, rear hatch glass. The glass roof of the Model Y comes with a 5% tint that rejects UV and IR rays. You can add additional tint to the glass roof. This is more expensive than tinting the windshield, other glass (mostly due to the labor involved.)
Thanks. I didn't know I could turn the passenger side vent on without having anyone sitting there. I'll be sure to try this. When I turn on the rear vents, I notice the pressure from the fans drops significantly. I have the front windows tinted and I guess I'll check out a sunshade. I just wish mine got, as MY-Y claims, "uncomfortably cold" -- it never does.

Thanks. I didn't know I could turn the passenger side vent on without having anyone sitting there. I'll be sure to try this. When I turn on the rear vents, I notice the pressure from the fans drops significantly. I have the front windows tinted and I guess I'll check out a sunshade. I just wish mine got, as MY-Y claims, "uncomfortably cold" -- it never does.
I alway tint my vehicles first thing, windshield included, right after purchase. I have the sunshade up for May-August too. Takes a huge load off the a/c and is much more comfortable - my wife has me turn her side away from her it gets so cold.

Reactions: zhu-
What I realized after getting ceramic tinting is even the factory tinted parts of the two glass roof pieces let in a lot of heat. Before ceramic tinting I always had my AC on some arbitrary temp because it would never reach anyway but afterwards I'd set to about 70-72 or it gets too cold. The AC works well enough but seems like there's enough glass to overpower it on a hot day. You could look into ceramic tinting all around including windshield which even something like 70% will cut out significant heat while being almost invisible.

I guess I'm crazy. Using the app I got the following results. 111 degrees inside, turned on AC to "LO" for 5 minutes, brought it down to 68 degrees. So, obviously, it DOES work.

I'll try JCanoe's suggestion of turning on both vents in the front on (as the app does) and see if that yields better results. I swear I'm sweating in the car all the time with the fan pumping away.

Gotta love this weather though, 5 minutes after turning it off, the interior is already back up to 96 degrees (and that's with a large windshield shade in place)

I didn't know there's a way to turn it off? It lets you set a different temp if sync mode isn't on but thought it was always on.
Mine defaults to only having the driver's side vent on if I'm driving alone.

THANK YOU Jcanoe! Turning the passenger vent on made all the difference in the world. My drive home was cool and comfortable. It's a big annoying that this isn't the default setting though.

I guess I'm crazy. Using the app I got the following results. 111 degrees inside, turned on AC to "LO" for 5 minutes, brought it down to 68 degrees. So, obviously, it DOES work.

I'll try JCanoe's suggestion of turning on both vents in the front on (as the app does) and see if that yields better results. I swear I'm sweating in the car all the time with the fan pumping away.

Gotta love this weather though, 5 minutes after turning it off, the interior is already back up to 96 degrees (and that's with a large windshield shade in place)
My Model Y's AC operates at a higher fan speed if I turn on the front passenger vent.

Try turning on Recirculate Cabin Air as the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the cabin when this is set to ON.

Last edited: