Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good could this model 3 be fixed after its accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will take a hit ..normally during trade in they will ask the question if been in accident and you need to disclose ..sorry that happened and glad u are safe ...

I’m surprised the insurance is not looking at totaling as Not sure what estimate came in at ..also getting Tesla parts is hard ..if they have to pay storage fees etc that may pass the threshold for totaling ..that is best case scenario for you

The insurance is yet to estimate the damage value. But yeah I think I probably should push for totaling it after talking with the body shop.

Basically It accelerated more than I thought it would. I believe I hit the brake but the car did not respond immediately. I lost control of the car. I called Tesla to review the logs and investigate what exactly happened.

I haven’t taken the time to read all the responses but regarding the brakes - these cars use the brakes so infrequently that if you suddenly need to slam on the brakes they’ll be very cold and not very ‘grabby’. If you plan on doing some crazy driving in the future prime those brakes first!

The insurance is yet to estimate the damage value. But yeah I think I probably should push for totaling it after talking with the body shop.

This is a balancing game as the body shop will want to repair as that’s revenue to them just work both sides ..I had done this on my previous S ...once they say something along the lines of “frame damage” u can push for total ..if ur airbags went off for sure damages would be high as airbags alone are expensive

Reactions: mhmhsh
This is a balancing game as the body shop will want to repair as that’s revenue to them just work both sides ..I had done this on my previous S ...once they say something along the lines of “frame damage” u can push for total ..if ur airbags went off for sure damages would be high as airbags alone are expensive

Never understood the logic with insurance. If someone wants his damaged car considered totaled, and the insurance refuses, cannot he just total it himself and get paid? Asking hypothetically.

Never understood the logic with insurance. If someone wants his damaged car considered totaled, and the insurance refuses, cannot he just total it himself and get paid? Asking hypothetically.

Insurance companies have formulas normally if damage is like 15-20% if value of car it gets totaled...make sure and be vocal about storage charges and long lead times for Tesla parts as that adds in to estimates

Last edited:
Reactions: mhmhsh
Total Loss Formulas by State
State Threshold State Threshold
Alabama 75% Montana TLF
Alaska TLF Nebraska 75%
Arizona TLF Nevada 65%
Arkansas 70% New Hampshire 75%
California TLF New Jersey TLF
Colorado 100% New Mexico TLF
Connecticut TLF New York 75%
Delaware TLF North Carolina 75%
Florida 80% North Dakota 75%
Georgia TLF Ohio TLF
Hawaii TLF Oklahoma 60%
Idaho TLF Oregon 80%
Illinois TLF Pennsylvania TLF
Indiana 70% Rhode Island TLF
Iowa 50% South Carolina 75%
Kansas 75% South Dakota TLF
Kentucky 75% Tennessee 75%
Louisiana 75% Texas 100%
Maine TLF Utah TLF
Maryland 75% Vermont TLF
Massachusetts TLF Virginia 75%
Michigan 75% Washington TLF
Minnesota 70% West Virginia 75%
Mississippi 70% Wisconsin 70%
Missouri 80% Wyoming 75%

Total Loss Formula
In states with no TLT requirements like Arizona, insurers may use an equation to determine a car's reparability. This is the basic equation: cost of repair + salvage value > actual cash value. If the cost to repair the car plus its salvage value is greater than the car's initial market value, it's considered a total loss.

What happens to the car? If you accept the claim settlement offer, the insurance company takes ownership of your car. They have, in effect, purchased the car from you with their settlement. The car is usually sold to a salvage yard, where it is auctioned, scrapped, or repaired.

Total Loss Formulas by State
State Threshold State Threshold
Alabama 75% Montana TLF
Alaska TLF Nebraska 75%
Arizona TLF Nevada 65%
Arkansas 70% New Hampshire 75%
California TLF New Jersey TLF
Colorado 100% New Mexico TLF
Connecticut TLF New York 75%
Delaware TLF North Carolina 75%
Florida 80% North Dakota 75%
Georgia TLF Ohio TLF
Hawaii TLF Oklahoma 60%
Idaho TLF Oregon 80%
Illinois TLF Pennsylvania TLF
Indiana 70% Rhode Island TLF
Iowa 50% South Carolina 75%
Kansas 75% South Dakota TLF
Kentucky 75% Tennessee 75%
Louisiana 75% Texas 100%
Maine TLF Utah TLF
Maryland 75% Vermont TLF
Massachusetts TLF Virginia 75%
Michigan 75% Washington TLF
Minnesota 70% West Virginia 75%
Mississippi 70% Wisconsin 70%
Missouri 80% Wyoming 75%

Total Loss Formula
In states with no TLT requirements like Arizona, insurers may use an equation to determine a car's reparability. This is the basic equation: cost of repair + salvage value > actual cash value. If the cost to repair the car plus its salvage value is greater than the car's initial market value, it's considered a total loss.

What happens to the car? If you accept the claim settlement offer, the insurance company takes ownership of your car. They have, in effect, purchased the car from you with their settlement. The car is usually sold to a salvage yard, where it is auctioned, scrapped, or repaired.

I am in Colorado. How can you know/estimate the salvage value of the car?

Thanks!

Will my insurance premiums increase about the same whether I claimed the car is totaled and asked for its cash value VS if had the insurance repairs it in the body shop?

Basically, is having your new car with considerable damage claimed as total loss always better than get it fixed? If not what are the cons of totaling?

Last edited:
Will my insurance premiums increase about the same whether I claimed the car is totaled and asked for its cash value VS if had the insurance repairs it in the body shop?

Basically, is having your new car with considerable damage claimed as total loss always better than get it fixed? If not what are the cons of totaling?

Sorry brother! Either way, you’re gonna take an insurance hit, If it was your fault(?). Pending other insurance claims you’ve made in the past, they may cancel you. It is the reality.