Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does Tesla continue to sell Model S for 40-50K more than 3.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S 75D was a 2018 with 2000 miles on it. Driving the loaner was nothing like driving my 2018 MS P100D; completely different feel, slow which isn’t surprising since the 75D goes 0 to 60 in 5.2 secs vs 2.28 for the SP100D - same suspension or not. I generally dislike driving full size sedans but I love driving the SP100D because it does not feel like a boat at all as big and heavy (boatlike) as it is. It is freakishly fast, fastest 0 to 60 production car around under 800k+:).

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to be comparing the S 75D (or the P3D+) to the SP100D which basically costs double: Totally different cars/different markets like comparing a Mercedes E class to a Mercedes S - as Tesla becomes a more mass market brand.
A little typo, the 75D is 4.2 seconds, not 5.2. (Although realistically, closer to 4.0)

The Model S has grand total of two (2) flush buttons.

Makes sense. Easier to reach after you cr*p yourself from the acceleration (or an AP disengagement) ;)

More seriously; these price differentials will continue until someone comes up with a decent "Tesla killer".

So far all we have are press releases and car show concepts because no legacy automaker wants to gut their model range.

My 2 cents (bearing in mind I never drove a 3)...

Model S is a bigger car with considerably more space and in a different segment as mentioned. Hatch beats trunk for practicality. BUT to continue to sell in volume at a premium price it really needs a refresh to make the interior easier to live with and get it ready for V3 Supercharging.

Come on Tesla do it in 2019! Make the beast even better.

Very good list of things that differ with a few additions and I know there are more. This list is not small.

The S still has things the 3 doesn't:
  • Larger
  • Hatchback
  • Biodefense HEPA air filtration
  • Air suspension
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Rear Facing Seats
  • More storage(see below)
  • Self-presenting door handles
  • AM Radio (I'm not sure it still has it.)
  • XM Radio
  • Faster AC charging (I think it is still available.)
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Cooled seats
  • Dynamic turning headlights
  • Passive entry fob
  • ADDING TO ETC below
  • Sunroof option
  • More storage adding-Larger Frunk(TM3 is not a frunk) Not sure what I would put there?
  • Roof Rack capable with integrated mounting hardware(Sunroof and XM required)
  • Leather(That for many who paid for it, want it) I personally love the smell when I get in everyday.
  • Integrated U/I cluster.
  • 80A charging or 59-60 miles per hour HPWC option with Dual charger option. Traveling and at Home.
  • Headrests adjust.
  • Unlimited Supercharging for life of the car on many Model S in the wild.
  • 1.45% financing on many in the wild.
  • Leasing
  • 2 year lease terms on many.
  • Compelling list of reasons to have bought or buy a Model S.
It is a different car, and some people prefer it even if it costs more than another car.
Adding
Its a completely different car for a different segment of buyer and dare I say if we all had not bought Model S, Tesla and Model 3 would not exist. Thats what Model S was also about. Moving the Tesla brand forward to today in reality. In fact its a mission that someone had to carry out. Thats who/whey someone buys/bought model S.