Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does one reset the Valet PIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently took possession of #314 and the car was willed to the seller who doesn't know what the PIN was set at.

How does one reset the PIN?

Is there a default (I tried 1-2-3-4)?

Can you do it in the Service Menu (I know how to go into that setting but didn't see anything)?

OR

Can only Tesla service center do it? Or no one do it?

Thanks All In Advance!

You can call the service center and ask if the have a record of the PIN. They might have it on file if it was not changed since the last service. But first you have to get registered with Tesla as the current owner. Otherwise they can reset it at a cost. Or @markwj can help you hack it.

• Funny
Reactions: markwj
Recently took possession of #314 and the car was willed to the seller who doesn't know what the PIN was set at.

How does one reset the PIN?

Is there a default (I tried 1-2-3-4)?

Can you do it in the Service Menu (I know how to go into that setting but didn't see anything)?

OR

Can only Tesla service center do it? Or no one do it?

Thanks All In Advance!
Did you ask the previous owner? The owner can set it and if they share their code, it then you can change to a code you set.

Service centre can reportedly do it, when provided with a log file dump and accompanying vehicle details (and presumably ownership proof).

It can be brute-force hacked from OVMS (or other CAN tool); although success depends on whether it is a 4 digit or 8 digit PIN.

I haven't tested this but it may work. Assuming you have set up the phone App with your password, go to Controls...Valet Mode and underneath in small font it says "Clear PIN". See attached image.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-16_9-2-29.png
    upload_2020-3-16_9-2-29.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,068
  • Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
The car has no way to communicate with Tesla anymore so don't think that can work sadly.

I also do not have OVMS as it was out of stock for US version.

I just ordered one at $150.00 OVMS v3 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module (US Edition) - optional plug-in / 3G (EV-DO/HSPA+) dual band modem / GPS/GNSS / nano SIM slot at FastTech - Free Shipping

What does that mean the car has no way of communicating with Tesla?

Just curious as seems there is a fix to this; You purchased a car that is stuck in valet mode? what does the car reduce the speed to or locked at when in valet mode?

1234 is the default. That's what the prior owner (2nd) thought it was since he didn't customize it.

It wasn't, but the local TSC pulled my PIN for free (they wouldn't reset it) . . . "Goodwill" once I had the car in their system under my name. YMMV.

Once you have it, you can customize it in one of the service menus

Last edited: