Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you close the frunk? Have you creased it?

How do you close your frunk and have you creased it that way?

• Another method (please explain). Damage.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I push the hood down and rest it on the latch. Put my palms towards the windshield, fingers towards the front of the car, hands a few inches outside the logo. I've been on this website reading about the frunk from well before I received my car, watched all the videos, still got the dent.

I had my service center take a look. I got some paperwork back after my car was in for service and it just said to recommend seeing a body shop. Now that I'm reading here it sounds like I have a frunk that is very difficult to close (I thought it was normal). Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get it to close. I try and close it and if I don't feel comfortable with the pressure, I let go and try it again.

When the car was delivered some of soft rubber molding was clearly not looking right and not sitting flush. It was pushed into place and it looks normal now but I wonder if that rubber piece has something to due with the pressure needed to close the frunk. I feel stupid asking my service center to look at it again but maybe I'll have then take a look when I'm there for the next tire rotation.

I used the two-handed palm base method on the edge of the frunk on either side of the latch, as instructed by my DS back in November and the old user manual. A ripple (not a strong enough edge to be a crease) in the hood was pointed out to me last week. Pretty frustrating to carefully follow instructions and still damage a multi-thousand dollar part.

Turns out last month they changed the manual to specifically instruct you not to do that anymore, and have a new recommended technique that involves pushing on the flat part further up the hood (would fall into "Another method" in this poll, I think). Thanks for telling us. :cursing:

They should fix this design. I have a small crease and I am sure I didn't do it. After visiting service centers for a few issues, I ended up getting the crease. It shouldn't be this difficult or fragile. Changing instructions back and forth is not going to work. I don't even open my frunk anymore, which is kind of pathetic.

I do the recommended 2 hand approach: "Two hands between latch and side edges. Not damaged." and push down firmly but not fast. I rarely get it on the first try. I almost never use the frunk though. So much room in the back and I don't want things rattling up front. Plus I like the power lift gate. Wish they had that on the front.

Another fifty openings of the frunk at the car show yesterday, and still no crease. There must be a difference between cars in the amount of force required to close the frunk. I use the original method "fingers pointing down, hands about 20 cm apart. I press slowly until the second latch clicks.

Another fifty openings of the frunk at the car show yesterday, and still no crease. There must be a difference between cars in the amount of force required to close the frunk. I use the original method "fingers pointing down, hands about 20 cm apart. I press slowly until the second latch clicks.
It seems like that has to be part of it. I had been using that same method, very carefully, and damaged the hood. But I will say that it feels like I have to push down extremely hard. Much harder than you'd expect, and I often have to keep pushing harder and harder until it closes. It takes a lot of force.

Aside from party tricks ("look, no engine!") and one over zealous trip to Ikea, it's never been used. The fragility makes it too much of a pain to use, and as other have said, if your hands are full having emptied it, it's another pain to close it properly, whatever that means.

This is how I do it and use the frunk a lot and never have had a problem, but it closes without much down force and I do it slowly. Push down slowly until it clicks once and then push to close.

It seems like that has to be part of it. I had been using that same method, very carefully, and damaged the hood. But I will say that it feels like I have to push down extremely hard. Much harder than you'd expect, and I often have to keep pushing harder and harder until it closes. It takes a lot of force.

It never takes much force for me. I'd talk to the Service Centre or Ownership about this.

How many of you with creases actually push slowly and very gently to close, and how many of you close it using the approved method but use a quicker, stronger force to just "push" it down?

I can't speak for everyone, but I start with basically no pressure and slowly keep pushing harder until it latches. A forceful jerky motion seems like a recipe for damage, but given that my hood is rippled, I'm not sure I have any room to talk.

It never takes much force for me. I'd talk to the Service Centre or Ownership about this.

I've been in touch with my SC over this, so I'll have them take a look. I want to try to stop by for a new "Closing the frunk" tutorial using the new method.

Sounds like the key may be "just push down gently till it latches". Honestly I used the two hand method like a week, but it's too much work. Very easy to close one handed just taking care to gently push it down. Of course if it ever does crease I will be upset, but so far 21 months of use (well using it a few times each month so more than 100 but less than 200 uses I suppose) and no crease or dent.

When I purchased my CPO S the sales rep pointed out the slight ripple on the frunk at delivery. They took it to their body shop to repair but the body shop advised them that the only way to repair this would be to replace the hood. They graciously replaced the hood at no charge. I regret allowing them to do this. The new hood never lined up very well. The paint was a poor match and chipped away within a few weeks as if a shower of rocks were dumped on the hood. Back to the shop again. Stripped and painted a second time. I should have left the original hood in place with the wrinkle.

Is it possible to repair this with the use of technology PDR (without painting) if the metal of frontal edge is double? Did anyone have any experience?
Interested in this as well.
Rock hit the front on my car and left a nice dent, that’s when I noticed the crease.
My car is 2016 and I’m very careful closing the hood

Attachments

• 769A2496-DD76-4A02-A519-2DFAD7020838.jpeg
    769A2496-DD76-4A02-A519-2DFAD7020838.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 95