Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come noone is talking about JDPower report from a few days ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is absolutely true.

Maybe other companies on the list don’t have buyers going through the vehicles with a fine tooth comb because there is a service department who does it on behalf of the buyer before the vehicle reaches the showroom floor. Then they give it a second once-over as it is being prepared for sale/delivery.

Tesla does none of this and that is why the defect and reject rate is so high.
Many car dealers (even luxury cars) have a lot attendant who will wash the car and wipe down the interior...nothing more! The dealer check list is fluff.

What is the actual defect and reject rate? Do you know some hard facts beyond what is posted here? Tesla employee or have access to company data from one you trust? Do you honestly think this is an accurate, representative sampling?

Cumawwhn people! WTH? So, so many agendas here... Most of the negative ones are so transparent. Either butthurt because they haven’t been treated like special little snowflakes or have some other axe to grind. Positives appear to be from legitimate owners who appreciate what they have.
Remember, when YOU are the product, such as with JD Power the true results are never going to be as presented. It’s a business, working for a client, and you are the data they are manipulating to get more dough... Statistics are used to tell people, in this case the people paying the bills to a company for a service, whatever they want to hear and to keep them paying for more.

I’m glad Tesla is beyond that BS.

ß

Tesla should work to improve quality of course. But the sample size for Tesla makes the results slightly more questionable, and in any event, if you look at the list, all of the brands have a significant number of defects, even the top rated ones. I happen to have an Audi, and a Mercedes, and have had several BMWs, Volvos and Lexus. All had some problems on delivery, some more than other. The one that had the least for me I think was my 2017 MS. Just comparing Audi to Tesla, (and I really like Audi) the survey shows Tesla has about 10% more defects. Not really significant to me. It is a very individual experience, which doesn't make it any less painful to the person who gets a car with a lot of problems and hassles.

It is absolutely true.
There a literally hundreds (thousands?) of threads here objectively discussing problems with the cars and how to remedy them. There are really only two or three people here that ignore reality and spew propaganda. Granted, they are very vocal, but I usually skip right past their comments.

If you want blind devotion, personal insults, and rude behavior, head over to Tesla' own forum.

This guy did an excellent job breaking down why Tesla may have had as many hits as they did from JD Power. It starts at 6:25.

That an excellent discussion of how JD Power's IQS works. Basically, if someone can't connect their flip phone to the Tesla, it ranks the "defect" the same as a transmission that falls out on the way home. I think JD Power would be doing more of a service to break down the "defects" by category. Maybe they do that for paying customers, I don't know.

It is absolutely true.

Maybe other companies on the list don’t have buyers going through the vehicles with a fine tooth comb because there is a service department who does it on behalf of the buyer before the vehicle reaches the showroom floor. Then they give it a second once-over as it is being prepared for sale/delivery.

It is absolutely untrue.

What is true, you apparently have never purchased a new car before. And if you did, you sure as hell didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb. Because if you did, your glowing opinion of dealership's service department would change instantly. That is, if you were being honest about it.

BTW, the "reject rate" of Teslas is hardly high. Biased much?

How about we look at the -only- thing that matters (from Consumer Reports):

Screenshot 2020-06-25 11.32.51.png
Screenshot 2020-06-25 11.34.04.png

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of CR's owner satisfaction survey compared to JD Power's initial quality survey:

1. Tesla - 33 (last)
2. Genesis - 5
3. Lincoln - 22
4. Porsche - 25
5. Suburu - 26
6. Audi - 31
7. Ford - 17
8. Hyandai - 10
9. Toyota - 21
10. Mini - 18

Interesting that the two brands many consider the gold standard of initial quality, Toyota and Honda, rank 21 and 20 in JDP's "survey".

Look at it the other way, this compares JD Power's survey with CR's:

1. Dodge - 11
2. Kia - 15
3. Chevrolet - 20
4. Ram - NR from CR. They may be lumping it in with Dodge.
5. Genesis - 2
6. Mitsubishi - NR from CR. Not enough responses.
7. Buick - 22
8. GMC - 21
9. Volkswagon - 14
10. Hyandai - 8

Reactions: empiredown
Even though I like looking at JD Power's rankings every so often, the problem with these types of surveys is the data is scrambled together and vaque on what the 'issues' are. The results would be more valuable if they ranked each problem category separately. Like have a ranking for mechanical, electrical, UI , fit and finish etc so a consumer can make a more informed choice. If they do this already, they sure keep it hidden.

Reactions: JMar
The problem with the JD Power report is it includes any kind of problem, and this means it includes customer confusion issues.

This is why cars loaded with tech like the Audi are near the bottom.

Most of us that have a Model 3/Y know first hand that Tesla has some fit/finish and paint issues. Where it bugs some of us like myself, and other people don't care so much.

I was really annoyed with my delivery because they asked me to pick up an obviously defective car. I reluctantly signed for it with the due bill regarding them fixing a bumper alignment issue. It's still of a bit even after they fixed it, but it's not bad.

In terms of fit/finish its worse than any car I've had in recent memory including a 2015 Model S.

It doesn't really bug me because the car is great other wise.

It's just so fast, and so enjoyable to drive. It's not just that, but the entire experience is pretty awesome. Other people have had issues with service which I haven't had. It's been pretty smooth for me since the disaster that was the delivery quality.

Now it's not all rainbow and skittles. If I could pay $1K to a charity to dunk tank the entire autopilot team I would gladly donate that amount. :p

The problem with the JD Power report is it includes any kind of problem, and this means it includes customer confusion issues.

This is why cars loaded with tech like the Audi are near the bottom.

Most of us that have a Model 3/Y know first hand that Tesla has some fit/finish and paint issues. Where it bugs some of us like myself, and other people don't care so much.

I was really annoyed with my delivery because they asked me to pick up an obviously defective car. I reluctantly signed for it with the due bill regarding them fixing a bumper alignment issue. It's still of a bit even after they fixed it, but it's not bad.

In terms of fit/finish its worse than any car I've had in recent memory including a 2015 Model S.

It doesn't really bug me because the car is great other wise.

It's just so fast, and so enjoyable to drive. It's not just that, but the entire experience is pretty awesome. Other people have had issues with service which I haven't had. It's been pretty smooth for me since the disaster that was the delivery quality.

Now it's not all rainbow and skittles. If I could pay $1K to a charity to dunk tank the entire autopilot team I would gladly donate that amount. :p

Was just about to post similar. I've done those surveys, and they ask questions about ease and intuitiveness of controls. Anyone who reads Tesla forums and/or groups know there are several posts daily from an owner complaining that something doesn't work right. The only thing not working was their ability to read the manual. Yet, that counts as bad build quality according to JDP.

Lower priced cars have fewer options, fewer owner adjustments, fewer things to get confused about. As price increases, so does complexity - often, that's what we pay for. Teslas are considerably different from any other new car. If everyone would RTFM, a lot of "issues" suddenly go away.

It is absolutely true.

I bought 2 cars within last 2 years (brand new cars) for both of those I brought with me a Model 3 checklist I found on these forums. Was very useful. Obviously some of the list didn’t apply but a lot did. I ended up rejecting the first car we were offered in both cases due to the list (trim issues), luckily dealers have a bunch of the same car on the lot, so we found ones we loved.

Where do these trim alignment and trunk hatch alignment issues come from?
lexus1.jpg

lexus2.jpg

Wife's 2019 Lexus RX. We never checked this car like we do the Tesla, so maybe we are over-sensitized by these forums. Although I will say I can let a lot of things slip but not the splotchy paint jobs in other posts.

Reactions: Akikiki
maybe we are over-sensitized by these forums. A
This exactly. No one is bringing a checklist when they go to the Toyota dealer. I had a white Prius and after owning it for years, I read about how Toyota had a hard time making the white paint match on the bumper vs. the rest of the car.

Sure enough, when I looked at the car, the bumper was a little off. I had never noticed.

Reactions: empiredown