Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how can I get my Model 3 off my account so I can sell the account w/ a Cybertruck reservation šŸ˜‚

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My head hurts. Help me work this outā€¦

Theoretically, if I sold my Model 3 to a third party for the price of the Cybertruck, then used their money to buy the Cybertruck under my account, could we then swap accounts so I can get my Model 3 back and they get their Cybertruck?

After a year we would then transfer ownership and registration; but is it possible to do that without paying tax?

Any better ways to get the Model 3 off my account, but still have it be mine?

Do something in CA without paying tax?? šŸ¤£

But seriously, no. Tax is charged cause of a transfer of ownership from a DMV perspective; has nothing to do with transferring ownership from a Tesla account perspective. If you sold then bought back your 3, tax would be owed twice.

Keep in mind that some personal info will stick to the account holding a reservation. Example, when I ordered my ā€˜23, I used a wrong account. Transferred the car to my proper account, but all the docs are still showing in the wrong account. Those docs have PPIs (Personal Private Info; name, address, etc.) Havenā€™t tried asking Tesla to completely remove the ā€˜23 from the wrong account, but considering how seriously unhelpful they were transferring the order to my proper account before delivery, I wouldnā€™t hold my breath.

IMG_1060.png

Do something in CA without paying tax?? šŸ¤£

But seriously, no. Tax is charged cause of a transfer of ownership from a DMV perspective; has nothing to do with transferring ownership from a Tesla account perspective. If you sold then bought back your 3, tax would be owed twice.

Keep in mind that some personal info will stick to the account holding a reservation. Example, when I ordered my ā€˜23, I used a wrong account. Transferred the car to my proper account, but all the docs are still showing in the wrong account. Those docs have PPIs (Personal Private Info; name, address, etc.) Havenā€™t tried asking Tesla to completely remove the ā€˜23 from the wrong account, but considering how seriously unhelpful they were transferring the order to my proper account before delivery, I wouldnā€™t hold my breath.

View attachment 1000943
Yeah thatā€™s what I figured also. Guessing my name connected with the purchase agreement might raise eyebrows if I did sell the account. Makes me wonder about all of these people on EBay selling Foundation Series accounts. Sitting ducks for the lawsuit.

But yeah, now Iā€™m stuck. I canā€™t afford the upcharge, I donā€™t want a single-motor, and I canā€™t sell or transfer the reservation. I also canā€™t front the money or even qualify to finance the truck, even if I could buy and resell it. That leaves me with complicated work-arounds that arenā€™t even worth the headache šŸ‘ŽšŸ½

Yeah thatā€™s what I figured also. Guessing my name connected with the purchase agreement might raise eyebrows if I did sell the account. Makes me wonder about all of these people on EBay selling Foundation Series accounts. Sitting ducks for the lawsuit.

But yeah, now Iā€™m stuck. I canā€™t afford the upcharge, I donā€™t want a single-motor, and I canā€™t sell or transfer the reservation. I also canā€™t front the money or even qualify to finance the truck, even if I could buy and resell it. That leaves me with complicated work-arounds that arenā€™t even worth the headache šŸ‘ŽšŸ½
From experience with previous purchases, Tesla does not cross check the account name and the registration information.
my friend got an account who ordered an X back when it was hard to get and registered the car on his name with no issues.
i canā€™t tell you that this wasnā€™t changed between then and now but my guess would be that it didnā€™t.