Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Best to Sell 2015 60 kwh w/Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was an inventory car build in March 2015, so yes.

If this car had been delivered (custom ordered) in December vs build in January it would have been the same price (ordered from Tesla), but on resale, yes there would be a big difference. Shows how broken the model years are. Just my opinion.

Anyone taking delivery now on a custom order 2016 will find their car 1 year old in a few months. Only matters if you are trying to sell like I am though.
Which almost everyone will because leasing is so bad. What am I missing? Who keeps a tech car forever

Just because another 60 sold at auction (with unknown options) doesn't really have much bearing on what you can get for yours. When was the auction? You say recently, but what does that mean, weeks, months? During auctions, people's emotions sometimes drive up the price beyond real market value. It can become an emotional exercise and the other person wants to "win" and ends up paying more than they really should have.

With that said, your car has Autopilot which is difficult to find in the used market especially on the smaller battery size cars. That works in your favor. If you are hoping for mid-60s, you are getting really close to a new 60, which has a lot more going for it. New car warranty, better fit and finish (theoretically :p), ability to unlock battery capacity, etc. Realistically in my opinion, upper 50s to low 60s, is what the market draws for your car.

Which almost everyone will because leasing is so bad. What am I missing? Who keeps a tech car forever

I do. Lots of people do. Lots of reasons to buy what you like today, and keep it for 8yrs or so. One reason... I hate paying sales tax on cars. Buy a Tesla every few years and in most areas, a buyer is looking at $2,000 - $3,000 a year just for sales tax. Depreciation is in top of that! A couple of states not. But the vast majority of states...yes.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I do. Lots of people do. Lots of reasons to buy what you like today, and keep it for 8yrs or so. One reason... I hate paying sales tax on cars. Buy a Tesla every few years and in most areas, a buyer is looking at $2,000 - $3,000 a year just for sales tax. Depreciation is in top of that! A couple of states not. But the vast majority of states...yes.

Agreed. In California you pay sales tax on 100% of the purchase price, regardless of trade-in. For this reason I typically go 1-2 years used, and hold the car for 7+ years. This @#$% state gets enough of my money as is.