Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate is your TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swapped onto my winter tyres on the M3 today, 18" Aero. I checked with a few different pumps that read 50psi but the TPMS indicators were reading 42psi as per spec. I know that many pumps are inaccurate, but is TPMS more trustable?

Changed to my winter set yesterday and as they were delivered direct fromTesla I assumed the tyres would be inflated correctly - stupid me. Took the car for a run to reset TPMS and after 10 minutes got a low pressure warning with tyres at around 25psi. Pumped them up to 42psi back home and went for run again. Car status (TPMS) showed 42psi so pretty accurate. Mind you I still haven’t managed to get rid of the yellow TPMS warning yet so longer drive today to hopefully clear it.

Have you told it you changed your shoes? Our TPMS detected the new wheels well within a mile but then said that we should configure them in service menu - so next opportunity we just told the car we had 18" wheels, again. That may be the yellow icon you are seeing so it will no go until you go through that process.

Tyre pressures are very temperature dependent. We changed ours and they were probably around 7C and iirc were around 38/39PSI except one at around 32. Quick topup and been stable at 41/42 since. I expected to have to pump up tyres when I changed them but would have been disapointed had they not been enough to get me to an air pump - the fact we use to drive cars around on 24-30PSI I would be happy driving short distance on these in that range. I wish I had not have disposed of my old tyre pump now though.

Yep - changed from 20” to 19” on the wheel configurator before going out the first time. Second run was only about 10minutes so probably too short. If the light doesn’t go off today after a longer run I’ll go through the configuration process again.

We didn't get the message to setup in wheel configurator until after it detected the new TPMS. And that took literally half a mile to a mile. So maybe wheel configurator is something that needs to be done again? Odd if its already been done, but a few things Tesla are odd so it wouldn't surprise me.