Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot weather drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a newer Model S 85D owner (I got it used form Tesla in April, it is a 2015) and I love the car! It is starting to get really hot here in South Florida, and it is only going to get hotter. I notice that my battery drops percentage points each day when I am at work. Looks like the AC turns on quite a bit, I am assuming due to overheat protection. Losing like 1 mile+ per hour. I am going to buy a sunshade for the windshield to help reduce the heat buildup a bit. Any other tips? Of course I am Black on Black inside and out.
I am 99.99% sure it is the AC as I was working in the garage yesterday and the car was out in the driveway and it would start up the AC a number of times per hour for a few mins each time. The only 3rd party app I use is Tesla Stats and it tracks phantom drain and it seems to correspond with my observations.
Thanks for the tips in advance!

Turn off AC protection, leave sunroof open to 12%. Do u hear fans on the front with doors open? If so its cooling battery. U have a problem
With battery.
My cabin got so hot, even with dark tint I put reflective silver dash protectors up there for summer. Used kitchen suction cups to hold it in place. It cut my cabin temp way down. I also put black towel on dash to absorb the sun ray's so top of dash stays cooler. It really helped ac get colder.
100 in cabin is ok.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Turn off AC protection, leave sunroof open to 12%. Do u hear fans on the front with doors open? If so its cooling battery. U have a problem
With battery.
My cabin got so hot, even with dark tint I put reflective silver dash protectors up there for summer. Used kitchen suction cups to hold it in place. It cut my cabin temp way down. I also put black towel on dash to absorb the sun ray's so top of dash stays cooler. It really helped ac get colder.
100 in cabin is ok.
No sunroof. I think I am going to get a windscreen shade for now to see how much that helps. Worth the $20 to try for sure.

I am a newer Model S 85D owner (I got it used form Tesla in April, it is a 2015) and I love the car! It is starting to get really hot here in South Florida, and it is only going to get hotter. I notice that my battery drops percentage points each day when I am at work. Looks like the AC turns on quite a bit, I am assuming due to overheat protection. Losing like 1 mile+ per hour. I am going to buy a sunshade for the windshield to help reduce the heat buildup a bit. Any other tips? Of course I am Black on Black inside and out.
I am 99.99% sure it is the AC as I was working in the garage yesterday and the car was out in the driveway and it would start up the AC a number of times per hour for a few mins each time. The only 3rd party app I use is Tesla Stats and it tracks phantom drain and it seems to correspond with my observations.
Thanks for the tips in advance!
Ditch Tesla stats and watch your phantom drain drop.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpudLime
Cabin overheat protection can chew through 5-10% of my battery during a typical work day if the car is parked in the sun. I turned it off and bought a sunshade. Using that much energy to cool an empty car is shockingly wasteful to me.