Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoosier off-peak charging incentives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have any AES customers used their EV charging/off-peak plan? I've contacted the company and only gotten more confused talking to the disinterested customer service folks. Their verbal explanation sounded way more involved that what I read below. I know I'm not that bright, but I figured this would be a little easier to understand. I'll attach the AES document here if I can. If anyone else has already done this, I'd love to hear your experience / expense, etc. The rates sure are tempting, but obviously they don't make sense if the equipment requirement cost is prohibitive.

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 9.36.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 9.36.28 AM.png

Yes, I have the plan and it is amazing. We have a Model X and a Model 3. we keep them both charged, typically for less than $20 per month. total. Roughly 2.5¢/kWh.

The plan is pretty simple, the rates on the sheet you have, are it. You do have to have a separate meter and service entrance. That cost me around $3,000 to an electrician to install, but my installation was very convenient, YMMV

Yes, I have the plan and it is amazing. We have a Model X and a Model 3. we keep them both charged, typically for less than $20 per month. total. Roughly 2.5¢/kWh.

The plan is pretty simple, the rates on the sheet you have, are it. You do have to have a separate meter and service entrance. That cost me around $3,000 to an electrician to install, but my installation was very convenient, YMMV
Thanks. I’m wondering about the equipment needed. Labor charges aside, what equipment did you need to get?

Thanks. I’m wondering about the equipment needed. Labor charges aside, what equipment did you need to get?
You will need to provide or purchase the actual charging terminal. You can purchase charging equipment from Tesla, AES Indiana, the electrical contractor you hire, or even Amazon or eBay. I already had two Tesla Wall Connectors so I just used them.

You must hire a licensed electrician to install the meter base, riser and service entrance. AES will only connect to a properly permitted meter base. There is actually no charge from AES Indiana to install the drop and provide the meter. But they won't do it if there is no permit.

I don't know the impact of having buried service. My service is aerial.

Unfortunately there are very few folks at AES Indiana that know anything about the program. But there is a process that starts out with you submitting a form with your account information, address etc. They will determine if service is available at your location. If it is, you can hire a contractor.

I got on HomeAdviser.com (angi.com), and got three quotes. roughly $3,000, $6,000 and $9,000. Best was from Dowdy Electric. Once installed, you can reach out to AES Indiana and schedule the connection. It took about a month to hook me up. AES Indiana is a pretty small company, since they only provide service to a single city.

I had the contractor just run the wire to the two locations I was going to use. I hooked them up to my wall connectors, myself later. I needed to leave them connected to my existing service, while I waited for AES Indiana to hook me up.

My only regret was not doing this years before. It turns out that charging our two Teslas, was nearly half of our total consumption.

Reactions: Tcoma