Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Expressway Permits - Changing Government

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An announcement from the Hong Kong Transport Advisory Committee was made late May 2011:

The Transport Advisory Committee (TAC) recommended that electric cars with an output of at least seven kilowatts be allowed on expressways. The committee also recommends clearance for electric motorcycles of at least three kilowatts.

Figures given were that as of May 2011 only 68 private cars and 9 motorcycles are registered in Hong Kong as battery-powered.

The TAC suggests that 7kW is equivalent to >500cc. Both i-MiEV and Leaf exceed 50kW, but "My Car" only outputs 5kW.

TAC chairman Rimsky Yuen Kwok-keung said authorities would soon begin procedures to implement the new standard this year.

It has been a while, so I thought I'd give an update:

I continue to get monthly 'updates' from the transport department, but no substantive reply and no action. They appear (to me) to be stalling until the law is changed. It is coming up to four months now, and they still have not been able to provide a legal reason why there is a tie-in to insurance requirements (not surprising as I've read the law and there is no such explicitly defined requirement - the duration of the permit is at the discretion of the commissioner of transport).

So, last month I lodged a complaint with the office of the ombudsman, alleging bureaucratic constraints interfering with administrative fairness, as well as the limited duration of the expressway permit issued to my vehicle (as a test case). I also lodged a complaint concerning the secretary of the environment's misleading response to legco. The ombudsman has replied that their office has written to both the transport department and the secretary of the environment, seeking to be involved in the case.

I remain convinced that the law will be changed within the coming few months. I remain pissed at the stonewalling from the transport department and lack of action from the office of the secretary of the environment.

A win! (part 1, anyway)

I just received a letter from the transport department. After 5 months of complaining and finally escalation to the ombudsman, they have now replied:

"We have in this light revisited the arrangement for further streamlining. Since 10 October 2011, we have streamlined the practice and an applicant for expressway permit is only required to submit a policy of insurance or cover note which shall be valid on the date when the permit is to become operative. As such, the validity of the expressway permit and that of the vehicle license is aligned."

They have also added a condition to the expressway permit to say that the vehicle must be insured to drive on the expressway (which is 'bs' and an attempt to cover/excuse themselves, as there is already ample legislative coverage on the requirement for insurance when driving on any road - including expressways).

So, that is a win. When the vehicle is first registered, an extra form and extra HK$160 is now paid, and the vehicle license and expressway permit, both valid for 1 year, are issued. Similar for renewal. Much smoother and the removal of an obstacle to the adoption of EVs.

Part 2 is now the removal of the expressway permit requirement for suitably powerful EVs. This is in the legislative process already, and I am told should be enacted this year (although, as always, that may slip until next year).

P.S. They did not address my complaints of why this unnecessary restriction was in place to begin with, and why I and others had to pay another HK$160 to renew after 30 days. I still intend to take this up through the ombudsman to get compensation and action.

I'm 99% certain that by the time it comes to renew my permit, the law will have been changed and it will not be an issue.

Looks like I'm about to lose my bet with myself. My permit is coming up for renewal :-(

That said, it has gone to Legco:

http://legco.gov.hk/yr11-12/english/panels/tp/papers/tp0206cb1-961-3-e.pdf

to allow the following types of EVs to run on expressways: -
(i) an electric private car;
(ii) an electric motor cycle; and
(iii) an electric motor tricycle,

of which the rated power output of the electric motor is equal to or greater than :-
(a) 7kilowattsforelectricprivatecars;and
(b) 3 kilowatts for electric motor cycles or electric motor tricycles.

But, nothing more substantial than 2011-12 schedule. This was supposed to have been done by the end of 2011...

Edit: P.S. One interesting titbit: The Transport Department (TD) has received 238 applications for expressway permits from EV owners in 2011, and 238 expressway permits have been issued.

Three Road Traffic Regulations to take effect tomorrow

Hong Kong (HKSAR) - The Road Traffic (Expressway) (Amendment) Regulation 2012 and the Road Traffic (Registration and Licensing of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulation 2012 will take effect on Friday (June 29) to allow the use of certain types of electric vehicles (EVs) on expressways without having to obtain expressway permits.

Under the existing law, registered owners of an EV must apply to the Commissioner for Transport (the Commissioner) for an expressway permit before he or she can drive the vehicle on expressways.

A spokesman for the Transport and Housing Bureau said the above regulations were aimed to facilitate the policy of promoting the use of EVs in Hong Kong.

Under the new regulations, for EVs solely propelled by electric motors, if they are electric private cars with rated power equal to or greater than 7 kilowatts (kW), or electric motor cycles or electric motor tricycles with rated power equal to or greater than 3 kW, they are permitted to run on expressways without having to obtain expressway permits.

I think we can put this one to bed. Thanks for everyone who helped push.

Interestingly, I got a letter from Transport Department saying the law has been changed, and I should take my vehicle license and registration document in to be updated.

Helper did it today, and I got back:

1. New Vehicle License, with no expressway permit restriction
  2. Updated Vehicle Registration Document, listing 40kW rated power

They also gave me back the expressway permit, so I guess we can have that burning ceremony after all ;-)

40kw.jpg