Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda Fit EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honda dropped the price on the Fit EV Lease substantially today:
http://automobiles.honda.com/news/press-releases-article.aspx?Article=7222-en

36-month lease only, but the new pricing is very competitive compared to other manufacturers. Anyone here driven one?

I had the opportunity to test drive one today, before the person purchasing it took it away this afternoon. Feels like a fit, with a high floor. Driving dynamics are good. Acceleration is good, but not Tesla-smile inducing. Felt like about 60-70% of the fun of a Model S Performance, with the power dropping to LEAF-levels after 50MPH. It's certainly high on my list as a city-car for commuting and around-town driving. Unfortunately, the 3-year lease probably won't get us all the way until Bluestar is released, but I can hope.

A very kind Fit EV owner let me take one for a quick drive around at a National Drive Electric Week event. I think he was on a waiting list for a bit, but that means there's at least one in Massachusetts (metrowest Boston area). I didn't really take it through any paces, since it wasn't a dealer car, so I defer to SByer and fengshui's reviews. I would guess it'd be a decent competitor to the LEAF if Honda is willing to back it.

A very kind Fit EV owner let me take one for a quick drive around at a National Drive Electric Week event. I think he was on a waiting list for a bit, but that means there's at least one in Massachusetts (metrowest Boston area). I didn't really take it through any paces, since it wasn't a dealer car, so I defer to SByer and fengshui's reviews. I would guess it'd be a decent competitor to the LEAF if Honda is willing to back it.

The Honda Fit EV, like the Toyota Rav4 EV, will stop it's production shortly while they move to a hydrogen vehicle for 2015 and beyond CARB-ZEV compliance.

All the Honda Fit EV's will be crushed at the end of the lease only 36 months. None will ever be sold.

The Honda Fit EV, like the Toyota Rav4 EV, will stop it's production shortly while they move to a hydrogen vehicle for 2015 and beyond CARB-ZEV compliance.

All the Honda Fit EV's will be crushed at the end of the lease only 36 months. None will ever be sold.

I actually don't have a problem with this at all. Unlike before, there will be plenty of EVs waiting for those converts to buy.

but that means there's at least one in Massachusetts (metrowest Boston area).

Huh! Jus' eyed one on the MA pike in Boston not 20min ago, which is why I promptly jumped on the TMC forum 'cause I knew y'all would have the correct info to share on this nice little Honda EV.

Have never leased before, but I'am considering it until the Model ☰ becomes available. Unsure that I would want give my money to a company like Honda since members stated that they are not committed to EV's and are just going to crush 'em and build fool-cell vehicles.

Last edited:
Huh! Jus' eyed one on the MA pike in Boston not 20min ago, which is why I promptly jumped on the TMC forum 'cause I knew y'all would have the correct info to share on this nice little Honda EV.

Have never leased before, but I'am considering it until the Model ☰ becomes available. Unsure that I would want give my money to a company like Honda since members stated that they are not committed to EV's and are just going to crush 'em and build fool-cell vehicles.

I doubt you could even find one for lease. There are folks on the west coast that have been on dealer lists for many, many months. Plus, they have probably already built all 1100 for CARB-ZEV compliance for model years 2012-2014.

For 2015 compliance, expect a hydrogen car that will earn 300% more credit per car, plus they only have to offer it in California. In 2018, manufacturers of battery electric cars that are subject to CARB-ZEV will have to offer those battery cars in all CARB states. Hydrogen cars are exempt.

That's insane. No major car manufacturer would ever make a lease-only EV and then offer no purchase option, especially if they're popular and the owners (ok, leasers) really love them! They would certainly not crush. the. fleet...

But that is exactly what GM did with the EV1 in 2003. General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apologies if you already knew that. I am guessing that you did. :)

Yep. And clearly he'll have enough material to do another sequel, since the Honda Fit situation looks like an exact replay of GM's EV-1. Which is the point I was trying to make earlier in an attempt to be humorous (but was apparently a bit too subtle). Shrug. I was exasperated enough by the whole EV-1 scenario. I know those who don't learn from history are bound to repeat it, but when those who must be fully aware of the history walk on exactly the same path? I idealistically expected more from Honda.

But then if a decision has been made only to make a small number of vehicles of a new tech and no more, then it only make sense to keep the vehicles on the road and in customers hand only until the manufacturer is sourcing parts and assembling it.

Having parts and trained tech available to support a handful of cars long after the program is discontinued is prohibitively expensive and sometimes impossible.

Once the decision has been made to stop manufacturing after small numbers it makes sense to get it out of the customer hands and not deal with pesky warranty and support issues. Toyota is now at the mercy of Tesla for drivetrains that I believe are already getting obsolete.

........Toyota is now at the mercy of Tesla for drivetrains that I believe are already getting obsolete.
I am not sure I understand your meaning. Tony can confirm but I believe the RAV4EV drivetrain is the same as the Model S with software limited torque. I don't know, but I suspect Toyota's arrangement with Tesla included some warranty support for drivetrain failures. I recall Tony had his replaced and I know of a few others.

I am not sure I understand your meaning. Tony can confirm but I believe the RAV4EV drivetrain is the same as the Model S with software limited torque. I don't know, but I suspect Toyota's arrangement with Tesla included some warranty support for drivetrain failures. I recall Tony had his replaced and I know of a few others.

Yes, tephe Model S (not the P85, however) and Rav4 EV motors are the same. That means they also shared the same issues with the now coined "humming" noise. Yes, my Tesla motor, serial number 331, was replaced in my Rav4 EV.

Yes, manufacturers like to crush and extinguish cars that won't be sticking around:

GM - EV1
BMW - MiniE
BMW - ActiveE
Honda - Fit EV

I suspect that Toyota would like to do the same for the Rav4 EV. Originally, the first generation Rav4 EV was a lease only - crush at end compliance car. But, famously, some folks convinced Toyota to actually SELL the cars (ok, it was actually a paperwork snafu that allowed that) and ultimately hundreds of those were sold and many still remain.

So, this second generation Rav4 EV was sold, also, which means that there will be Rav4 EV's out there for a long time. The production, however, has ceased in September 2014, two years after they first went on sale. Almost 2600 were produced.

I further suspect virtually all the future hydrogen compliance cars will be lease only, crush at the end vehicles.

Starting in 2012, the "Large Vehicle Manufacturers" must sell a minimum number of California Air Resources Board - Zero Emission Vehicle (CARB-ZEV) qualifying vehicles for compliance in California:

Manufacturer - ZEV used for compliance:

Ford - Focus EV
Honda - Fit EV
Chrysler/Fiat - 500e
Toyota - Rav4 EV, iQ EV
GM Chevrolet - Spark EV
Nissan - LEAF

For model years 2015 and beyond, both large and intermediate vehicle manufacturers are subject to CARB-ZEV:

BMW - i3
Fiat/Chrysler - 500e
Ford - Focus EV, hydrogen by 2018?
General Motors - Spark EV, potential "200 mile EV moon-shot", hydrogen by 2018?
Honda - absolutley hydrogen
Hyundai - absolutley hydrogen
Kia - Soul EV
Mazda - Demio EV
Daimler/Mercedes - B-Class ED, Smart ED, hydrogen by 2018
Nissan - LEAF, eNV-2000
Toyota - absolutley hydrogen
Volkswagen - eGolf

Auto manufacturers that are NOT subject to CARB-ZEV due to their small size:

Tesla
Mitsubishi
Fuji Heavy Industry (Subaru)