Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Maps update is GREAT!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if folks have been discussing, but I’m loving the updates to Maps.

The directions are bigger and clearer. The swiping and tapping for details works better than ever before.

The adding and editing stops finally works.

And you can see the street you’re traveling in which is very helpful - more clearly now on the bottom left.

Between this and Apple Music, this update has made me happier than I’ve been with my Tesla interface in a long loooooong time!

Not sure what you mean, so I ran it through The Google:

"Tesla uses Google Maps as the base for the Tesla maps. Navigation and data about routes use a different source, a company called MapBox."

MapBox is based on OpenStreetMap.
OpenStreetMap is editable by anybody. I've made a number of corrections to it where I've found errors. Usually stupid things like bad 1-ways or intersections incorrectly disallowing turns. MapBox will normally then update within a week.

When the Waterville, ME location was found, I noted that OSM didn't have a section of road marked divided as it should have been. That could have explained why I once saw somebody (not in a Tesla) turn left out of the nearby gas station into the divided highway, and could have had Tesla misrouting people.
(I've actually just double-checked Google and noted that it has it wrong as well, so I've sent an edit.)

Reactions: GoodKarma
MapBox is based on OpenStreetMap.
OpenStreetMap is editable by anybody. I've made a number of corrections to it where I've found errors. Usually stupid things like bad 1-ways or intersections incorrectly disallowing turns. MapBox will normally then update within a week.

When the Waterville, ME location was found, I noted that OSM didn't have a section of road marked divided as it should have been. That could have explained why I once saw somebody (not in a Tesla) turn left out of the nearby gas station into the divided highway, and could have had Tesla misrouting people.
(I've actually just double-checked Google and noted that it has it wrong as well, so I've sent an edit.)
yes, and I have made edits to OSM in the last couple of years that has helped me out in our area. Didn't take long for the edits to take effect either.

Seems like the satellite view is notably clearer now?
Yes, they almost look 3D

With all the complaints about Tesla -- name me ONE just ONE car manufacturer that does a better of updates. IF ANY... My son just purchased an Audi E-Tron (really nice car. ) The car dealer told him that if any (if any) updates were to become available he would have to bring it in to the dealership to have it updated. Each time I get a new update I feel a little guilty, and don't really say anything to him about it. Hate to brag. . .

Last edited:
So if I update OSM it should appear in the Tesla nav at some point?? What is the best way of doing that ?
If I am understanding the question correctly, you create an OSM account, go in there and do your edits, and then wait. But don't expect it to take effect immediately. Some edits that I did were taking effect in a few days, and a couple edits took over a month.

Reactions: DadRS99