Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch receiver size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I did read that and it refers to a 1.25" hitch. The accessory hitch is now listed as a 2". I can understand they want everyone to get the tow package but the verbiage for the accessory hitch on the design page says:

Accessory Hitch

Add a factory installed 2" accessory hitch to your Model X for carrying bikes, skis, snowboards and more. Compatible with all 2" hitch mounted racks.
Tell me what "and more" is and what the specs are for the accessory hitch to make sure "and more" works.
I understand your point better as I missed that they changed it from 1.25" to 2". I'd be willing to bet the weight remains. I'm sure they just realized that there are a lot more 2" accessory options than 1.25". I bet they did not redesign any suspension or framing to beef up from what they had on the 1.25" spec tho. Adelman confirmed that there are physical changes to the frame for the towing package.

Why would you pay the 500 to save 750. When I found out about the change, I spoke with a rep and he explained that the tow still added value to my usage scenario. Plus changing it now would only save me 250. I kept the tow package for that price.

Why would you pay the 500 to save 750. When I found out about the change, I spoke with a rep and he explained that the tow still added value to my usage scenario. Plus changing it now would only save me 250. I kept the tow package for that price.
Actually, I upgraded my order to the tune of several thousand dollars, but I downgraded from the tow package to defray the extra upgrade cost. I will need a 2" hitch receiver but don't need to tow anything.