Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Historical Charging Usage Report?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I am not a Tesla owner (yet), but have a mid 2018 delivery estimate on a model 3. My question is whether there is the ability (through the car interface, the mobile app interface, or through a web login) to report on historical charging usage (I did a search in the forums but cam up empty, so apologies if this has been discussed previously).

I'll give an example of why that would be interesting/useful to me. I know that the fuel costs of my current ICE vehicle during Q1 of 2018 were $945.00. At some point I would also like to be able to say that in Q1 of 2019, the cumulative kWH of electricity that went into charging my EV was XXX, and at current market values that electricity cost is $YYY. Without some reporting capability, I would have to begin tediously tracking and recording all of the charging daily, which I would rather not.

Regardless - thanks in advance to any experienced users here in this forum for any advice, thoughts or experience that they can share on the subject.
Cheers,
Wildm011

Reactions: Pkmmte
Your online Tesla account will have detailed reporting for supercharging only. But that may not be 100% reliable. I once experienced a complete station shutdown in the middle of a charging session, and only the second part of the session showed up on my account. Got a bit of free energy. but no record of it.

There is no detailed reporting for A/C charging. The car does have trip meters that track energy usage, but that's about it. You would have to reset them periodically and keep track and would lose some accuracy because they measure output and not input. There are services you can sign up for to monitor your car, such as TeslaFi. So if the reporting is that important to you then you might want to investigate there.

I purchased a Chargepoint Home 25 wifi charger. Gives me the historical data in $, kwh, and miles/ km added.

I highly recommend this charger!

Main reason I bought this charger is because I have Duplex and my tenant has a plug-in hybrid Ioniq... and I'll have my Model 3... so I don't want to pay for her "fuel" and she shouldn't have to pay from mine (we split utilities 50/50)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: DR61 and LoL Rick
I purchased a Chargepoint Home 25 wifi charger. Gives me the historical data in $, kwh, and miles/ km added.

Main reason I bought this charger is because I have Duplex and my tenant has a plug-in hybrid Ioniq... and I'll have my Model 3... so I don't want to pay for her "fuel" and she shouldn't have to pay from mine (we split utilities 50/50)
Thanks. I was considering installing a Tesla HPWC, but this may be another factor to consider!

Your online Tesla account will have detailed reporting for supercharging only. But that may not be 100% reliable. I once experienced a complete station shutdown in the middle of a charging session, and only the second part of the session showed up on my account. Got a bit of free energy. but no record of it.

There is no detailed reporting for A/C charging. The car does have trip meters that track energy usage, but that's about it. You would have to reset them periodically and keep track and would lose some accuracy because they measure output and not input. There are services you can sign up for to monitor your car, such as TeslaFi. So if the reporting is that important to you then you might want to investigate there.
Thanks - the TeslaFi service looks interesting. If any TeslaFi subscribers care to weigh in, I'd be curious to know if they can Tally the KWH of nightly home charges fairly easily.

Thanks - the TeslaFi service looks interesting. If any TeslaFi subscribers care to weigh in, I'd be curious to know if they can Tally the KWH of nightly home charges fairly easily.

I've thought about it, but it's blind to charging losses (e.g. long thin cables, 110V, etc.)

I've though about rolling my own one of these mobile power meters, or I might put a wifi-connected power meter in my subpanel.

charge1.PNG

charge2.PNG

Here is a couple screen shots from TeslaFi of the charging info. The logs are pretty detailed. It's free for 2 weeks or one month with a referral (my username is my code).

• Informative
Reactions: privater
View attachment 293978
View attachment 293977

Here is a couple screen shots from TeslaFi of the charging info. The logs are pretty detailed. It's free for 2 weeks or one month with a referral (my username is my code).

I like Teslafi too. Lots of data. I don't watch it every day, but it can tell me things like -

- How much electricity did I use every month
- What was the range each time I changed to 80%

It does represent some losses, but It doesn't represent everything. I do have a meter on my charging circuit so I could compare, but I haven't taken the time to do it.

As cd81 mentioned, there is a free month with a referral code. He/She answered first, so you may use that one if you decide to try it out.

The one negative is that it requires a token to your car.

Hello everyone,
I am not a Tesla owner (yet), but have a mid 2018 delivery estimate on a model 3. My question is whether there is the ability (through the car interface, the mobile app interface, or through a web login) to report on historical charging usage (I did a search in the forums but cam up empty, so apologies if this has been discussed previously).

I'll give an example of why that would be interesting/useful to me. I know that the fuel costs of my current ICE vehicle during Q1 of 2018 were $945.00. At some point I would also like to be able to say that in Q1 of 2019, the cumulative kWH of electricity that went into charging my EV was XXX, and at current market values that electricity cost is $YYY. Without some reporting capability, I would have to begin tediously tracking and recording all of the charging daily, which I would rather not.

Regardless - thanks in advance to any experienced users here in this forum for any advice, thoughts or experience that they can share on the subject.
Cheers,
Wildm011

I bought this. Very cool software. Ability to enter multiple TOU and kWh total rates. Only tracks one circuit so your home charger in this case. CDN company quick shipping. You could keep track of your Supercharging use separately. All I need now is the car to plug in ;)

I also just bought one for the Bolt. I'm also thinking about getting one of these so I can monitor total home elect usage: The Sense Home Energy Monitor

I bought this. Very cool software. Ability to enter multiple TOU and kWh total rates. Only tracks one circuit so your home charger in this case. CDN company quick shipping. You could keep track of your Supercharging use separately. All I need now is the car to plug in ;)
Sorry to be dense, but what was it you bought? Maybe I missed a link to a product or website somewhere along the way...