Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high pitched whine from front motor 85 d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone hear the whistle at low speeds less than 5 MPH. I hear it during creep. I hear it on acceleration and deceleration. It even oscillates. I hear it at high speeds too. It is getting annoying.

I have a one month old 90D with about 2k Miles on it.

The whine from my front motor is starting to really frustrate me now.
Not present when new, it was beautifully silent, and now at4500 miles it is annoying to the point you have to have the music on to drown it out.

It sounds very much like a straight cut gear whine, not a motor whine, you can even hear it chirping when feathering the accelerator on light throttle, and it changes to a slightly different sounds on deceleration like it is on the opposite faces of the teeth.

I dont know the contruction in detail but I could wonder if Tesla have a splined output shaft from the motor that feeds a straight cut reduction gear, and it is this that is causing the problem rather than something inside the motor itself, either through inadequate lubrication or tolerancing.

Going to have to mention it to the SC at some point.

That would be your front motor :smile:

No motor should whine like that.

If a high end ICE car can completely muffle the sound of a large engine why couldn't Tesla do the same for a motor.

The fact is, for three years now, (I had a 2012, S85), I have felt that the front Firewall did not Muffle sound very well. People standing outside the car could hear my phone conversations very clearly.

When at the SC, I saw a front motor while a car was on a lift. They have a sound absorbing jacket surrounding the entire motor like they did to the air conditioner compressor. Obviously that is not enough, they need to sound proof the Front vertical Firewall itself.

Tesla techs sometimes will tell you that the back motor also makes sound but you don't hear it. I don't believe that. If it was true then they must have a lot more sound proofing in the back.

The whine from my front motor is starting to really frustrate me now.
Not present when new, it was beautifully silent, and now at4500 miles it is annoying to the point you have to have the music on to drown it out.

It sounds very much like a straight cut gear whine, not a motor whine, you can even hear it chirping when feathering the accelerator on light throttle, and it changes to a slightly different sounds on deceleration like it is on the opposite faces of the teeth.

I dont know the contruction in detail but I could wonder if Tesla have a splined output shaft from the motor that feeds a straight cut reduction gear, and it is this that is causing the problem rather than something inside the motor itself, either through inadequate lubrication or tolerancing.

Going to have to mention it to the SC at some point.

I have the same issues @3500 miles, I have already had them take a look and I was able to recreate the noise with the lead technician riding with me. He pulled up a notice from Tesla stating they know about it and are working on it. Don't quote me but the sound occurs 20-25khz frequency..

I have the same issues @3500 miles, I have already had them take a look and I was able to recreate the noise with the lead technician riding with me. He pulled up a notice from Tesla stating they know about it and are working on it. Don't quote me but the sound occurs 20-25khz frequency..
If you can clearly hear 20-25 kHz in a normal environment then you are quite exceptional.