Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitch sound while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had my m3p for about a week now and have noticed that the car makes a very high pitch sound while supercharging. Its a hard noise to describe but is a very high pitched ringing sound, like the ringing sound you get in your ear sometimes.

It also makes this sound when parked in the morning with the heater running inside to condition the battery. However as soon as I go out and open the door, the ringing stops. Just want to make sure this is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: dmurphy
Ive had my m3p for about a week now and have noticed that the car makes a very high pitch sound while supercharging. Its a hard noise to describe but is a very high pitched ringing sound, like the ringing sound you get in your ear sometimes.

It also makes this sound when parked in the morning with the heater running inside to condition the battery. However as soon as I go out and open the door, the ringing stops. Just want to make sure this is nothing to worry about.

Hah, you must have excellent hearing. :)

This is the car running the motor (but in a mode that does not produce torque) in order to generate heat to warm the battery. A warm battery is necessary for it to be able to charge (to have regen for instance).

I can just slightly hear it myself. Is yours really loud?

This sounds totally normal to me.

I wish Tesla would give an indication when it is warming the battery and that it would give you the ability to more closely control this (other than tying it to cabin heating).

Funny you mention this - my wife was just pointing out to me today how she hears this high pitching noise whenever she pre-warms the cabin... Comes out to the car and she can hear it. It's pretty loud to her, and much fainter to me; guess one of us has some hearing loss to account for.

But yes - this is perfectly normal and @eprosenx nailed the why. Very cool design feature of the Tesla motor BTW; using it to generate heat without producing torque is bloody genius.

This is the car running the motor (but in a mode that does not produce torque) in order to generate heat to warm the battery. A warm battery is necessary for it to be able to charge (to have regen for instance).

I wish Tesla would give an indication when it is warming the battery and that it would give you the ability to more closely control this (other than tying it to cabin heating).
Ah that makes sense thanks! Its not really loud or anything but I can definitely hear it when Im outside the car while supercharging on a cold battery / conditioning the battery. It is very high pitched/high frequency. I walked passed other cars that were supercharging (mostly model S/ X and they weren't making the sound. Maybe because they are different models or were charging with already hot batteries from driving that didn't need conditioning

Reactions: eprosenx

Ah that makes sense thanks! Its not really loud or anything but I can definitely hear it when Im outside the car while supercharging on a cold battery / conditioning the battery. It is very high pitched/high frequency. I walked passed other cars that were supercharging (mostly model S/ X and they weren't making the sound. Maybe because they are different models or were charging with already hot batteries from driving that didn't need conditioning

Model S/X have dedicated battery heaters; they don't use the unique method Model 3 does for heating the battery.

It sounds just like this, not as loud as this video, but same frquency. Is this how yours sounds?