Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

high frequency sound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been stumped as to why my dog screams - and I mean loud screaming like she's being tortured - while riding in my MY. This is not something she did with our ICE vehicle nor the 2014 Model S. It occurred to me that there might be high frequency (outside human ability to hear) sound that is painful for dogs - or at least her. It's just a guess and not sure what a solution might be. Any others noticing dog discomfort while driving with them?

I've noticed a slight high frequency noise/whine coming from my model 3 with the throttle depressed at certain positions (usually when there is a very low load applied to the motors... so for example, maintaining a speed on the highway). From what I understand, it may be related to the grounding? I've read about others experiencing this as well so perhaps this is what your dog is freaking out about?

Next time I need to go to the SC, I'm going to mention it.

Reactions: bwilliams
Upvote 0
The car does generate a high frequency sound. Its normal. I can faintly hear it but most people I ask can't. I have a model 3 and can hear it when my rear seats are down. High frequency sounds are generated by a lot of electronics. High frequency sounds have been known to cause anxiety in dogs.

Reactions: bwilliams
Upvote 0
I've noticed a slight high frequency noise/whine coming from my model 3 with the throttle depressed at certain positions (usually when there is a very low load applied to the motors... so for example, maintaining a speed on the highway). From what I understand, it may be related to the grounding? I've read about others experiencing this as well so perhaps this is what your dog is freaking out about?

Next time I need to go to the SC, I'm going to mention it.
Normally mine does this also. It's louder in a certain throttle position. Almost neutral like when I am not accelerating or slowing. Its normal.

Upvote 0
The car does generate a high frequency sound. Its normal. I can faintly hear it but most people I ask can't. I have a model 3 and can hear it when my rear seats are down. High frequency sounds are generated by a lot of electronics. High frequency sounds have been known to cause anxiety in dogs.
Reality check. This is a bummer not just for the dog but the human(s) having to listen to the screaming and knowing my dog is really suffering.

Upvote 0