Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other words at ASP of $57,000 * 5,000 * ~50 weeks = $14 billion of annual revenue.

Really -- try give an intelligent explanation of how "I can't wait until they get to" $14 billion of annual revenue supports your short thesis.

think about it like this

If I sold $20 bills for $10

and said to you

"I can't wait to hear your thesis when i get to 14b in revenue"

What would you say?

think about it like this

No. That isn't thinking. You are not contributing to any intelligent discussion of ASP, GM or COGS etc.

At 5,000 per week, there won’t be any excuses left to hold back the $35K model. Now if they improve build quality, then I will be rethinking my position.

The excuse for holding back the $35k Model 3 is the same excuse for holding back the $59k Model S: the higher priced, and higher margin models demand meets or exceeds the supply of those models. When you are going to understand basic supply and demand microecon 101?

Tesla Kills The Entry-Level, 40 kWh Model S Citing Poor Demand

If their supply grows enough, maybe they will pull that demand lever, but may they never need to.

Why the obsession with the $35k model availability which seems to offer zero support for a short thesis anyway?

Reactions: neroden
Nice ad hominem attack, hopefully the mods take notice.

That’s not an ad hominem attack; hopefully you take notice. His attack was on @Reality not discussing ASP, GM, or COGS. That’s an attack on the argument, not on the person— therefore, not ad hominem. Likewise, he attacked your obsession with the $35k version, not you personally. Again, not ad hominem.

And regarding the $35K Model 3, take a look at the purported automotive margin and you will see why I can’t wait for it to go on sale.
I also cannot wait for Tesla starting to sell 35k cars.

You do realize Tesla will do that only when they are making money on that car, which also means they are at 25% margin on a very conservative $45k ASP.

Yeah, can't wait.

ShortSeller - hypothetically, let us say that Tesla only sells the LR/AWD/P3LR at an ASP of $55k for the next 12 months and maintains a rate of 5k/week and never opens up $35k model for the next 12 months - are you going to be upset?

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
ShortSeller - hypothetically, let us say that Tesla only sells the LR/AWD/P3LR at an ASP of $55k for the next 12 months and maintains a rate of 5k/week and never opens up $35k model for the next 12 months - are you going to be upset? Why?

At 5,000 per week, there won’t be any excuses left to hold back the $35K model. Now if they improve build quality, then I will be rethinking my position.
Most curious to know how you continue to review build quality? I own model3 and have zero issues with it or build. Currently have had it for 4 months. Now I realize you’ll claim I just got lucky and got the one perfect car but I don’t believe that. Got my invite to get my AWD drive version one week after others. Try an experiment. Call tesla line to ask question about model 3. Demand so high I suspect you will be put on long hold. Not many share your concern

In this case, EM has done the math for us when he said, "selling base Model 3's now would kill the company."
It's one of the very few EM statements that seem utterly reliable.
Robin
He said that, and note the use of the word "now". And yet, the shorts latch onto that statement and somehow claim that Tesla can't ever make a profit selling base Model 3s. It's exactly that deliberate misinterpretation (after being corrected already) that got @ShortSeller temporarily banned.

In this case, EM has done the math for us when he said, "selling base Model 3's now would kill the company."
Robin

Why is this statement a surprise to anyone? Any company if they end up selling only the base model will go bankrupt one way or the other. This is true for Corolla or Civic. EM's statement is exactly in line with what he has been saying for years. Base model will be either a loss leader or zero profit, *even* when the production is humming at 10k a week.

So they need to achieve a good production rate *and* most importantly make it run like a well oiled machine before they can break-even on the base model.

This is mass production 101. The shorts know this very well. But ShortSeller here and everywhere is trying to create a FUD around this statement. This is exactly the kind of lies and deceit that gets them banned.

The moral compass of all shorts is highly suspect for the same reason.

Why is this statement a surprise to anyone? Any company if they end up selling only the base model will go bankrupt one way or the other. This is true for Corolla or Civic. EM's statement is exactly in line with what he has been saying for years. Base model will be either a loss leader or zero profit, *even* when the production is humming at 10k a week.

Tl;dr; when you're only selling 1/3 the target volume, it's good the sell the widgets that bring in 3x as much, but that doesn't mean the lower cost widgets are not profitable.

Stating that you can not fully fund the new production line nor company by selling the lowest cost product at 1/4 to 1/3 the planned production rate does in no way imply the product is a loss leader or at zero profit. Rather, the point of the automation of the 3 line and its design is to cut costs far enough to make 3 SR RWD a profitable car.

S was claimed to have a 30k marginal cost back in the day (possibly the 60kWh pack). I think 3 SR will be GM positive once the line is at rate (correct amount of amortized fixed cost).