Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz rental QR code not working - Any tips to get it to work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 🎆

I’ve got a Model 3 Standard for rent this week, pretty smooth, fast ride. I’ve been checking out the Performance as a possible purchase ….

But how do I get the QR code to pop up in “the lower left of the touchscreen” to set up my phone as a key?

I spent about 30 solid minutes setting up and getting familiar with seat, mirrors, etc and 28 of those minutes was looking for this damn QR code, to make it display on the screen.

And yes, the Hertz was no help ….

And since this QR code seems to be a mystery, including to a former software developer I spoke with when supercharging, here is a link to Hertz’s digital key video:

Thanks!

-

Welcome to TMC,

I have never rented one of these, but the app is one of the cool features about the ownership experience, and thankfully it doesnt work like that with QR codes, etc.

Beside the QR code stuff, what are your thoughts on the car? Do you have current EV experience, or was this a "lets see what its like" type take a flyer?

Welcome to TMC,

I have never rented one of these, but the app is one of the cool features about the ownership experience, and thankfully it doesnt work like that with QR codes, etc.

Beside the QR code stuff, what are your thoughts on the car? Do you have current EV experience, or was this a "lets see what its like" type take a flyer?
Thanks.

I like it actually. The supercharger network keeps a Tesla in the running over something more flexible like a new Toyota Prime (new Prius model or RAV4)

The Standard is pretty fast. It feels close to as fast as my old CBR600F3 race bike.

-

Thanks.

I like it actually. The supercharger network keeps a Tesla in the running over something more flexible like a new Toyota Prime (new Prius model or RAV4)

The Standard is pretty fast. It feels close to as fast as my old CBR600F3 race bike.

-

The LR and P are both extremely fast. Some people consider them a bit "soulless" because they are used to speed = noise and that takes some time getting used to the disconnect between those two things in an EV.

The model 3 LR is the sweet spot, in my opinion anyway (even though I have a model 3P and a model Y P). In any case, good luck with figuring it out, and happy holidays.

Reactions: Transformer
I rented a Model Y from Hertz recently, and it was great to download my driver profile (Model 3 seat & mirror settings don't carry over to Y), use the app for remote defrosting, etc.

Connecting my phone app didn't work at the airport and the staff didn't know how to help. I could get the QR code back on screen by exiting, locking, and reentering the car. It all worked fine the next morning.

Hypothesis: Trying to connect both of our phones triggered a bug, needing both of us to exit the car and walk out of Bluetooth range or turn off Bluetooth temporarily, or at least my spouse to turn off Bluetooth.

I rented a Model Y from Hertz recently, and it was great to download my driver profile (Model 3 seat & mirror settings don't carry over to Y), use the app for remote defrosting, etc.

Connecting my phone app didn't work at the airport and the staff didn't know how to help. I could get the QR code back on screen by exiting, locking, and reentering the car. It all worked fine the next morning.

Hypothesis: Trying to connect both of our phones triggered a bug, needing both of us to exit the car and walk out of Bluetooth range or turn off Bluetooth temporarily, or at least my spouse to turn off Bluetooth.
I’m going to turn off bluetooth then exit, lock and then re-enter.

….. tomorrow lol

-

Possible solution from @Karmavore. This type of “solution” will have to be tried after Christmas.

Don’t want to brick the car lol

Renting a Y from Hertz?

-
Success!

I tried the above linked method and Hertz phone agent was able to remotely delete the prior use who was still logged in, reset guest mode and once exiting/locking/re-entering the vehicle the QR code immediately popped up on the car’s touchscreen.

Phone key now active!

-

Success!

I tried the above linked method and Hertz phone agent was able to remotely delete the prior use who was still logged in, reset guest mode and once exiting/locking/re-entering the vehicle the QR code immediately popped up on the car’s touchscreen.

Phone key now active!

-

Thanks for confirming that the linked method also worked for you.

I actually copied the post you linked to as its buried a bit in that thread, and made it a separate thread so it can be easier found. I am going to link it here, because between this thread and the one I am linking, I am hopeful people searching for this will be able to find it easier.

I wish that Hertz would spend $75 for a key fob. Then the passive lock and unlock would work and everything would be easy. I rented a Model Y in Phoenix recently and used the huge plastic thing that they provide. It was almost impossible to lock or unlock the car with it. It was also difficult to get it to start. The other issue was that when I checked in I asked them how much charge there would be, the answer was 80%. It was 30% so I had to make an extra stop. Everything else was perfect. No problem with charging. The range was degraded quite a bit but it was a long range so it would make it to the Grand Canyon with no problem.

I’m actually using a Hertz EV rental right now: a 2023 Polestar 2, which has a key fob that seems like it’s from the 1980s. It also has an app that’s primitive at best. You can look/unlock the doors and turn on the AC from it, but little else. The car itself? I cannot imagine how they’re selling these (well, I guess they’re not, really) for the same price as a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I have a slightly different problem. I’m scanning QR code and After three to five minutes, I receive a message that the digital key has been removed, and a couple of minutes later, the car disappears from my program. I have done this already 30 to 40 times. I called Hertz. They tried to disable and enable guest mode, but nothing helps. Moreover, I cannot even create my profile in the car. In the middle of the drive, the car removes my profile and all settings, including mirror and seat positions, navigation priorities, and autopilot options. It frustrates me so much that I don't know how to deal with it anymore. I have been on the phone with Tesla and Hertz. All Tesla advised me was to change the car, and the response from Hertz's Ren Tavai company completely surprised me: if the car drives, everything is fine. They cannot offer me anything else. Most likely, I will change the car.