Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help,older breaker box can't accommodate another 240-volt breaker,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon
Help needed: I'm trying to install a home Level 2 charger, and am having one of those worst-case scenarios where an older breaker box can't accommodate another 240-volt breaker, and the electrician is providing a quote that includes an auxiliary panel which will take the total installation past $7,000. The house has sufficient service, only the panel is the problem. I feel like there must be some load management solution. Thoughts ?

Help needed: I'm trying to install a home Level 2 charger, and am having one of those worst-case scenarios where an older breaker box can't accommodate another 240-volt breaker, and the electrician is providing a quote that includes an auxiliary panel which will take the total installation past $7,000. The house has sufficient service, only the panel is the problem. I feel like there must be some load management solution. Thoughts ?
So there's insufficient space in the panel or insufficient capacity? What amperage is the main breaker?

It might be cheaper to just put in a larger panel.

If the panel has room for another 120v breaker you could add a 20amp 120v breaker use that to feed a NEMA 5-20 outlet which would allow charging at 120v/16amp and it's possible that a suitable exterior or garage outlet might be upgradable to a NEMA 5-20 with just an outlet swap, if the outlet is fed with 12-2 wire. Even with charging losses this would put 20kwh into the battery in a 12 hour charging session.

Upvote 0
they have automatic transfer switches. The use case is if you have an electric clothes dryer outlet then you can also plugin and EV charger and using the clothes dryer will stop your EV from charging. I suppose it would work with any 240V load like a stove or oven. I don't know if it could be wired into other things like a hot water heater.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Upvote 0
I already have an auxiliary panel (installed be a licensed electrician) and sufficient service to the main panel. Knowing this, the "Tesla approved" installer told me he couldn't use the existing sub panel, and quoted me over $2,000 PLUS the installation of a second sub panel next to the main panel ($3000+) for a 50 amp circuit and a 14-50 plug. I got quotes from 2 other electricians before selecting one (licensed) that charged me $900. He was the one that pointed out that I didn't need a 50 amp circuit because my Mobile Charger only supported 32 amps. He installed a 50 amp anyway, and suggested an option for a shorter cable run that cut 60 feet off my run (still using the $0.18 per foot guideline). He also told me to look into rebates from my provider that no one else mentioned, and that resulted in a $500 rebate, making the entire installation cost $400 instead of more than $5,000. My charger works great, never heats up, and I've had no issues at all. My biggest adjustment has been learning to park on the other side of my garage, although my wife loves that change. My point is ... get more than one estimate! Not all electricians (or anyone else) have the same level integrity.

Upvote 0
SplitVolt is an option if you have a reasonably accessible 240 receptacle somewhere near a decent parking spot. You plug it into your dryer (or other 240 v) receptacle, then plug your dryer (or other appliance) and your EVSE into it (they have two spaces). When you run your dryer the SplitVolt automatically stops EV charging until the load is complete, then it switches it back on.

Reactions: herrlich98
Upvote 0
  1. Most 200 amp panels have 40 breaker slots but can accept more circuits with tandem breakers. 120v single-pole breakers use 1 breaker slot, while 240v double-pole breakers use 2 breaker slots.
  2. The new specification is that the number of circuit breakers installed must not exceed the designed number of breakers the panel board can hold. Therefore, the circuit panel manufacturer will indicate the maximum number of permitted circuit breakers for fitment in the electrical service panel.
  3. The rating of an electrical panel relates to the maximum rating of the main supply circuit breaker used to disconnect from the main supply.
  4. The panel manufacturer will give instructions on the panel as to the number of various rated breakers the panel can support

That said, if you panel cannot accommodate tandem breakers it should be cheaper to replace the whole darn thing and upgrade and future proof. Get another electrician or get a quote to upgrade your panel.

Reactions: RSpanner
Upvote 0
I installed a secondary 100A panel myself adjacent to my existing one. It was super easy...
  1. removed two 120v breaker(A&B) phase. Adjacent breakers are on different phases(1,3(left))(2,4(right)).
  2. replaced with a 100A breaker
  3. Placed new panel in next stud section adjacent to existing. Ran (2"C) between panels.
  4. Ran #1 AWG copper between panels, A, B, Neutral, and Ground. color code your wiring if utilizing all back jacketed cable. I know the neutral and ground are oversized.
  5. Extended the two 120 circuits to the new panel. with #12/2
  6. 50 or 60 amp / 240v breaker for your ev in new panel.
  7. Run #6 or larger wiring from panel to 14-50 outlet.
I did this a few years ago. Will save you around 6k....

Be sure turn off your power circuit breaker by the meter before working on your existing panel.

• Informative
Reactions: Jonez and KenC
Upvote 0