Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed: center screen in day mode at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Forum colleagues,

Tonight my center screen refused to switch into night mode. I tried the following remedy:

1) manually switch the screen setting into night
2) soft reset
3) hard reset
4) total power down and restart.

Nothing. The center screen stays dark.

Please note that the car does recognize darkness because the lights (including automated high beams) are automatically switched on and off correctly.

Anything else I can try before writing to the SC?

Thank you

Confused, the screen is usually light (white) in day mode and dark at night. If it’s too dark, have you tried manually adjusting the screen brightness? I have had the opposite problem, where it has been dark during the day and nearly impossible to read anything on. I was able to turn the brightness up a bit and after a while the screen switched over on its own.

Sorry, no other thoughts since you've rebooted and switched out of the automatic mode and back again. I assume you've turned off the Auto setting to switch between day and night automatically, and you've switched off the auto-brightness? I can tell you that the screen's decision to switch modes is not related to the outside brightness, at least on my AP1 car. I had issues at the Daylight Savings switch-over a year or so ago, where the time changed by an hour but the screen was still changing itself over at the original time. I figured it must work on the same light sensor as the headlights, but in talking to the service help line I was told that's not how it works. A couple of days later it started switching itself over properly again and I haven't had issues since (other then the time it stayed in night mode during the day).

If it is still happening after a couple of days, a call to the service centre is probably in order. Any chance your change from HW2.0 to 2.5 might have messed with the centre display?