Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! I have a brand new Tesla and a "line sync" error message when I try to charge i

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny. I'll tinker a bit more. When I tried it again I could adjust but only seem to get 12A and 15A as options.

After having 240v issues at home I tried 120v and it worked fine, but then was stuck with just the 12a/15a options until after connecting back to 240v. So I agree it is odd that sometimes you can't adjust since the car is assuming the other voltage. I guess besides beating the clock on changing the current, you could set the start time before connecting, connect, then if the start time is respected, you have plenty of time to change the current and change the start time back to on plug in, if desired.

Usually charging errors appear to occur if the line voltage drops as charging starts as Benji4 said. You can see the voltage on the VDS as charging begins. Typically a drop from say 242 to 238 is fine, if the voltage drops 10V or more, you may have a bad connection in the socket, the panel or through the breaker. Simply measuring the voltage with no load shows nothing.
Other causes are poor grounding of the socket, if the 'earth' connection isn't good the gfi in the charger will trip - it's concerned that there is a human connected to the output. Again, this is a wiring fault.
One thing your electrician can safely ignore is the 'Neutral' line; the Tesla charger doesn't use that at all.

While testing a 3/1 phase converter at 3x16A socket, to charge a roadster with 40A 240V, I got a "line synch error" even bevor charging started. The same effect happend with a "Smart ED" equipped with tesla tecnology.
At the winner of Automotive X Prize, Roger Riedener in Uster CH, the converter worked perfect with a built in ACPropulsion charger 10-80A, 100- 240V like in Mini-E.
The converter is a special frequency inverter none isolated, that means the output voltage of 240V is symetric about 140V to earth.
To use the converter with the roadster, i need to find out the reason of the synch error.
Who could help?

emq > Power Quality / EV Charging solutions

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!
It was the cable-- Tesla Fedex'd a new one, we plugged it in, and it is glowing yellow. Already up to 135 miles! Makes me want to sit in the garage, watching it charge, and enjoy the evening. What joy! Thank you everyone for all your excellent & timely advice! I drove it to work and gave my office manager the thrill of her life!

Last edited: