Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you turn up the heat, where else did @gavine expect the heat to come from. Clearly he wanted heat. It was chilly, and he cranked the temp up... what was the car supposed to do?

Just to clarify, my point was that it was chilly because of the air conditioner running to dehumidify. It wasn't chilly outside at all. My hope was that turning-up the temp a degree or two would lower the AC compressor output but not necessarily turn the heat element on. I understand that the car did was it's supposed to do and engaged heat because that's what it thought I wanted.

The other thing to note here is that it seems Tesla cranks the AC compressor up high when it's first turned-on, then it slowly ramps down. That could have been the problem I had. If I had just waited a bit, it probably would have settled-down anyway, making all of this moot.

Reactions: scaesare
You set a low end range where you want the heat to come on, in my case this would be 60. And you set a high point where you want the AC to come on, in my case this is 72. And the ability to have the fan/vent in all cases.

Ok that's an interesting and probably useful feature. Instead of a fixed temperature setting you want to define a range that is acceptable. I think that could be useful. Not sure how well that would work in real world, but it makes sense.

But again, give the method I explained above a try. Forget temperature, just use the number to adjust up and down. It works great for me. It drives my passengers nuts as they look at the number and if it's not what they think is supposed to be comfortable, they get uncomfortable just because of that LOL.

Reactions: beachmiles
Ok that's an interesting and probably useful feature. Instead of a fixed temperature setting you want to define a range that is acceptable. I think that could be useful. Not sure how well that would work in real world, but it makes sense.

Yes, any thermostat that can automatically switch between heat and cool needs to have a dead zone where it does neither. This is how practically all programmable thermostats already work, and they do it well in the real world. I honestly don't know why automakers (or at least the ones I have experience with) don't realize this and implement it.

But again, give the method I explained above a try. Forget temperature, just use the number to adjust up and down. It works great for me. It drives my passengers nuts as they look at the number and if it's not what they think is supposed to be comfortable, they get uncomfortable just because of that LOL.

Is this technique only available on Model S & X? How does one program the right scroll wheel to adjust temperature?

• Love
Yes, any thermostat that can automatically switch between heat and cool needs to have a dead zone where it does neither. This is how practically all programmable thermostats already work, and they do it well in the real world. I honestly don't know why automakers (or at least the ones I have experience with) don't realize this and implement it.

To be fair, there might as well be a dead zone in Tesla's climate control when switching between cooling and heating, just not exposed to the user.

Is this technique only available on Model S & X? How does one program the right scroll wheel to adjust temperature?

I don't know sore sure, but I would think the M3 has the same feature.

To be fair, there might as well be a dead zone in Tesla's climate control when switching between cooling and heating, just not exposed to the user.

If there is, it's incredibly small. My point is that there is should be a dead zone that is settable.

I don't know sore sure, but I would think the M3 has the same feature.

Okay, let me explicitly ask you then: how do you do this on your Model S? On my Model 3, the right scroll wheel controls the cruise control speed. How do you get yours to control temperature? Is it a setting?

Same thing for the Nissan LEAF. They eventually added a HEAT button, as a hardware update, of course, i.e. you had to buy a whole new car to get it! You would think that this would be fairly doable in software.