Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas air conditioning mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I loved that the 'auto' mode had low, mid and high for fan speed when I first got the car but I quickly realized even on high the fan gets down to 2 when the cabin gets to the desired temperature. I am constantly switching to manual to up the speed or turning the temp down in auto so the fan speed increases. Texas summers are brutal, this year in particular.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Yep, I'm constantly using manual mode for higher fan speeds, also in a hot humid state. My gripe with the AC doesn't stop there. Let's see... in summary, I despise 1) anything nerfing the manual AC fan controls and 2) forcing outside air circulation on humid days (aka 99% of the time). And both of those are related to the horrible stink that lives in my M3P AC.

• Swipe up AC Fan Nerf: A few updates back, maybe in May or June 2023, on the swipe up AC controls screen they changed the increase/decrease manual fan speeds to be smaller horizontally and harder to tap, my guess is to encourage using the new scroll wheel->fan speed option.
    • I use both depending on the situation, but nerfing the area to tap fan increase/decrease is nonsense b/c it makes it harder to use with no upside.
  • Auto-fan increase humidity in the car and AC system: The ridiculous auto-fan to "dry out the AC" when you park your car is terrible in my humid world. Makes my AC stink worse every time it runs it. Seriously, if it is raining or super humid, there is no reason to run the damn fan with outside air being pulled in, it can only bring in more moisture.
    • Stinks up my car more
    • Makes my car hot
  • AC Keep on mode: The "Keep" AC on mode when parking for a short time is bad because it goes into automode. So when I set it to 70 degrees, park in a shady spot, then come back... it has once again allowed outside air circulation and brought in a terrible amount of humidity and it stinks to high heaven once again.
    • Makes my car stink and get warm in the wrong situation, using outside air and/or the heat pump
    • If I change it to say 65 degrees, then it runs the fans too high, wastes battery, is too loud, and makes it too cold. There is such a very sensitive middle ground you have to find. And that's my whole problem with the automatic AC controls... it is always too finicky to get cold (zero outside air, zero heatpump) plus fan set between 5 and 7, which is how I have to run my car 90% of the time for 9 months out of the year.
  • AC via phone app broken: If I don't use the KEEP mode, then I try to turn on the AC as I walk away, the fan icon on the phone app hangs up and will not turn on the AC, even if I try for over 60 seconds. Why? My guess is it's trying to run the automatic fan + no AC of course, to make sure my car is hot and humid when I get back. Thanks so much, you moody jerk of an AC.
    • Maybe this is a bug and they need to fix it, but it's been going on for the last several weeks if not months. My fix was the KEEP mode, but then I've started having problems with KEEP mode since it doesn't allow manual controls.

One more comment, I don't think setting it to 66 on automatic_AC necessarily uses any more electricity than say setting it to 70 and turning the fan way up. The way their AC works is basically about 4 temp settings and then the fan settings as a separate entity. The following are pretty true regardless of fan speed, but the outside temp plays a factor, so just assume these during warm or hot weather:

a. AC is on, inside circulation (re circulation of inside air). That's their cold mode.
b. AC is on, outside circulation, that's their cool but not cold mode (problem here is humidity where I live).
c. AC is on, heatpump is on low, outside circulation might be on depending... this is the lukewarm mode.
d. AC is on, heatpump is on max... this is hot mode. Uses the most electricity, not including fan considerations. This is what causes the battery to drain like mad during the winter.

You can have any fan speed during any of these modes to either increase or decrease the effect.

For Manual AC mode, what we'd all want is...
1. Recirculation On/Off toggle, and do NOT change it when in manual mode, unless I press the button to change it.
2. AC On/Off toggle.
3. Heatpump - low/hi toggle.

Reactions: SalisburySam