Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one "request" this?

In a couple of weeks, I'm driving to Chicago with my family and my 87 yr. old mother will be with us. I can't have the car behaving like it is now. I'm fairly close to a SC and may drop by before I leave if I don't get this update soon.

While generally the SvCs shy away from people coming in just for software updates, requesting that as a resolution to poor heater performance in the Canadian winter should be fine. Good luck!

How does one "request" this?

In a couple of weeks, I'm driving to Chicago with my family and my 87 yr. old mother will be with us. I can't have the car behaving like it is now. I'm fairly close to a SC and may drop by before I leave if I don't get this update soon.
When I got my car it was the week of the 7.0 rollout, as I have the AP hardware I asked my DS to make sure it was equipped with 7.0 before pickup. That didn't happen, but a few days after pickup he referred me to the service manager in Vancouver who took about 10 minutes and told me that my car would download the update momentarily, and sure enough, a couple hours later I had 7.0

They CAN do this remotely obviously, but don't seem to like to.

I have been struggling with temperature control since upgrading to 7.0. The first time I went to the service center they replaced a faulty part, but it didn't make much difference. Last Friday I took it back for an unrelated issue,mentioned the heating still didn't work well,and they upgraded to 2.9.12.

in my short experience since being upgraded, 2.9.12 is still conservative about fan speeds, one has to set the temperature higher than before (I used to set it at 72 and now use 76), and it will always default to heat coming out from the bottom of the car in auto mode. However, it is not as sensitive to temperature changes (no blowing of cold air once it reaches the desired temperature), which makes a big difference. To make it even better, I overrode the auto mode so heat will come out of the front vents and from under the car,and it seems fine now.

Had the opposite experience tonight. Front windows were left down for several minutes in 30F weather while climate was turned on and set to 72F. Another several minutes after windows were rolled up it was like being in an oven with a hair dryer pointer at your face. Had to turn down heat to 64F before it stopped heating.

"Lower Temperature" of High Defrost setting

mknox: Regarding the "Double Tap/HI" defrost setting not feeling "hot":

If the HVAC system is already putting out as much heat as possible and you roughly double the airflow, the temperature of the air will be lower than before.

==> But hopefully, the "effectiveness" of the more forceful flow of warm, dehumidified air over the windshield will be higher. :rolleyes:

mknox: Regarding the "Double Tap/HI" defrost setting not feeling "hot":

If the HVAC system is already putting out as much heat as possible and you roughly double the airflow, the temperature of the air will be lower than before.

==> But hopefully, the "effectiveness" of the more forceful flow of warm, dehumidified air over the windshield will be higher. :rolleyes:

Maybe, but before when I used HI defrost, I would often have to turn it off after a minute or two because the car would get extremely hot inside, and I could feel the hot blast in my face. Perhaps they've lowered the heat output (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it's curious that both Temperature Controls still say "HI", but the heat coming out sure doesn't feel like "HI" used to.

somewhat unrelated, but has anybody noticed that smart preconditioning is not working as well as it used to? Last winter I used to always find the car nice and warm when I went out to the garage weekday mornings, I don't think I have seen it do that this winter yet.

Has anybody seen an improvement with the latest Firmware update? I feel, there has been some improvement with 7.1, but still after a while, there is again cold air blown into the car.
Setting the car to "range mode" helps somewhat, but I just think this cannot be the ultimate solution. I am on FW 7.1, 2.9.172.

Has anybody seen an improvement with the latest Firmware update? I feel, there has been some improvement with 7.1, but still after a while, there is again cold air blown into the car.
Setting the car to "range mode" helps somewhat, but I just think this cannot be the ultimate solution. I am on FW 7.1, 2.9.172.

7.1 has helped get the heater back closer to what I thought was very good performance pre-7.x days. Primarily, the blower will now come on to sensible levels when calling for heat (i.e. 5-7 rather than just 1).

I do find it will then drop back down to 1 or so once it gets up to temp initially, and then seem to not ramp back up when raising the set point several degrees.