Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads-Up-Display (HUD): More proof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you're saying you simply must have HUD so your eyes don't have to travel another few inches to the dash to check your speed? And you simply must have TACC or it's a deal breaker?

When I got Tesla, I sold my Priuses. Vastly better. (I am wondering where else your eyes travel that so wear you out that you must have HUD. Human eyes are very good at looking around, and I am positive that your eyes are not glued to the road ahead for hours)

Deal breaker? Please, feel free. There are thousands in line behind you.

Ouch! :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Only 1-2 mentions of the side mirrors. Heh. They had side mirror stalks/pods on a prototype Model X since 2014. Once the regulatory powers that be get out of the way, I'd look for SHUD (side heads-up display, or a projection of what's behind/beside you right about where it would be (on the side window) relative to where the side mirrors are seen now).

As far as keeping Model S/X owners "happy", this doesn't have to be hard. For ease, roll out the technology across the production lines at the same time. Bundle it into the S/X price, and charge for it in the Model 3 variants.

Optional S/HUD seems like a winning option. If it's standard in all Model 3 configurations (and thus of course for all S/X), then I believe what we'd have there is a nice big fat DISRUPTION in the automotive industry :).

I would love to see it. The Model S is already the best seller, by far, in the large luxury sedan segment. Being the best seller in the much more crowded BMW 3 series/Audi A4/Mercedes C-class segment is a tad more difficult, but all of what we've heard so far does bode well.

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx
Actually, the fact that the refreshed or face lifted Model S does not have HUD lowers the chance that Model 3 would have one at all.
It's just something Tesla does not think that it's necessary.

Err, that's because the Model S has an instrument panel... It would just be redundant to put a HUD there, I think.

And, if they just made this hire, the HUD cannot be ready for production.

If they want to re-do the entire interior of the Model S, maybe we'll see it in the Model S in 2018.

But, also: they don't have major issues with older cars not being able to get everything retrofitted, from what I've read. Some things yes, some things no.

• Disagree
Reactions: sebxx and jkk_
My older eyes don't have the range of focus they did in my younger days. They are sort of "locked in" at about 2-4 feet for optimal focus. So, I am starting to wear reading glasses if I have to look at something very close, and I started to wear distance glasses for driving. The driving glasses work great for things out on the road, but then things in the cabin are a bit out of focus. It would be nice if there was a HUD that had a "distant focal distance" so it would show IP things in focus even through my distance driving glasses.

• Informative
Reactions: sebxx
My older eyes don't have the range of focus they did in my younger days. They are sort of "locked in" at about 2-4 feet for optimal focus. So, I am starting to wear reading glasses if I have to look at something very close, and I started to wear distance glasses for driving. The driving glasses work great for things out on the road, but then things in the cabin are a bit out of focus. It would be nice if there was a HUD that had a "distant focal distance" so it would show IP things in focus even through my distance driving glasses.

HUD can be designed to display the virtual image at any distance (as close as your windshield, and as far as infinity).
For example, my BMW HUD's image appears to be right in front of the car beyond the hood.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
When I stopped being able to see my dashboard instruments clearly using my single focal length eyeglasses (for distance), I switched to progressive lenses. I have them for both my regular and sunglasses and they work great.

Reactions: T34ME
With regards to the posts above, I have a 2012 Prius plug-in. It has an HUD that was included in the $35,000 package price. The HUD projects at the very lower windshield. It is out of the way but easily visible. It displays speed, power efficiency in a bar graph, and navigation arrows if you have a destination entered (as well as audio commands in a pleasant female voice). It is brighter during the day and softer at night. Works great! I wear "transitions" eye glasses that turn dark when in sunlight and there is no conflict with the HUD. My wife wears polarized clip-ons with her glasses and she can see the HUD fine.

So, in our opinion:
- the HUD in our car is NOT a distraction
- a relatively high tech HUD is possible in a $35K car as standard
- our HUD works great with useful information, it is anything but a gadget

A good HUD, like on a Prius, is essential to us. We hope that it comes standard on the T3, but we will pay extra to get one if necessary.

We also have a primitive AP on our car. It is a radar cruise control that monitors traffic directly ahead only. We have come to depend on it. If the T3 doesn't include this feature, even as an option, that would be a deal breaker for us.
The HUD on the Prius is great. Having speed, power, and driving directions smack dab in front of my face is awesome. The only issue I've found is that it's hard to see if the sun's at the right angle, but then again, so is the road.

My favorite thing about it the HUD being able to completely turn off the instrument cluster/touchscreen at night. Really handy in the country if there's no moonlight.

• Informative
Reactions: ikjadoon
What I want to see in a HUD is for the GPS navigation to point directly to the road I'm supposed to turn off onto so I can distinguish it from the road right beside it at a slightly different angle.
When I stopped being able to see my dashboard instruments clearly using my single focal length eyeglasses (for distance), I switched to progressive lenses. I have them for both my regular and sunglasses and they work great.
It was a bit of a kick in the teeth when I was prescribed progressives. "I'm getting old."

I confess, I'm still struggling to get enthused about this.

It seems to be just taking the digital display which normally is embedded into front edge of a dashboard and remounting into the top of the dashboard.

Unless the display screen is made physically larger, it will now appear smaller/more distant when reflected in the windshield than when it was sitting in front of you. (Using a larger display to compensate would be more expensive - but are we considering that as an option? - see below).

The depth of the top of the dashboard limits the position of the display and hence how far it can appear up the inside face of the windshield (you can use a light on your phone or any torch and move it around to see where its reflection appears)

With the display sitting in direct sunlight and needing to be run brighter to offset ambient light levels and reflection losses from the windshield will there be lifespan issues?

/ debbie downer moment

Okay - bouncing back - here's an idea.

The reason why the tablet in the launch model 3 was mounted on a support rather than being embedded as it is the S, is because the HUD replaces it as well. The HUD runs the entire width of the dash so that the front passenger can use it too. Controls are provided on a second screen which is mounted lower down, between the two front seats (where you might be able to spill your coffee over it ;)

Too expensive? Probably. Harder to control than a conventional touchscreen? More than likely.

Oh well...

Unless the display screen is made physically larger, it will now appear smaller/more distant when reflected in the windshield than when it was sitting in front of you. (Using a larger display to compensate would be more expensive - but are we considering that as an option? - see below).
The depth of the top of the dashboard limits the position of the display and hence how far it can appear up the inside face of the windshield (you can use a light on your phone or any torch and move it around to see where its reflection appears)

HUDs are not a simple reflection of a display screen on the windshield (some of the 3rd party "HUD" device, or those HUD apps on your smart phones are, but they are not real HUDs). Properly implemented HUDs use optics - so it can "project" the display image to a larger size than the display screen, and make the virtual display image appearing at any distance (from as close as your windshield to as far away as infinity).

I imagine most of the tech will be in the Model S long before 3.

I don't think Elon will want to give away his secrets by putting them into the Model S first. I don't think he has learned from his MX "hubris". It's just way more amazing if one keeps everything under wraps until the reveal. I mean, maybe some Model S will have this technology after the Part 2 Reveal when everyone knows the deal, but that'll be only 60-90 days before the Model 3 starts to be manufactured.

IF there is a HUD the center display will still be present.

Thanks for clarifying that.

.... Properly implemented HUDs use optics - so it can "project" the display image to a larger size than the display screen, and make the virtual display image appearing at any distance (from as close as your windshield to as far away as infinity).

That's encouraging. Thanks.

I imagine a HUD with two cameras that track the driver's head position, so that the HUD display constantly adjusts to match the view through the windshield. Lane markers, signage, other vehicles, etc. I can also imagine a forward looking infra-red camera that feeds into those displays.