Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii - Oahu Plug-in America event - who's interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us have expressed interest in having an Oahu Plug In America event. National Plug in Day weekend is Sept 28th & 29th. The Big Island EV Association has scheduled events for both days.

Am looking for feedback on who's interested.

For those interested, please provide input on:

- which day(Saturday or Sunday) and time (morning/afternoon) works for you
- possible venues
- meetup and drive?
- should it be just Teslas or invite other EVs?

Here's a link to the plug in website.

National Plug In Day

Let me know your thoughts..would love to see everyone again and meet new owners!

Sign me up :smile:
Sunday is better but I can get Saturday off if I have to.
Venues would depend on level of interest I would presume, and I have no idea how many would attend.
If Spleen could use his printing prowess perhaps we could put fliers on EV's we run across to try and drum up interest.
It should definitely be open to all EV's IMO.

I'm open to either day, as both are equally busy for me, so it will likely be a game-day decision. Agree that it should be all EVs, in line with the national campaign. Would be nice to get some press out of it and hopefully remind our legislators to add some teeth to the existing EV parking laws.

Aloha Everyone, I just got the email below and thought some of you might find some of the information useful...

Yeah!

Sent from my mobile phone - pardon any typos.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: September 4, 2013, 6:19:23 AM HST
To: [email protected]
Subject: Plug In Day: We have a national sponsor - Nissan
Reply-To: Chad Schwitters <[email protected]>

Hello,

Great news – Nissan is a national sponsor of National Plug In Day!
Here are the implications that may matter to you:

1. This does NOT have any impact on National Plug In Day’s mission
to support all plug-ins. LEAFs should not get special treatment at
events. Nissan understands that the event is about all plug-in
vehicles, and that a growing market helps all brands.

2. This could help some of you with insurance costs. If you are having
your event at a site that requires an insurance certificate (most
don’t), this may apply to you. If you are a Sierra Club member, this
does not apply to you (they have a separate insurance method; see
http://pluginday.org/resources.php#insurance). The rule used to be
that if non-Sierra Club organizers needed an insurance certificate,
Plug In America could provide one - but it would cost your local group
$100. We now can cover this cost from the national funds.

3. Nissan has asked for contact info for city captains in key markets.
A few of you may hear from a Nissan marketing team member soon. There
is no need to be frightened; working with them is very pleasant. Their
goal is to support your event and make it better. They will show up at
some events with employees, cars and banners. (A few cities are
charging automakers a booth fee to show up like this - please let me
know if this is the case in your city). While they will obviously
require some of your time to coordinate, we don’t expect them to
have other demands from you, and we fully expect the net result to be
positive for your event. We would appreciate hearing from you if you
have any issues (or what the heck – we’d like to hear from you if
things go well!).

4. If you are making signs or posters for your event, you should
include Nissan’s logo (top left of NissanUsa.com) when you can.
HOWEVER: please note that Nissan’s logo can not appear on the same
sign as Sierra Club’s logo! (Details here:
http://pluginday.org/resources.php#sponsor). Some signs may not have
the Sierra Club logo; please put the Nissan logo on those signs. If a
sign does have Sierra Club’s logo, then instead of Nissan’s logo
instead please use non-prominent text similar to “National Plug In
Day is brought to you in part by the Nissan LEAF”.

5. We are putting together a “Charging 101” flyer – very
high-level information for curious non-owners to take home with them.
This will have sponsor logos on it (it will not have Sierra Club, Plug
In America or Electric Auto Association logos – just the National
Plug In Day logo). We hope you will make the fliers available for
attendees to take home with them. We are looking for a reasonable
method to print and distribute them at no cost to your event; you may
hear from Erin on this topic (her first question will likely be how
many attendees you expect for your event).

If you have any questions about this sponsorship, please let me know.
We want this to work for Nissan – but it has to work for city
captains as well! We appreciate your support; we can't do this event
without you.

Thank you,
Chad Schwitters
Plug In America

Today, I received an email from Plug In America that has a tie to the Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo at the Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu 9-11 Sep. I am pasting most of the contents here for everyone to see.

Plug In America's Dan Davids will moderate a panel at the upcoming Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo taking place on September 9-11, at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. Among many other great sessions, the panel Dan is moderating is titled:
How Hawaii Can Lead the World in EV Deployment
To help reduce fossil fuel dependency across the islands, Hawaii is looking at the adoption and widespread deployment of electric vehicles as a key approach towards building a clean transportation future. Hear prominent industry and university executives, researchers and electric vehicle advocates discuss how Hawaii can remain a competitive leader in an evolving EV industry. Panelist will examine national and international best practices and market trends, infrastructure interoperability and deployment and EV policies.

The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo is the preeminent meeting place for international leaders and energy experts at the forefront of the clean energy movement. Securing energy independence and developing a clean energy industry that promotes the vitality of our planet are two reasons why it is critical to reaffirm already established partnerships and build new ones throughout the Asia-Pacific region and the world. The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo and the Islands & Isolated Communities Congress provide a forum for the high-level global networking necessary to advance this emerging clean energy culture.
View the full program or register on their event website.
We hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Count me in, and should have be open to all EV's Let me know if I can help I know some of the local dealers and a few contacts with HECO. This might be a good idea for some of the Solar companies as well. To make this a great event we need time to set everything up. Looks like this is starting to build into some thing bigger then we planned.. But that's OK. We might need a bigger meeting place. Any ideas? http://blaisdellcenter.com/ ? Aloha Stadium LOL ok not sure why this is changing my text :( sorry. We should plan some meetings to brain storm like at Starbucks Friday or Saturday one with lots of open parking like Pearl city,:smile: can park on the Walmart side.

Today, I received an email from Plug In America that has a tie to the Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo at the Hawaii Convention Center, Honolulu 9-11 Sep. I am pasting most of the contents here for everyone to see.

Plug In America's Dan Davids will moderate a panel at the upcoming Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo taking place on September 9-11, at the Hawaii Convention Center in Honolulu, Hawaii. Among many other great sessions, the panel Dan is moderating is titled:
How Hawaii Can Lead the World in EV Deployment
To help reduce fossil fuel dependency across the islands, Hawaii is looking at the adoption and widespread deployment of electric vehicles as a key approach towards building a clean transportation future. Hear prominent industry and university executives, researchers and electric vehicle advocates discuss how Hawaii can remain a competitive leader in an evolving EV industry. Panelist will examine national and international best practices and market trends, infrastructure interoperability and deployment and EV policies.

The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo is the preeminent meeting place for international leaders and energy experts at the forefront of the clean energy movement. Securing energy independence and developing a clean energy industry that promotes the vitality of our planet are two reasons why it is critical to reaffirm already established partnerships and build new ones throughout the Asia-Pacific region and the world. The Asia Pacific Clean Energy Summit and Expo and the Islands & Isolated Communities Congress provide a forum for the high-level global networking necessary to advance this emerging clean energy culture.
View the full program or register on thier event website.
We hope to see you there!

One issue I hope they will address at this conference and to address the topic of "how Hawaii can lead the world in EV Deployment". what model can they come up with to address the issues and to help with the adoption for EV chargers in multi-family unit dwellings. Condos and apartments in Hawaii represent the majority of residents in Hawaii. without adequate measures to help them comply with HI law with regard to number of EV parking spaces required for their parking lots, people will not adopt EV vehicles in sufficient numbers for any type of lead with EV deployment. Hawaii will remain an ICE dominated location.

Just my 2 cents.

One issue I hope they will address at this conference and to address the topic of "how Hawaii can lead the world in EV Deployment". what model can they come up with to address the issues and to help with the adoption for EV chargers in multi-family unit dwellings. Condos and apartments in Hawaii represent the majority of residents in Hawaii. without adequate measures to help them comply with HI law with regard to number of EV parking spaces required for their parking lots, people will not adopt EV vehicles in sufficient numbers for any type of lead with EV deployment. Hawaii will remain an ICE dominated location.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree 100%. I personally have lived in apartments most of my adult life and only recently moved into a house (just 4 years ago). I don't think I would have considered the Tesla Model S if I wasn't living in a house at the time I discovered it. If/when the infrastructure is widespread in apartments is when you'll really see some serious EV adoption in Hawaii.

Hawaii was the first state to adopt a law stating that condo associations can't "unreasonably" disallow unit owners from installing EVSEs. This was after a Roadster owner was denied for no reason other than the condo association didn't want to deal with it.

I don't recall if it applied to apartments or not (Dan would know; introduce yourself if you see him at the event - he is always happy to talk to owners). But in any event, encouraging new apartments & condos to have wiring is a great idea too. Vancouver BC was the first city I know of to do this; developers made a huge fuss about the expense, but soon discovered the wired units sold faster and for a premium, and now they happily wire more than they are required to. Incidentally, Vancouver did it because EV owners volunteered for on committees that approved building codes.

Thanks ChadS. That's some great insights. Having wired apartments ready (or at least somewhat easily installed) for EVSEs would be a huge lure for me if I was in the market now, because there's no way I'm giving up my Tesla now that I've had a chance to own one. Perhaps we are closer to the "tipping point" than I thought, but it would help for us (somewhat) early adopters to be more activist and get more done on behalf of EVs.

Count me in, and should have be open to all EV's Let me know if I can help I know some of the local dealers and a few contacts with HECO. This might be a good idea for some of the Solar companies as well. To make this a great event we need time to set everything up. Looks like this is starting to build into some thing bigger then we planned.. But that's OK. We might need a bigger meeting place. Any ideas? http://blaisdellcenter.com/ ? Aloha Stadium LOL ok not sure why this is changing my text :( sorry. We should plan some meetings to brain storm like at Starbucks Friday or Saturday one with lots of open parking like Pearl city,:smile: can park on the Walmart side.

I was looking at some of the resources that Plug-in has for its events National Plug In Day - Resources
And am thinking this event is too big to plan in a few weeks..work is insanely busy for me this month so I won't be able to take the lead on this one. Maybe we should save this event for next year?

I was looking at some of the resources that Plug-in has for its events National Plug In Day - Resources
And am thinking this event is too big to plan in a few weeks..work is insanely busy for me this month so I won't be able to take the lead on this one. Maybe we should save this event for next year?

Yeah, was wondering how we were going to pull this off with such a short lead time. Think that's fine too. We could still do an informal drive just to celebrate plug in day without it being an official event.

Yeah, was wondering how we were going to pull this off with such a short lead time. Think that's fine too. We could still do an informal drive just to celebrate plug in day without it being an official event.

I'm up for an informal drive..Sunday works best for me. Maybe afternoon this time so those who have morning commitments can make it?

And am thinking this event is too big to plan in a few weeks

That's fine; but just to be clear, those resources are to help people that want to plan a big event. You don't have to have a big event - small events are fine! If you want three cars sitting in a parking lot, that still counts. If you just want a drive, that counts. If you still have it as an NPID event, it will be listed on the NPID map, so people in your area may hear about NPID and join in. It's just another way to get the word out about what you're doing.