Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having Second Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've said before, my previous mental limit for spending money on a car, was $40ish. The Model S has somehow completely redefined that to a point where I think $80k is perfectly reasonable, but if it is, that opens up a whole spectrum of ICE cars that I'd never even considered before.

For me personally, the only way I can justify spending that much money on the Model S is that it will be much cheaper to run than a comparably priced ICE car. So ICE cars in the same price range is completely out of the question. And over here, for what the Model S Performance costs, I'd only get a base Audi A7 2.8L anyway...

Well, instead of stowing stuff in a door pocket, it's now loose on the floor between the seats, where it's much more likely to fly about and hit me in an accident. Of course, maybe the door pocket thing isn't true.

I think the idea is more that in general you and your passengers have things inside your purse, briefcase, small backpack, jacket, or whatever, rather than that you come empty-handed yet keep little pieces of something lying around. There are still the pockets on the front seats which keep things inside, and now the shelf which encloses them fairly well with a rubber floor.

I think the idea is more that in general you and your passengers have things inside your purse, briefcase, small backpack, jacket, or whatever, rather than that you come empty-handed yet keep little pieces of something lying around. There are still the pockets on the front seats which keep things inside, and now the shelf which encloses them fairly well with a rubber floor.

For me personally the center console is a non-issue. I NEVER have things loose unless its groceries... and those go in the trunk/frunk. I can see how it could be an issue for others though, but I personally have my phone/wallet in my pocket when I drive.

We keep stuff in our current car full time. Things like flashlights, medical kits, makeup, chapstick, Clif bars, sunglasses, tissues, pencils, pad, coins, Execedrin, etc. Some of that can go in the glove box, but then you can't safely get to it while driving. That means it gets left out in the open, which looks ugly at best.

Heck, where are you going to keep the J1772 adapter? Let it bounce around in the back or in the frunk?

We keep stuff in our current car full time. Things like flashlights, medical kits, makeup, chapstick, Clif bars, sunglasses, tissues, pencils, pad, coins, Execedrin, etc. Some of that can go in the glove box, but then you can't safely get to it while driving. That means it gets left out in the open, which looks ugly at best.

Heck, where are you going to keep the J1772 adapter? Let it bounce around in the back or in the frunk?

The items you mention would seem to fit in two groups: larger items which are not used while driving (flashlights, medical kits, J1772 adapter, perhaps warning triangle, something warm to wear), and smaller items used during driving (the rest).

In the Model S, I intend to keep the first group in something like a sports bag in the rear below the surface (where the rear-facing seats would get folded down). If I would expect to use the J1772 adapter frequently (which I don't), I'd keep it in the small lowered area behind the left rear wheel (there is small "cave" downwards).

The other items you mention I would usually have with me in a backpack or so, but otherwise they could go in a small bag/organizer which could reside on the open space of the center console, or when that is used for something else, it could just be on the floor in front of the passenger seat, for example. (That's where I usually have my backpack in a "conventional" car, also when I sit on the passenger seat.) EDIT: That would also have the advantage that if I need to park in a slightly suspect area, I can easily put this bag in the frunk, so that the car not only looks empty, but also so that those items are actually (more) safe. Or that I can take it inside to change the contents etc. And it could easily be passed to passengers in the second or third row.)

Sunglasses would of course go in the shelf below the touchscreen (and I'd take them with me when leaving the car). Tissues perhaps in the front pockets of the seats, when they need to be available.

Last edited:
My current slk 350 have plenty of storage compartments. However, I usually end up having lots of things riding with me in the open anyway it would seem. So for me I could care less about having more compartment that I will fill up with stuff that I really don't need to carry arround.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I asked my wife the same question during our test drive. She told me it is convenient to be able to put her purse in that space between the seats. I will be carrying a man purse whenever I need to drive the Model S.

FWIW, I ended up finalizing my order today. Fully loaded MSP:
Model S Final Order.png

So they're not including the tax credit in the final price now. That's smart I think.

It's actually an annoying sleight of hand.

They don't show it to you until you hit "Finalize." Then they show it to you.

And then, just when you think you're all done and have your out-the-door price, when you Confirm the Finalization, that's when they add in the "Tesla Personal Delivery" and "Final inspection, prep, and coordination" fees ($1170).

And in CA, you pay sales tax on that! (I don't blame Tesla for this last bit).

I think it's too bad that as part of Musk's attempt to make the car buying experience better, they decided not to fix the lame delivery and inspection fees tack on practice. We just got a law passed on airline fees - it appears to me that the same thing needs to happen with cars as well.

Okay, so just to confirm (since it doesn't say "included" on the dashed lines), you *did* opt for the 21's, the CF spoiler, CF dash, and active air suspension... correct? Because I think you can opt to not have those items if you don't want them.

Man... this car will awesome!

Um, yeah, the dotted lines means there's no additional charge. Like for the 85kWh battery as well as the spoiler.