Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Having my model Y shipped--recommended carriers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm shipping my MY from the Boston area to LA for a few months, then back. Can anyone recommend reliable carriers that will do this? I'm also wondering about enclosed vs uncovered trailers, and any other advice you might add. Thanks!

Ok--no takers. Well, we decided to drive! Any thoughts about a Boston to LA drive in mid-September? Recommended routes, hotels, superchargers? It's not a sightseeing trip, but more of a get there quick-ish and maybe drive through some beautiful scenery.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't done this exact drive, but I have done a lot of road trips lately.

When I did a quick check in abetterrouteplanner.com, it recommended that the quickest route would be to stay on I-80 until Salt Lake City, but I think the alternative route it suggests would be easier and prettier.

That is, at Cleveland drop down to Columbus, OH, and take I-70 until it ends at I-15 south of Salt Lake City. It's estimated to take only an hour longer. You avoid the traffic around Chicago, and in my opinion, Kansas and Colorado are more interesting drives than Nebraska and Wyoming.

Screen Shot 2023-09-11 at 1.17.31 PM.png

re shipping: I use Montway. So far good service from their shippers. I reversed my plan from driving across the country New Hampshire to San Diego to shipping. I'm not adjusting to the stress of phantom braking and other nerve-wracking "features" of my current Tesla. FWIW, I've taken multiple routes across the country depending on how I feel about driving all day for 6-7 days with semi trucks vs smaller roads that take longer. Toss up.