Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone seen a public J1772 charging station like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BrettS

Mar 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
IMG_0010.jpg
I’m in the middle of a small road trip with my Model S and was a bit surprised and happy to discover they the hotel I’m in for tonight and tomorrow had a charging station. I’m actually just 4 miles away from a super charger and had planned to charge there, but it would be much more convenient to charge at the hotel. Unfortunately the guy behind the front desk has no idea how to make it actually provide power to the car.

Have any of you guys seen a charging station like this and know how to activate it? I tried both sides, but the light on the car stays blue and the screen connected to charger, but no power provided. The charging station has what appears to be an RFID reader and I tried tapping my hotel room key on it and the guy from the front desk tried his master key, but neither helped.

There are red, blue, and green lights on the charging station and the green lights are on for both sides.

I’m in the middle of a small road trip with my Model S and was a bit surprised and happy to discover they the hotel I’m in for tonight and tomorrow had a charging station. I’m actually just 4 miles away from a super charger and had planned to charge there, but it would be much more convenient to charge at the hotel. Unfortunately the guy behind the front desk has no idea how to make it actually provide power to the car.

Have any of you guys seen a charging station like this and know how to activate it? I tried both sides, but the light on the car stays blue and the screen connected to charger, but no power provided. The charging station has what appears to be an RFID reader and I tried tapping my hotel room key on it and the guy from the front desk tried his master key, but neither helped.

There are red, blue, and green lights on the charging station and the green lights are on for both sides.
Brett, if you attached a photo, it didn't come through on the post. That would be helpful.
Does the charger have a network name like Chargepoint or Blink? Normally, you need the network card to use RFID reader.
But, the networks also show an 800 number you can call to have them activate over the phone.
If it has the RFID reader it is most likely part of an EV charging network, not just a local hotel installation.

You're also 4 miles from a supercharger at a Sonny's BBQ. Though I imagine you're hoping to charge up overnight and skip the stop.View attachment 236726

Yeah, that’s where I charged tonight before I checked into the hotel since I didn’t even realize the hotel had a charging station. It worked out well because we needed dinner then anyway, but for tomorrow night it would be a lot more convenient to just charge overnight at the hotel. Worst case we just do dinner at the supercharger again. There were a few places near there.

Reactions: SM18
Most likely, it is a private RFID charger that is not hooked up to a bigger public charging network company.

If so, only an owner who bought that particular charger would have RFID card(s).

It’s in the hotel parking lot and provided for use of hotel guests, at least according to the front desk guy... he just doesn’t know how to turn it on. He did say that he will leave a note for maintenance and hopefully they’ll figure it out for me tomorrow

So I’m charging now. The parking spots by the charger had a sign stating that they were only for use by electric cars while charging, but the guy from the front desk said that we could leave the car there anyway. I left the car plugged in even though it wasn’t working because I didn’t want to appear like one of those people who felt I could just park in the EV charging spot without actually using it.

Anyway, a few minutes ago I got a notice from the Tesla app that said “charging interrupted at 89%” which struck me as a bit odd because A I didn’t think it was charging and B I had pulled In at 86%. I pulled up the Tesla app and it showed that the car was charging at 6kw. I went down to see what was going on and the car was indeed charging (and now the blue light on the charging station was flashing).

As I came back in the guy from the front desk said that their engineer was still on site and was able to turn it on for me. He warned me that they have an inspection tomorrow and it needs to be off for the inspection, but then they can turn it back on.

It wasn’t totally clear what he meant, but it sounds like it’s so new that they haven’t had their electrical inspection on it yet, but they turned it on for me anyway. In any case the car was able to get topped off tonight and I’ll be able to charge here tomorrow night as well, so I’m happy:)