Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone found an elegant solution for transporting fishing rods in the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found an elegant solution for transporting fishing rods in the Model Y? I have a 12’ surf rod that breaks down into two 6’ pieces. I can rest it over the rear shelf and back seat so that it passes between the two front seats. I would like something more secure, and maybe less distracting.

Also beware that a hard stop might throw that cargo into the screen, a ~$1,500 repair.

I was able to sneak something similar through the trunk and into the space between the front passenger seat and door... I don't remember what it was anymore, not a fishing pole.

If you're driving alone, you could also lower the front passenger seat all the way back and place things over top.

I think you're on the right track with running them through the center. Perhaps some sort of a DIY case wrapped in soft fabric would be best... perhaps with a way to secure it from forward motion (hooks for the LATCH anchors?).

Good luck!

Reactions: Mr. Decaf
Just rereading your post again, perhaps I misunderstood. Are your back seats down? Surely with the back seats down you can fit a 6' pole.
The back seats are up, and the center console lid is up. You are correct about the possibility of serious damage to the screen in the event of sudden braking. I haven’t actually driven with it like that. There are rod holders designed to hold rods overhead in some cars. I haven’t found anything that looks like it would work in the Model Y. My best bet might be something that attaches to the roof rack.

I moved (10) 8-ft 2x4s in my Model 3 buy putting the back seats down and sliding them through between the front seats. I wrapped them in a blanket so they didn't scratch anything up. I drove *extra* cautiously and was sure not to stop abruptly.

For fishing poles, just putting one rear seat down and sliding them in from the trunk would be the route I would go. Perhaps wrapping them in a blanket or some sort of cover would be prudent to avoid hooking or scratching anything.

Reactions: Mr. Decaf
Has anyone found an elegant solution for transporting fishing rods in the Model Y? I have a 12’ surf rod that breaks down into two 6’ pieces. I can rest it over the rear shelf and back seat so that it passes between the two front seats. I would like something more secure, and maybe less distracting.
Send your butler ahead with them. He can set out cold beer while waiting for you

Has anyone found an elegant solution for transporting fishing rods in the Model Y?
I have a 12’ surf rod that breaks down into two 6’ pieces.
I can rest it over the rear shelf and back seat so that it passes between the two front seats.
I would like something more secure, and maybe less distracting.

Just go to an hardware store and get a white 6-in PVC S&D (Sewer and Drain) pipe and put a Cap at each end.
And you can secure the tube with some bungee cord.

6-inch S&W Pipe.jpg
You could also carry the tube on top of your roof using a temporary surfboard type of rack, so you can still have 5 seats.

Surfboard Rack .jpg

Otherwise, this guy built a long box to carry skis inside his Model X.

MX - Ski Box .jpg

And for his Model 3, this guy built a pass through for his skis.

M3 - Ski Tunnel .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: father_of_6
If you really want to get an elegant solution you could use one of those Yakima accessories: