Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same problem with my spoiler as well. Between the spoiler and the backup camera issue it has been like pulling teeth to get service to resolve. They went through 2 spoilers and could not get a clean install before just giving me one to get installed elsewhere. Scratched my bumper on the first install, and demolished the wrap during the 2nd.

Northern CA Mobile service refused to install mine since I have Xpel PPF on the trunk. They just handed me the spoiler .......

Crappy mfr and design. Every single one fits differently and carbon fiber is rather rigid. I've not seen a single perfect one personally and I've gone through 4 myself attached and at least 10 dry fit.

I know what you are going though. I had 16 spoilers dry fit and finally accepted one that only had a very slight gap at the very end on the passenger side. They wouldn't install it though ...

I had the same problem with my spoiler as well. Between the spoiler and the backup camera issue it has been like pulling teeth to get service to resolve. They went through 2 spoilers and could not get a clean install before just giving me one to get installed elsewhere. Scratched my bumper on the first install, and demolished the wrap during the 2nd.

Third party installer (in this case, the guy that did my wrap) did an incredible job and we no longer have a gap on either side, and it's straight and centered. Tesla finally did agree to cover the damages, but we're still waiting on the camera.

It's news to me that the spoiler being crooked is a common issue, but in a way I'm not surprised. The whole shipping of P3D's with pieces delivered 6-12 months after the car was delivered was a nightmare all around (for service, for customers, for shareholders dealing with the Model 3 ramp pain, etc...)

View attachment 470877 View attachment 470878

tbh I think there are a lot of people who don't care, even though I think given how much we spent on these we should. It's getting to the point it's just stupid. If they would take the spoiler and refund me the price of it I would take it. Honestly it's probably the most cost effective solution for tesla as who knows how much they've wasted dry fitting 10+ spoilers to my car at this point

Reactions: nickhauenstein
Going on 2 weeks tomorrow. So far it seems to be holding. The ends have some “play”. Meaning if you push hard on it it will compress against the trunk a little bit more. The drivers side less than the passenger. I’d say the amount of play is about the same if you were to compress the double sided tape? Although the passenger side is a hair more...even if I try to pull it away from the trunk it doesn’t budge. And the amount of pressure it takes to compress it is FAR less than it took to get it flush when it was being dry fit, which was barely any pressure. Excuse the dirt/ pollen, it’s gonna rain tomorrow and didn’t bother to wash the car.

View attachment 417470 View attachment 417471

5 month update. Still have that 1mm play on the passenger side corner...where I can compress it against the trunk. Its not getting worse so far. It’s weird. it’s as if the double sided tape stretched...and that’s what is compressing. I know both sides of the tape are still fully adhered to the trunk and spoiler...because when I’m shooting my pressure washer up from the bottom of the spoiler, water doesn’t come out the top...and when blowing air under/on top of the spoiler after washing the car...,water doesn’t come out the other side. Here’s how it looks now.

75C3CE61-04D4-4FD9-BEC3-2B217B0729BC.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I got mine last Jan or so. The left side isn't completely flush but I don't care enough to make a special trip. I'll have them glue it on better whenever I get out to service again. My only issue is that I had ceramic and told them to not install it because my detailer was going to remove the ceramic from that section and install it. The goofballs installed it anyway. Knock on wood but it has remained in place.

My spoiler was installed earlier this week and the fitment seems pretty good.

Minimal gap for the most part, but the ends both could fit a penny.

If it stays on through a freezing winter and a scorching summer in Texas I'll be a happy camper.

The mobile technician used some plastic guides on both ends to center the spoiler during dry fitment. He also taped first and marked the center on the tape before cutting the tape and removing the adhesive back for the final install.

After the install he applied a lot of pressure and taped it tight. I was told to leave it like that as long as possible with a minimum of 1.5 hrs.

It sounds like they've really improved their installation procedure.

20191029_191824.jpg
20191029_191720.jpg 20191029_191211.jpg

There's no new revision, the part number is the same as last time, ending in -00. Manufacturing date of May 25th, 2019.
I ask him to do a dry fit and if it doesn't look like it's going to install nice, not to bother.

So are you waiting for another batch? I’ve got a tech coming Nov 15 for an assortment of issues....the Spoiler being one. I’m not sure what he’s going to do. I may just try and get him to reseat the ends with more tape...don’t know if he’s bringing another Spoiler. Both ends are lifting. Drivers side is worse.
Mines not too extremely bad and don’t know if another Spoiler would be worse, most likely that’s the case. Trying to decide if I should just ‘live with it’ but we shouldn’t have to make that decision after what we spent in these cars. These are closeups....doesn’t look quite that bad at normal viewing distance but it is what it is. Again it’s just the ends.....middle is tight. Like everyone I can physically push on each end and ‘close the gap’ but it springs back immediately. Bad mold initially. Or again like everyone says variances in the trunks.
C9913820-CFFF-4F70-B31E-C56072AE9E83.jpeg
B58DCC60-A223-4E1D-BD32-FE8CED2ACE5A.jpeg
3AD06EB5-72AF-4EBB-92C3-03772894F418.jpeg

Ski

Last edited:
IMO, that's bad enough to warranty a replacement and I wouldn't wait too long to put the request in the system seeing how Tesla starting limit their historical no questions ask policy to the pretty hardline if its a users fault, I'm not going to take care of it approach.

So are you waiting for another batch?

The tech did end up installing one. So far it looks good, but it's been raining so I can't really take a good photo. Certainly better than the previous install.

After, the tech did mention that although the part number might be the same, what happened was Tesla was trying to pump out so many of the spoilers in a short time early on. That meant the spoilers were being taken out of the mold too early and that was causing deformation in the curve which caused a lot of these fitment issues.

We'll see how it's holding in a week's time, hopefully it stays.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
After, the tech did mention that although the part number might be the same, what happened was Tesla was trying to pump out so many of the spoilers in a short time early on. That meant the spoilers were being taken out of the mold too early and that was causing deformation in the curve which caused a lot of these fitment issues.

Interesting ..... so was it the tech's understanding that its Tesla who is actually making the spoilers ?

Good Luck - I hope your spoiler holds !!

I find it strange people are posting like this is a new problem or that they're surprised it's starting to separate. This seems like a pretty fundamental design and mfr flaw with these. Some people are just ok with the gap, I personally think it's silly.

Read up through the thread, if you want this properly fixed tesla really has to redesign these. The Material is too rigid, the fit tolerances too tight, and the mfr is too varied.