Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Roadster HPC 70amp - re-installed after removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't drive a Roadster, but I'm impressed with Tesla's quick response on this.

Same here. Kudos to Tesla for quickly addressing this.

- - - Updated - - -

We (Roadster owners, all EV owners) need to remember that most charging locations are due in a large part as a courtesy from the location owner -- they may not see the benefit if we don't remember to stop in, let them know we used it, thank them, patronize their business, etc. Not saying that's what happened here, but they may not know the difference between a supercharger and a Roadster HPC and thought it was okay to pull it.

Excellent point!

a) I applaud Tesla for taking quick action.

b) I also conclude that Bonnie carries a tremendous amount of weight with TM. Constant updates, quick responses. That's all well and good and how it should be, but my experience has not been the same. Local SvC is responsive to me, but contacting HQ sometimes takes several days to a week for me to get a response, let alone action on the issue at hand. Bonnie did you go through "normal channels" or do you have inside contacts?

Bonnie, I have to hand it to you! You must be a VITO! (Very Important Tesla Owner!) My emails to Tesla go unanswered or answered with boiler-plate. I have begged and pleaded to be on the list to receive emails (like for supercharger openings) and have received nothing despite having checked that little box on my personal page. [Sigh!]

But happy to hear that they are so responsive to the Roadster pioneers. :smile:

a) I applaud Tesla for taking quick action.

b) I also conclude that Bonnie carries a tremendous amount of weight with TM. Constant updates, quick responses. That's all well and good and how it should be, but my experience has not been the same. Local SvC is responsive to me, but contacting HQ sometimes takes several days to a week for me to get a response, let alone action on the issue at hand. Bonnie did you go through "normal channels" or do you have inside contacts?

Bonnie, I have to hand it to you! You must be a VITO! (Very Important Tesla Owner!) My emails to Tesla go unanswered or answered with boiler-plate. I have begged and pleaded to be on the list to receive emails (like for supercharger openings) and have received nothing despite having checked that little box on my personal page. [Sigh!]

But happy to hear that they are so responsive to the Roadster pioneers. :smile:

Fair points. Yes, I quickly reached out to key people I know within Tesla with a 'Whoa!' kind of email over Harris Ranch, not sent to a generic email address.

So a few things that probably make a difference:

• Tesla does hold their 'first generation Roadster owners' in high regard. I've always felt that respect from them. But it's a two-way street on that respect thing, I don't think I've ever gone in demanding things, either.
  • I also am near HQ, so that has allowed me to get to know a lot of the key people over the years. (Remember, I used to take my Roadster to Menlo Park 'back in the day' for service & hung out for the day - and the folks that were there then have either left or moved up. Most moved up.)
  • TMC Connect and other conferences - lots of interaction within Tesla as we organized, so of course I got to know people first hand.
  • And I've done a TON of events for both Tesla and EV groups. And Tesla appreciates that and remembers. Again, because I'm near HQ, it's probably easier to get to know key people.

All that said, as a Signature Model X reservation holder (#2!!), I didn't have any special treatment or knowledge that the rest of you received. I'm in line with everyone else, as I should be.

Maybe we should reinstate Bonnie's more royal title given to her not by TM HQ but by an argumentative TMC forum member :wink:

All kidding aside.............Nice going Bonnie and TM!

I added Harris Ranch back to my Roadster map. I looked on Plugshare...and it looks like somebody removed it. So I added it again, but noted that the reinstall has not been tested yet. So if anybody uses it, or hears of it being tested somehow, please check in on Plugshare! Thanks.

I was not aware the old one was converted. It wasn't the last time I used it (though all the Rabobank ones were) - maybe someone else can speak to that. I believe the new one is HPC, Roadster only (which is why there is an adapter there for Model S).

Not sure what is going on here, but from another thread ...

Originally Posted by GabrielB I was at the Harris Ranch SC Tuesday 18th...
[snip power fault & diesel generator story]
As to the single old Model S Supercharger and the single old 70A Clipper Creek Roadster Charger that was at the Shell Station. They are both GONE. Not only are they gone but all the electrical conduit and peripheral stuff is gone as well. Holes filled, walls repainted, and fresh pavers have filled in the sidewalk were the equipment used to be. All EV signage is gone. The only remnant is that the one pull in parking spot still has a green curb.

Did anyone know this was happening? I'm sending a note out to Tesla right now to find out why. A lot of us have relied on that HPC.

Bonnie,
Thank you for investigating this and getting it fixed. I had read quite a few conflicting questions and answers in different threads as to the status of the old charging equipment at the Subway/Shell Station. Was it a Supercharger? a Roadster HPC, a HPWC? a Model S adapter? So while I was charging my MS-P85 (#R9) via the diesel generator, I walked over to do as accurate an exam and report as I could, as I was familiar with and had pictures of what used to be there. I am glad my description was enough proof that something was really wrong, and Tesla stepped in to get it restored quickly. Again Kudos to you and the Charging Infrastructure Team.

And thanks to you, Gabriel, for posting the information. You probably saved a Roadster owner from a really big problem, since there are not other options in the area. :)

Update from Tesla 3 days ago regarding this HPC:

Just in case, we replaced the whole Roadster connector while we had someone out there last week. It had a good life, just shy of 5 years. We’ll salvage it for parts so that others we have kicking around can continue to live on.

Does anyone have an update regarding being able to charge a Roadster (HPC) at the Harris Ranch exit off highway 5?
Websites still show it (HPC) at gas station across the street!
I have an adapter and can use a model S charger as well if necessary. Seems crazy that Harris likely has only S superchargers and no standard S!
I intend to drive from SF area (Burlingame) to LA later this week and need to find a
70A charge location somewhere around that location, unless driving along the coast is the only/better way to go.
Anyone with suggested routes/chargers along the way from SF to LA would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ray

Does anyone have an update regarding being able to charge a Roadster (HPC) at the Harris Ranch exit off highway 5?
I have an adapter and can use a model S charger as well if necessary. Seems crazy that Harris likely has only S superchargers and no standard S!
I intend to drive from SF area (Burlingame) to LA later this week and need to find a
70A charge location somewhere around that location, unless driving along the coast is the only/better way to go.
Anyone with suggested routes/chargers along the way from SF to LA would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ray

It's always been across the street at the Shell station.

Thanks Ray

It's always been across the street at the Shell station.

Here is a picture I took from the Supercharger of where it is...

21893731890_af13f99b60_c.jpgEveryone knows the @TeslaMotors Superchargers at Harris Ranch. What about the Roadster one across the street? by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

and here is a picture of a Roadster that was charging when I was driving by in my S.

21475520783_507343f355_c.jpgIMG_20151010_181947 by Dennis Pascual, on Flickr

Hope that helps clarify @Bonnie's statement for @Ray B

Reactions: Ulmo