Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree that autopilot is one of the most important features of Tesla as a brand and is a must have.

I personally would not buy one without premium interior package, but I'm not going to say it's required for everyone.

I do think you need to spend some time in the seats. With a commute that long, you might want to spend extra money on more comfortable/supportive seats.

@khalkhin is right, switch from normal car to Model S is like switch from Nokia to iPhone, I do lose some convenience with battery life (range), but I gained more from functionality. Then the question is whether to have a 128G iphone instead of 16G? most of the time 16G is enough, and more reasons I choose S60 I explained here: Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)
And trust @RogerHScott, Autopilot is essential on my purchase priority list and I use it 90% of the time.
Other than that I'd choose sunroof for better headroom, I have red color and premium package, I'd say the latter one is not essential. But I do love HEPA filter and power liftgate.

BTW, I just completed a 650 miles trip from bay area to Reno for gigafactory opening with my S60, everything is smooth except waiting in the supercharging station.
And Model 3 is a beauty:

IMG_0817.jpg
P1020162.jpg
P1020163.jpg
P1020164.jpg

Last edited:
I picked the pano roof more for the extra headroom. You may not need it though.

I am 6'3" and the head room without pano roof is more than sufficient. In truth, I have not sat in the back yet; no one has yet successfully challenged me to give up the driver's seat.

The black textile seats seem fine and are apparently pretty tough[/QUOTE said:
Black textile seats are comfortable and nice. Had the next gen on the test drives and they were nice as well. We are moving to warmer climes and there was no ventilated seat option; leather seemed hot and uncomfortable given that so we went vegan and have not regretted it.

If you were going to pick just one option, AP is the one to get! A base Tesla is still a fantastic car and allows you to start driving the future NOW :) You can always upgrade the battery (to 75kwh) and add aftermarket wheels and sound system later, if you like.

The world is divided into two kinds of people: those who think AP is gimmicky and those who've actually used it. :)

AP: I would prefer that I never have to have another car without it. That's the option!

S60 with no options here. No point in autopilot as no roads with limit over 55 and all but 5 mi of them 2 lane. Haven't turned the radio on in at least 2 years. Hate sunroofs. Performance of base version is superior to any other car I have owned. Base car is nicer than my last BMW or Mercedes.. Range will allow me to drive all the way around the island. There's always someone with something better than what you have, so enjoy your S60 and leaving some money in the bank!
I don't think you guys know what you are talking about when you talk about base models.

As its been seen before.....this constitutes a base M3. No batteries and no motor. Your $1k deposit pays for the whole car. This is the red M3 that they rolled out during the review. It now has drooping mirrors and everything.

Its the same car as privaters post above: Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

woodenM3.jpg

I'll weigh in, since I recently struggled with the same question. My recommendation is one of these 2:
1) Base model with autopilot only
2) Base model + next gen seats + premium interior.

The reason for the above, is that the textile seats are trimmed in vinyl, and the non-premium interior is trimmed in vinyl on the lower dash, top of doors, door armrests, and console armrests. Choosing premium interior, adds features but also changes the vinyl covered parts mentioned to leather.

If you only want the leather seats, then all that vinyl is a poor match to the nice seat material. Conversely, if you want one of the features in the premium interior, then the vinyl on the textile seats is a poor match for the nice armrests, etc.

The premium interior is a lot of value for the asking price. Price a few Porsche options on their website...I think you can get the HVAC vent louvers covered in leather for $1500 :) I chose to get premium, and then applied the next-gen seats to match the material as mentioned above (option 2). Added $5.5k total, and I am very happy with it. Option 1) would have also been great, and reduced my price by 8%... significant, but not enough savings to justify the demerits for me.

FYI, The base car has front seat heaters, so unless you will regularly have rear passengers or need a warm wheel, I think it's poor value even here in the snow belt.

• Informative
Reactions: privater
@khalkhin is right, switch from normal car to Model S is like switch from Nokia to iPhone, I do lose some convenience with battery life (range), but I gained more from functionality. Then the question is whether to have a 128G iphone instead of 16G? most of the time 16G is enough, and more reasons I choose S60 I explained here: Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)
And trust @RogerHScott, Autopilot is essential on my purchase priority list and I use it 90% of the time.
Other than that I'd choose sunroof for better headroom, I have red color and premium package, I'd say the latter one is not essential. But I do love HEPA filter and power liftgate.

BTW, I just completed a 650 miles trip from bay area to Reno for gigafactory opening with my S60, everything is smooth except waiting in the supercharging station.
And Model 3 is a beauty:

View attachment 188203 View attachment 188204 View attachment 188205 View attachment 188206

Thanks a lot for the pics of the M3. I like the top down hood shot - can finally see the shape of the front from that angle. V nice.

85D with no other options than autopilot. I wanted to get the car with the best range and didn't want to pay the extra $20k for the P. I origInally wanted the pano roof, next gen seats, and premium interior, but honestly after 1 year and 28k miles, I don't really care. Get the base model if it's what you want - it's still awesome! But you can't skip autopilot.

Like most here, I agree. The base model is better than almost (all?) any other car in it's class and up. To me AP is a must have but like the Hawaii guy :) it's not conducive to us all. I too thought about getting the basic seats but could not find a car with them so rather than chancing it I upgraded.

Like most here, I agree. The base model is better than almost (all?) any other car in it's class and up. To me AP is a must have but like the Hawaii guy :) it's not conducive to us all. I too thought about getting the basic seats but could not find a car with them so rather than chancing it I upgraded.
One of the reasons I'm getting all options is not because I want them all, however it appears to me that a fully optioned car is very easy to sell.

I don't think you guys know what you are talking about when you talk about base models.

As its been seen before.....this constitutes a base M3. No batteries and no motor. Your $1k deposit pays for the whole car. This is the red M3 that they rolled out during the review. It now has drooping mirrors and everything.

Its the same car as privaters post above: Happy with base Model S 60 with no upgrades?

View attachment 188215

So I am guessing no OTA battery upgrade;)