Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guessing this won't buff out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to my car this AM and saw a bag on the window. Found a note indicating that the author of the note hit my car late last night. Very nice of him to leave a note.

However, how the hell do you hit a car that is all alone in a parking lot.

2017-08-16%2008.26.06.jpg

My guess (although I have not evidence of this) was a bit too much to drink. However, he did leave a note. So he was honest about it.

Still kinda sucks on a brand new 100D. XPEL wrap didn't save me.

Although you can see it in the picture, the bumper is actually cracked.

2017-08-16%2008.26.16.jpg

Does anyone know how to gather information to submit a diminished value claim?

Did you get a price for the repair?
Please tell us your final cost when you get your Tesla bumper all repaired.
I would love to know if you are going to replace the bumper or something else?
Time line of how long it takes to get part and time at body shop.

I got quotes from 1800-2200, and about $1000 from a "non approved" shop.

My Tesla-authorized shop new-bumper quote of $3600 (excludes Xpel) is twice as expensive as the $1800 quote you received from your Tesla shop. Even your $2200 estimate is $1400 less. Your non-approved quote is more than 3.5 times less expensive.

My shop is looking at pocketing upwards of $2600 more. The shop manager advised the multi-coat paint is not an easy thing to get right. ??? I know labor can vary quite a bit depending on location. Apparently those rates are off the charts in South Florida.

It costs a shop money to become certified to work on Teslas. It appears that expense is subsequently passed on to their Tesla customers. A bumper replacement is not brain surgery, but they charge like it is - at least down here they do.

My shop is looking at pocketing upwards of $2600 more. The shop manager advised the multi-coat paint is not an easy thing to get right. ??? I know labor can vary quite a bit depending on location. Apparently those rates are off the charts in South Florida.

That guy is full of @#$%. Paint is paint, even the multicoat white or red. I've had my white one repainted by a non-certified shop and there was no additional charge for the paint. There is NOTHING special about Tesla's paint. In fact, many people here have pointed out that the paint leaves a lot to be desired compared to other luxury cars.

Tesla Authorized shop here in SD wanted to fully replaced the bumper cover for a scratch that didn't even get through the paint down to the primer. Total estimate was $3600. I bought a Rupes random orbital and buffing and polishing compound and buffed it out myself, and then pocketed the insurance check from the guy that "tapped" the car.

My Tesla-authorized shop new-bumper quote of $3600 (excludes Xpel) is twice as expensive as the $1800 quote you received from your Tesla shop. Even your $2200 estimate is $1400 less. Your non-approved quote is more than 3.5 times less expensive.

It costs a shop money to become certified to work on Teslas. It appears that expense is subsequently passed on to their Tesla customers. A bumper replacement is not brain surgery, but they charge like it is - at least down here they do.

So my friend had about the same kind of front bumper scrape on drivers side.
No underlying damage to sensors.
She just hates the NASCAR race look.

Authorized Tesla Body Shop quote for 2017 Tesla Model S Red
Cincinnati Ohio.
New Bumper Total $1,335
Repair scrapes on the original bumper Total $1,075
(Aprox. 4 days to complete after the ordered bumper comes in)

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Those repair figures are nuts. It took me, a completely unskilled person in regards to car repair, around 25 mins to remove the bumper cover. Replacing it, with the help of another person to take the weight and balance took around 45 mins. I stress, these times would have been a lot less with some experience. I used the instructions posted on this site in relation to removal of headlights to complete the job. The remaining costs are the part and paint. In Australia, Sydney, known for its exorbitant prices, a non Tesla shop has quoted me $700 Australian dollars to paint the bumper bar.
There would be another say 30 minutes to swap over the sensors and fog lights/ louvres, but that really is it.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
So I received the initial estimate of $1,253 from Geico, excluding the XPEL wrap which will need to be redone on the hood and bumper.

$415 for the bumper
$10 for the silver grill between bumper and hood
plus 6 hours paint labor and 5.5 hours body labor

I am bringing this to the Tesla approved body shop this afternoon. My guess is this initial estimate is understated.

XPEL will be between $1k - $1.5k to replace full hood and bumper.

Geico confirmed that they cover diminished value but I need to support the amount. I am told they will fight and challenge but it is worth a shot.

So I received the initial estimate of $1,253 from Geico, excluding the XPEL wrap which will need to be redone on the hood and bumper.

$415 for the bumper
$10 for the silver grill between bumper and hood
plus 6 hours paint labor and 5.5 hours body labor

I am bringing this to the Tesla approved body shop this afternoon. My guess is this initial estimate is understated.

XPEL will be between $1k - $1.5k to replace full hood and bumper.

Geico confirmed that they cover diminished value but I need to support the amount. I am told they will fight and challenge but it is worth a shot.
Keep us updated. Thanks.

Parts are in and I have scheduled the work to be performed while I am away for work. The body shop offered to drive me home (45 minutes) from the shop when I drop my car off on Friday the 8th. Will pick up when I return from business travel a week and a half later.

Reactions: Cyclone
Well, I finally picked up my car yesterday. While it looks as good as it did when new, GEICO failed to live up to its obligation to make me whole and in the same situation I was in prior to their insured hitting my car. They objected to the hourly rate charged by the Tesla factory authorized auto body shop and stuck me with $612.58 which was the amount above what they we willing to pay.

I feel that GEICO is essentially a bully in this situation. Their insured hit me and they accepted full liability. I went to one of two Tesla authorized auto body shops in the state. They charge $110/hr for paint and body work. Other shop charges $115/hr. GEICO says they will only pay $60/hr and refused to budge. What were my options? I couldn't have another shop work on the car since they are not authorized by Tesla and the sensors were damaged. They said, they will only pay $60/hr and I can pay the rest.

I have filed a complaint with the CT Department of Insurance and also informed the insured that if GEICO fails to pay, I will be seeking reimbursement from him, either directly or via small claims court.

Overall, total cost of repair, including rewrap for XPEL was $5,700. It took three weeks from the time I dropped it off until I had it back again. Some time was lost arguing with GEICO and additional damage was discovered that required more parts from Tesla.

While I'm out $612, I have my car back and enjoyed driving her again.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn and RacerX
As far as Carfax showing accidents, i believe they only know of any accident on a car if there was a police report done.
My previous car slid on some ice into a curb and insurance took care of it but nothing about it showed up on carfax. Same with my sister backing into a concrete pole. Never showed up on carfax or autochex.

But those are just my experiences.
That’s definitely not correct. I had a cracked windshield replaced with an insurance claim and it was reported to Carfax somehow. There was no police report. I think repair shops report. It showed up as an accident.

Does anyone know definitively what gets reported to Carfax? My prior car was a 2012 Mitsubishi Evo X that got rear ended....minor damage since it was stop-and-go traffic. Total repairs were about $1,100 and paid by my insurance. It did NOT show up on the Carfax report. My wife's 2017 Audi Q7 was sideswiped on the driver side as some fool tried to steal a parking spot in a Costco shopping center. I believe the repairs were around $2,400. This repair showed up on the Carfax.

I ask because my 2017 MS was rear-ended. My insurance company estimated the cost to be around $2,800. Any idea if this is going to show up on the Carfax? Thanks.

Does anyone know definitively what gets reported to Carfax? My prior car was a 2012 Mitsubishi Evo X that got rear ended....minor damage since it was stop-and-go traffic. Total repairs were about $1,100 and paid by my insurance. It did NOT show up on the Carfax report. My wife's 2017 Audi Q7 was sideswiped on the driver side as some fool tried to steal a parking spot in a Costco shopping center. I believe the repairs were around $2,400. This repair showed up on the Carfax.

I ask because my 2017 MS was rear-ended. My insurance company estimated the cost to be around $2,800. Any idea if this is going to show up on the Carfax? Thanks.
Data in data out, just depends on the shop/company on if they report. Carfax is a tit for tat business model and charges consumers for it.