Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have come up with a ski rack alternative for my Model X that I am very happy with, so I thought I would share.

I had a bunch of roof rack mounted gear for my previous car, including a ski rack, and I already have a hitch mounted, tray style bike rack, so I really didn't want to spend $400 on another hitch bike rack that I wouldn't use, PLUS a ski rack attachment thing, all of which results in a very tall, wobbly, mess on the back of the car, and potential supercharger issues.

So I got a SportRack cargo basket for the hitch, and I was able to easily attach a regular ski rack to it, allowing me to carry 4 snowboards, or skis (might not work if you have really long skis) in a horizontal position behind the car. It's compact, way cheaper, useful for other things as well, and it folds up so you still back into a super charger!

I used a Thule ski rack, and it's attachment straps are mounted to the ski rack with a single bolt, the only thing I had to do was take one off, drill a hole in the aluminum, and move it close in by a few inches so it would fit the SportRack basket. The ski rack will also still work fine on a roof mount if you want.

Here's some pictures:
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg
IMG_0268.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg

Those are snowboards, not skis. Skis are longer.
Also what does it do to the rear sonar sensors? Don't know about your state, but here it would get you a ticket for hiding / obstructing the license plate if travelling in the folded position. I also would put those boards into a bag to keep out the grime and snow.

The car is 226cm wide, so you can fit almost any ski without it extending beyond the mirrors.

I don't drive with it in the upright position unless it's empty, which then does not obscure the license plate. This solution covers far less of the back then the hitch ski solutions sold by Tesla, Yakima, and Thule.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler and ModelX
Yeah, I used to have some 220+ cm skis but don't race DH any longer so I'm not too worried about that! :rolleyes::p;)

Thanks for sharing @NovemberXray! I have some Yakima FatCat 6's sitting around that I almost sold. I wonder if I can get those to work. Anyway, we finally took the X up for some skiing and our 2 pair fit inside just fine (6 seater).

IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

Here are a few photos of my roof box config and my ski rack config with the same base support.

I took sea sucker kayak bars and shortened the back one by 11cm. Also switched out as a later upgrade the inner suctioncup on that bar to a smaller one to fit better on the central roof strip.

I use an off the rack ski holder solution that I swap out for a Thule Touring Sport roof box.

When using the ski holder the free FWD works as normal. However, when using the roof box one has to override the censor from the touch screen to open properly. Minor inconvenience considering the benifirs.

I only wish there was a better way to protect the boards from road grime and salt.

I have similar trailer hitch carrier for my Tahoe that I load with stuff when we're packed full in the car to take to my cabin. I put whatever I carry on it in heavy duty garbage bags, then I tape them up with packing tape and strap it to the carrier. I did this with luggage recently when we had visitors. When I get to my cabin, I cut off the garbage bags and throw them out and everything inside is clean.

Pretty easy to hose off the boards...

There's no hosing off things when it's below freezing outside unless you take things inside and into the bathtub but the last thing I want through my drainage pipes and in my septic tank is road grime. I find it much easier just to put things like those snowboards in garbage bags.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shawn Snider
View attachment 208894 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892 View attachment 208893 I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

Here are a few photos of my roof box config and my ski rack config with the same base support.

I took sea sucker kayak bars and shortened the back one by 11cm. Also switched out as a later upgrade the inner suctioncup on that bar to a smaller one to fit better on the central roof strip.

I use an off the rack ski holder solution that I swap out for a Thule Touring Sport roof box.

When using the ski holder the free FWD works as normal. However, when using the roof box one has to override the censor from the touch screen to open properly. Minor inconvenience considering the benifirs.

I made a similar one to your second one last month (sorry forgot to post pics).

Also for anyone who is interested, seasucker now has their pre made ski rack available (finally and at a price).
Ski Rack

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Hi,

I have done a bit of research as well and the best thing I found for me is the MFT Backbox: BackBox_en | mft transport systems
Video at

it supports ski up to 187cm long.
It's tall enough for few more gears. So that's where I am going I think.
It looks like you need to also get the BackCarrier (Art. No. 1201) hitch mount. Also, it only comes with the small insert and if you wanted the medium or large insert to expand the area, that's also extra.

Does anyone know with certainty that this system is compatible with US/Canadian vehicles? Are the trailer light connection the same? Is the BackCarrier configured for a 2" hitch?

Here is my ski rack system. Love the others above. I used my old yakima bike rack, my thule long ski racks from my old roof rack, and a $35 hitch extender, so that I can open the back at all times. It folds down for parking or supercharging, and when up I can see out the back and with the camera. It locks the equipment and to to car. Currently holding 4 skis and 2 snowboards. Lots of room in the X, so don't miss my roof box for the rest of the equipment.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Could you use the seasuckers sideways on the back glass? That would allow the falcon wing doors to still work...

View attachment 208894 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892 View attachment 208893 I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

It looks like you need to also get the BackCarrier (Art. No. 1201) hitch mount. Also, it only comes with the small insert and if you wanted the medium or large insert to expand the area, that's also extra.

Does anyone know with certainty that this system is compatible with US/Canadian vehicles? Are the trailer light connection the same? Is the BackCarrier configured for a 2" hitch?

Hi,
I personally don't know however I could ask the supplier.
I think I will definitely be getting one, for winter ski/snowboard but also summer wakeboard/kite surf.

so just before I call them, if anyone has more question drop them here i'll ask everything in one go.

best
A

Very good solutions. Also interested to know how it affects range.