Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the dreaded "battery charge level is restricted" message yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thankfully they offered a rental car till the 6th that I will get today so it at least gets me through Halloween with the kids but was also fed a BS excuse when I asked if any 90 packs were available since 85s are not and was told they don't bump them up like that, has to stay the same as the vin. I know for fact that was a bold face lie and said as much as all 3 options refurb 85, new 85, and 90s have all been used to replace failed 85s. No ETA on when or where another pack will come from. Not happy with Tesla right now, I may not be able to keep this car as the battery warranty is up in a year and I have zero confidence in them on putting a good battery in at this point.
I can understand it’s annoying to have issues that means you need to have your car worked on, but as this is under warranty, and you got a rental in the meantime, why be not happy at Tesla?
Sure it’s the second battery, and you’re close to the end of the warranty, but it’s not something new. You knew eventually the warranty would be up.
According to this : https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
If the battery is replaced say at the last day of the 8 years, you still get 90 days (or more, depending on local legislation) of warranty.

According to this : https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf
If the battery is replaced say at the last day of the 8 years, you still get 90 days (or more, depending on local legislation) of warranty.

That only applies to parts you buy. Anything covered under the original warranty, is only covered until the original warranty ends, even if that is one day/mile after they replace the part:

Warranty Ending.png

Unless of course there is a law that forces them to cover it longer.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
Thankfully they offered a rental car till the 6th that I will get today so it at least gets me through Halloween with the kids but was also fed a BS excuse when I asked if any 90 packs were available since 85s are not and was told they don't bump them up like that, has to stay the same as the vin....

Tesla told me that this error is caused by a fault in the battery that has been fixed in the latest hardware version. I suspect you accidentally got one of the older versions where the fault was not fixed. I am sure they can make it right for you, if not already done and with the improved battery version.

I leave it up to you.

As for me, I appreciate that Tesla made my car safer, even if there is a slight difference in some aspects. Safety first.
pray the downgrades have nothing to do with safety, because if they did and Tesla made cars worse intionally and kept safety investigations a secret without issuing a recall it's horrendously bad for everyone involved.

They had my car nearly 3 weeks. All I got was (down-) upgraded software that cost me $370. They had told me they could not communicate with the car, several techs tried.
They ordered parts for the battery reseal bulletin, still waiting on a panhead screw. Then I got a text that said they want some drive cycles before performing the bulletin; but nothing about picking up the car.
I had to go to the service center to ask if I could have my car. They said next day. I'm lucky to only be 25 minute drive away.

Needless to say I'm not pleased with service. A simple phone call would've cleared a lot up, but for some reason that's not allowed anymore.

The message has not come back (yet), but I'm down about 25 miles range. They told me to come back in a month (for evaluation); or if the message comes back.

Still waiting on some parts; they suggested (and I authorized) a replacement MCU screen and Tegra upgrade. I've been driving it in the meantime.
Max range is now fairly consistent 202 miles, down about 40 miles from before the message appeared. I had not seen the message since; until:

I got a 12V battery warning on the IC yesterday, and for no reason clicked the red triangle at the top of the MCU expecting to see the 12V warning. Beneath the 12V warning was the "maximum battery charge" restricted message - I probably would never have even known it came back. Now when I touch the ! triangle, the screen fills up with time stamps of the "maximum..." message.

I tried to use the app to edit my service appointment and ask a question about DIY for the 12V replacement, and the app cancelled the appointment and made a new one. Communication being exclusively restricted to the app is beyond disastrous. I'm heading back to the SC after work to see what they have to say about all this. I cannot imagine how bad this would be if I lived over 200 miles from a SC.

Still waiting on some parts; they suggested (and I authorized) a replacement MCU screen and Tegra upgrade. I've been driving it in the meantime.
Max range is now fairly consistent 202 miles, down about 40 miles from before the message appeared. I had not seen the message since; until:

I got a 12V battery warning on the IC yesterday, and for no reason clicked the red triangle at the top of the MCU expecting to see the 12V warning. Beneath the 12V warning was the "maximum battery charge" restricted message - I probably would never have even known it came back. Now when I touch the ! triangle, the screen fills up with time stamps of the "maximum..." message.

I tried to use the app to edit my service appointment and ask a question about DIY for the 12V replacement, and the app cancelled the appointment and made a new one. Communication being exclusively restricted to the app is beyond disastrous. I'm heading back to the SC after work to see what they have to say about all this. I cannot imagine how bad this would be if I lived over 200 miles from a SC.

Are you artificially capped? Do you know what your cell voltage is at 100%?

I don't have the means to measure it myself, so I don't know if the reduction is through the firmware or the error or both. The error came first.
Supercharging is drastically reduced - after driving about 3 hours, down to about 10% (20 miles or so), peaked over 70kw and immediately plummeted into the 50's and was below 40kw around 50%.
Before all this I saw over 130kw and sustained over 110kw for a fair amount of time.
Now that I know the error message is coming back I have higher hope of getting a replacement, which would partially make up for the firmware nightmare I'm suffering through.